1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Packed and Loaded

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I already stated my opinion.
    There were those who would have gladly harmed members of congress. There were those who acted very foolishly without understanding the consequences. There were those who got caught up in the frenzy. And there were those who allowed it to happen despite knowing there was a very significant threat that eventually unraveled through the day. We have the best spy network in the world. Sending bicycle cops as reserves to protect congress is an absolute mockery to anyone with a moderate amount of intelligence. This was a goat rope from top to bottom. These problems stirred long before Trump. And it's not going to stop anytime soon.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Covid, lockdown, protests and political instability before Trump decided to try to overturn the election drove a bunch of new first time gun buyers. Once Biden won, as when Obama won, the fear of stricter gun control drove more gun purchase. It wasn’t the fear of Trump dictatorship that drove more sales after the election but the “stop the steal” movement. They were gearing up to invade the capital and start a civil war. Patriots and all.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Your gun is exponentially more likely to kill an innocent, or a kid, or a neighbor than it ever is to prevent a crime.

Good on you, though, glad you feel safe.

jiggyfly and deb4rockets like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

For ****s sake, how much ammo do you need?

deb4rockets and jiggyfly like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Some people just pray for safety.
    Why can’t I just pray and carry?

6. Buck Turgidson

You can pray and genuflect to the sungods all you want for all I care.

I do care that minimally/none trained people are carrying deadly weapons in public. That affects me and mine and society in general.

Handguns suck. Ban handguns, lower violent crime.

DVauthrin and deb4rockets like this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good grief. Paranoia will destroy ya. If people weren't allowed to pack and carry guns and ammo walking around then maybe we'd have far less people getting shot instead of fist fights. If you have one in your house for home invaders that's different. Unless of course you are one of the thousands who are so irresponsible that you leave it accessible to children.

These jerks walking around with guns and ammo strapped all over is ridiculous.

DVauthrin likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You stated your opinion but why do you downplay the events of January 6th by calling them shenanigans? Events that directly caused the deaths of 5 people and indirectly 2 more. An event where you had premeditated plans to disrupt a Constitutionally mandated action in order to delay and/or overturn the legally held election of Biden.

Shenanigans? What a crock.

Again a shenanigan is when a fraternity steals the other team's mascot before the big game.

Do you believe that Joe Biden legally and Constitutionally is the President of the USA?

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Respectfully, You don't know me or how much i respect the right of being able to carry a firearm. I spend hundreds of dollars a year training at the range and buying ammo for something that might never happen all knowing that IF it happens it will likely be one of the worst days in my life. It's the absolute last measure and I treat it as such.

You wouldn't even be able to tell that I was carrying. I don't put gun stickers on my car or wear stupid T-shirts. I've had my LTC for over 5 years and I have never shown my small firearm in public. This isn't about machismo. This isn't about me playing hero. This is about my peace of mind.

I was a victim of road rage when i was in my early 20's. The guy chased me down and rammed my car for 15 mins (felt like an hour). I was on the phone with police the entire time and had never been so scared in my life. The guy eventually took off and police showed up an hour later. I vowed that day that I would not put my safety in the hands of Police after that. It's not their fault, they aren't there to be your bodyguards.

10. Space Ghost

Now you are picking and choosing the context for me and then further insult me to imply I just might not accept Biden as POTUS.

Definition of shenanigan
    1: a devious trick used especially for an underhand purpose

A shenanigan is not always playful.

I stated it was obvious Biden was president after the elections ended in Nov. 3. I have never once suggested the election was rigged or stolen or whatever other word you want to peg me to to suit your narrative. I also stated Trump was not going to be able to overturn the election, despite all the chicken little fear running rampant. The SCOTUS is not some rampant unhinged right wing nut jobs who's secret plan was to hand Trump the Presidency. While I have my opinions about some Judges, they are all very capable people who truly have the country's best interest at heart. Im not some radical nut job who thinks anyone who disagrees with me is evil or wrong. Further I have stated I voted for Biden, I actually respect Biden and I have voiced by distain for Trumps behavior over the last year. So yes, Biden won the election decisively and legally and he is the President.

Im not going to apologize because I dont sing and dance to your narrative. Its time for the citizens of this country to kick the old people out of office and hand it off to a younger generation. We get it. You boomers tried. You did your best. But our country is falling further behind to countries who have handed over their leadership to the younger generations.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am truly curious as to why you called the Wisconsin event a riot and the Capitol event a shenanigan. You specifically used that word. At face value a riot is a much more strong word which implies violence. And you appear to have left off this part of the definition of shenanigan

high-spirited or mischievous activity —usually used in plural

Consciously calling the Capitol riot shenanigans diminishes what it actually was.

deb4rockets likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't saying you personally carry guns all over you. I was simply stating our ridiculous laws enable these nutjobs to do so. Why? It's 3rd world country barbaric stuff. As for pack and carry, well, there ya go. People can legally hide a gun and you don't even know they have it out and about. It leaves the door open for them to shoot you in the face out of road rage, or when you call them out in public if they piss you off for some reason.

13. Space Ghost

The US Capital event was a culmination of multiple events, which I break out between rioters, protesters and a blatant stand down of security forces. Among the rioters were insurrectionist, some who were willing to harm. To imply everyone attending this protest/riot were insurrectionist is a poor narrative and is dismissive of the larger picture. Trump is a symptom of the problem.

I am using the term as the primary definition I noted. What matters is the context I used it in, not the one you wish to perceive.

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Showing a breast on TV. Not ok.
    Showing somebody getting executed at close range with blood and guts flying. That's ok.

Said another way, which of the above would you rather show to a 4yo child?

Our culture of violence is out of balance.

DVauthrin likes this.
  15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

election was stolen right?

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

You are more likely (4.5x) to get hurt by carrying a gun. As the cliche goes, if all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I've never seen a statistic that gun owners are in fact safer. I've seen plenty of antidotes but no stats. I think advocates of gun ownership is more of a combo of "guns are cool" and the sense of security they provide (which statistically is false).

Carrying a gun increases risk of getting shot and killed | New Scientist

If you have any stats (not from the NRA) otherwise, I'd be interested in reading.

deb4rockets and jiggyfly like this.
  17. Space Ghost

Which one? 2000?

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So liberals were buying guns in fear of a Trump dictatorship?

Wut?

vlaurelio likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not what he is saying at all, he just does not think he has to be in fear of somebody taking his wallet and having to go to his knees.

he probably also thinks he would rather give his wallet up other than get into a gun fight.

I think the same, I have lived in terrible places and been around and with Bad Hombres and have never had to go to my knees.

I can't imagine thinking I am danger everytime I walk outside.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So what do you think we are testing by not packing?