1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire David Culley as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 27, 2021.

?

Do you like the hire of David Culley?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2023.
  1. YES

10.9%
  2. NO

89.1%
  1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Asking for too much money and roster control....and you never been a HC?

RockFanFirst and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

To join this dumpster fire id ask for a lot too

DonkeyMagic, Nook and TWS1986 like this.
  3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Culley, a lifetime assistant coach, represents the *perception* of a culture change, when Easterby is still in charge with many of the same coaches in place. Culley is less likely to challenge the powers in charge with the Texans. The idea that this coach with this organisational structure will ever be a true contender is doubtful. Easterby, an unqualified executive, is not only incompetent, but he is also empowered by the owner and considers the dysfunction he has brought to the franchise evidence that the Krafts in New England are slandering him. The franchise has been a free fall since Easterby arrived and he has more power than ever. Good luck.

Richie_Rich, Htown Legend and Nook like this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The only coach we know that will be here is Kelly.

It seems they are replacing the rest.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm really at a loss with this franchise. I didn't watch a game this season and only a few last season. I should be furious, but a mild shake of the head is all I can muster.

It feels like 97-01 to me. The NFL isn't even a league this city is in. It's a damn shame too, because while we can be lackluster everywhere else, this city takes a backseat to nobody when it comes to football.

We deserve better, but alas this is reality.

Roc Paint, Nook and TWS1986 like this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm numb to it. Will wait to see how Deshaun responds. Otherwise, I don't care.

Seems like a terrible hire on its face. Would rather have had Leftwich, or about 10 other dudes.

UTSA2step and Nook like this.
  7. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

This post encapsulates the feeling of all Texan fans perfectly. **** this team, particularly ownership and management.

Roc Paint and Two Sandwiches like this.
  8. the shark

the shark Member

So they hire a coach that no other team even interviewed for their HC position. He's never been a coordinator in the NFL, and was over the Ravens passing game this past season (which sucked)??

This wasn't about hiring a coach who thinks outside of the box or that he's a leader of men. This was a hire that would fit in with Cal and Easterby's culture (a culture that $UCKS and is being ripped apart throughout the NFL circles) and most importantly a hire that would NOT push back against them and would ultimately be a puppet so that they can continue to pull the strings.

Where is Nick C. in all of this???

He signed off on this hire???

This is why this organization will never taste a title.

Can't even utter the words WOW because this is who and what they are.

Nook and TWS1986 like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Awesome you got the reference... I should of known you would be the one to get it.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

We know who Tim Kelly is: He is a stab to keep Deshaun Watson happy as the returning offensive coordinator. He coordinated the worst running attack in the NFL last year, and while I think he does deserve some credit for listening to Watson and opening up the offense away from what O’Brien put together last year, I don’t think a lot of the success that happened last season was about easy yardage. Obviously, because I’d rather have Watson on the franchise than not, I hope it works out! But if there’s no Watson, well, I have a lot of concerns about the ability of this team to generate easy offense. Kelly’s still young, but I think of last year more as a moderate step than as a stepping stone to greatness.

Then there’s (gulp)

Listen, Lovie Smith is a great man who had a great peak in the NFL, but that time passed hard after his tenure in Chicago. The 2014 Tampa Bay Bucs finished 19th in defensive DVOA, at 2.0% — 24th as a pass defense. The 2015 Bucs basically repeated that — 19th in defensive DVOA at 3.3%, 24th as a pass defense. Illinois’ defense was concerning. They finished 89th in defensive S&P+ in 2017, and mostly just continued to bend and break. They actually got worse in 2018, finishing 115th in defensive S&P+, and allowing 63 points to Penn State, Maryland, and Iowa.

I am willing to be wrong on this — maybe he learned a lot in his time off! — but old coaches generally don’t change. There’s certainly nothing we saw changing as his NFL and college defenses backslid into oblivion. Tampa 2 was the trademark defense of every team in the NFL for a little bit, but those days are done. And to try to ask this front four to give him the pressure to make it work? Whew. That’s got potential disaster written all over it to me. You probably need two free agents to even get the pass rush to passable if Watt leaves.

Roc Paint, Nook and UTSA2step like this.
  12. Xopher

Xopher Member

I don't think EB will get a head coaching job until he gets out of Andy's shadow. Andy calls the plays and sets the direction of the offense. He just tells EB what to implement, at least this seems to be the perception. EB needs to go to a team which has a defensive minded head coach and truly run the offense. Who really knows how EB's interviews go. He could be in there bringing up Andy's name 50 times when EB is asked how he runs the offense. I'm not sure, but it seems plausible.

13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let us pray?

Nook likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

The clip J.R posted titled "Culley speaking Easterbese" is so disturbing because of what we know with the Heaven's Gate crew up on Kirby. Though I'm being disrespectful to Heaven's Gate. Ain't no way Easterby would check out. Halfway cultist mofo.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Receivers coach

Tampa Bay: 94-95
    Pittsburgh: 96-98
    Philadelphia: 99-12
    Kansas City: 13-16
    Baltimore: 19-21

Isn't this like the most damming resume of all time? These teams had notoriously awful receiving corps. Particularly Philadelphia (until T. O. showed up) and especially Kansas City, where in 2014 they accomplished the once unthinkable by going an entire year with zero passing TDs to WRs.

How does this guy have a job in the NFL, let alone a HEAD COACH position? I'm in the wrong business.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

As to the first part.
    TK had the best passing game and worst rushing game in the league in terms of yardage and DC comes from the offense that had the highest rushing yardage and lowest passing yard totals.
    So either they have the best offense ever or....they bottom out. Right?!
    Lol

I’ll let it play out, still not a fan of this move.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

i don’t consider this believable at all

TWS1986, Nook and havoc1 like this.
  18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

This ****ing dumpster-fire franchise. Hiring a guy because of his positive attitude. Acting like a head coach’s sole job is being a positive motivator. Forget the fact that he has zero experience doing anything a head coach does during practices and more importantly games.

If I’m a snake like Easterby, of course I’m going to hire a 65 year old man who never had a chance at coaching because he will do as instructed as he’s just happy to have the opportunity of a lifetime and won’t push back.
    Again, **** this ****ing franchise. And **** Nick C.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It feels very much like they hired a yes man who is a "players coach" and nothing more.

If they don't go out and absolutely break the bank on assistants we are going to be the worst team in the NFL.

Two Sandwiches and Hank McDowell like this.
  20. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Nice guys finish last....... so we got that going for us.

Furious Jam likes this.