1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Nov 3, 2020.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I know, right?

Atop proposing trades for whichever guards, and start proposing trades for Aaron Gordon!!

I'm just stirring - but you're right that we don't need guards. Forwards (especially a face up PF with range) is what we need.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Jaxson Hayes is a center, could be groomed under Wood, and he’s a legit 7’, with explosiveness. But yeah you’re right, getting a tall and talented PG like Ball who’s still young wouldn’t make any sense for old Gordon

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo is not Rockets PG.

That would be Wall.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

https://tradenba.com/trades/XQsryn0tb

6'4 Wall/6'3 EGo/6'4 Jones
    6'4 Dipo/6'5 Brown/6'4 Porter
    6'5 Tucker/6'5 Nwaba/6'6 Exum
    6'10 Wood/6'4 Tate/6'6 KJ
    6'11 Hayes/6'10 Boogie/6'9 Kurucs

5. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Wood needs to be a Center. He'll get torched defensively and would loose a bunch of his athletic and agility advantage against a lot of the PFs out there.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree.

Just trying to make the poster's suggestion work.

Hayes has potential to be switch everything defender and stretch big.

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  7. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

News going around that Cleveland could be looking to buy out Drummond and he would look to join Brooklyn for a playoff run.

Any chance we could get in on that, pick him up for a multi-year contract and outbid Brooklyn? Understand that they can only offer him 5.6m for the remainder fo this season.

If anything it improves our draft picks (in the hopes the Brooklyn big 3 blow up) as well as get us a huge C in the middle given our lack of depth due to injuries and potential injuries at C.

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

This would be heartbreaking but Tilman loves those giant TPE's that we never use and Stone is hoarding FRPs.

Scola Scoops likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Killing 2 birds with 1 stone, love it.

But why would Drummond pick us over Nets?

The only way to steal Drummond from Nets is via preemptive trade IMO.

Scola Scoops likes this.
  10. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Thanks man. Probably in terms of the length of contract that we could offer him? Just shooting out a random idea here (hence in this thread) hahaha.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I keep thinking about Lavine and Aaron Gordon on this team with Wood haha

Rockets get Lavine, Aaron Gordon, Mike Scott

Bulls get Oladipo, 2022 MIL FRP via Houston, 2023 protected WAS FRP via Houston

Magic get Exum, House, 2021 PHI FRP

6ers get Tucker, McLemore

I think Tucker and Bmac is worth a late 1st rounder and can really help a contender like Philly.

Orlando may want more for Gordon, but a late first, a guard (which they always seem to need) and a wing on a good contract ain't bad.

Bulls can move Dipo straight away to Miami if they want and get more picks.

I dunno.. I'm having too much fun with these trade ideas haha

D-rock likes this.
  12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I think you move Eric Gordon come Feb 3, Weds day of next week.

Take a look at the Magic, they have a movable contract in Aminu who is a defense stopper like Tucker younger and on a favorable 2 year contract. I think you also want to move Dipo with House. Feb 3 is when you can pair Dipo with other players.

Rockets IN : Micheal Porter Jr, Garry Harris, Mo Bamba, Aminu.
    Nuggets IN : Victor Olidpo , PJ Tucker, D House, and 1FRP
    Magic IN : Eric Gordon , Pick

Magic and Nuggets need vets to move the needle come playoff time.

13. ilias

ilias Member

Hayes makes a lot of sense for us. We need a big 5 that can roll and rim-protect. Doesn't necessarily need to start, but be able to play 25 mins, 10 of which next to Wood. Hayes has that potential and will not be able to fulfil it in NO. They have long-term commitment to Adams, plus their best lineup may be with Williamson at the 5. Out of all the young Cs with his profile, Hayes seems to be the most realistic target. He shouldn't cost a lot. Something like House + 1-2 SRPs would be enough.

D-rock likes this.
  14. ilias

ilias Member

Great post. Have done similar thinking on how to build up our team:

- Starting PF: I agree that finding a frontcourt partner for Wood is our key long-term decision. Given Wood's defensive shortcomings, length / athleticism should be priorities. You mentioned some great candidates, I'd add PJ Washington and Hachimura. Indeed, Aaron Gordon seems to be the most likely to be available, given Orlando's investment in Isaac, and Okeke showing promise. Exum, Tucker + 2 FRPs should do it.

- Back-up C: That's another key role to fill for the long-term given Boogie's play, age and contract. Jaxson Hayes would be my choice. He can be Capela-light.

- Prime scorer: It would be nice if Dipo could fill this role, but he hasn't shown it yet. Getting Beal would be the dream, I'd give up the Nets haul in a blink. Young guys like Barrett, Beasley are interesting. I'd be open to renewing Dipo at $20-23m / year

- SF / 5th starter: Ideally we would get someone decent with the MLE. Otto Porter would fit the 3&D prototype but he may go for more in the summer.

- All star playmaker: Summer of 2022 we should trade Wall's expiring contract alongside our remaining picks (plus any value we can derive from our young guys) for any disgruntled young star. Who knows who will want to be traded from his team by then or who will emerge as a star player. I'd keep an eye on guys like Fox, Sexton, Morant. I can see Fox wanting to leave Sac at some point.

- Backup PF: Vets like Saric, Bjelica, Gay can be short-term stop-gaps. Vanderbilt would be a good buy-low bet.

D-rock, 18pbr and Grizzlyshark like this.
  15. ilias

ilias Member

If the Beal rumours are true..

HOU in: Aaron Gordon, Beal
    ORL in: Eric Gordon, House, 2 FRPs from HOU (2021 FRP via POR, 2022 FRP via Milwaukee)
    WAS in: Oladipo, Exum, 5 FRPs from HOU (2021 FRP via DET, 2022 via BRK, 2023 via WAS, 2024 via BRK, 2026 via BRK)

That would still leave us with our 2022, 2023, 2025 and 2027 FRPs plus the BRK swaps to offload Wall's expiring in the 2022 offseason for a young star PG like Fox.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Dipo is going nowhere if he won't sign so gotta get him to Miami. They want him and he wants them as has been reported. Dipo to MIA, Precious to HOU, we need a 3rd team for salary+picks.

sydmill likes this.
  17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Just add Iggy and the trade works. If you send Miami Tucker as well, Iggy + Olynk + a young asset or two also works.

I'm not necessarily in favor of trading Dipo, but if we do, Miami just makes too much sense. There is mutual interest, the Heat really wouldn't be able to extend him without Bird rights, and they have several young assets. Precious would fill a huge hole. Duncan Robinson would fit like a glove. Herro's potential is huge. Etc.

sydmill and ipaman like this.
  18. sydmill

sydmill Member

https://tradenba.com/trades/zPLMCjW6X

Three team deal that scratches where everybody itches.

Hou out: Dipo, PJ, & '21 SRP
    Hou in: Robert Williams, KZ Okpala, Precious Achiuwa, Aaron Nesmith, BOS '21 FRP
    Why: Dipo and PJ dont fit in with the Rockets timeline. This trade sets up the Rockets frontline of the future with Achiuwa, Williams & Wood manning the 4 and 5. Okpala and Nesmith are added to Tate and Porter at the 2/3. Giving up the most talent in the deal also results in the Rockets turning their second round pick into a (late) first.

Mia out: Okpala, Achiuwa, & Olynyk
    Mia in: Dipo
    Why: Miami's window closes once Jimmy (31) and Dragic (34) slow down. While they prefer Beal to Dipo, getting Dipo allows them to keep Herro and Robinson in the fold. Dipo also makes letting Nunn walk a little less painful since he can play some pg. While they could get him with cap space this summer, Miami cant afford to lose a season where Butler and Dragic are still playing well. Also, the price makes it well worth it.

Bos out: Nesmith, Williams & '21 FRP
    Bos in: PJ, Olynyk and Hou '21 SRP
    Why: Boston in very strong at guard (Kemba and Smart) and on the wing (Brown and Tatum). PJ and Olynyk give them some beef to throw at Philly and another guy (PJ) to put on KD if they have to play Brooklyn. And both guys expire if they dont work out. They arent investign much in 2 players that could be very useful come playoff time.

Admittedly this presupposes the Rockets are ok tanking the second half of the season getting as many minutes as possible to the youngsters but a deal like this completes the Rockets transformation from one of the oldest teams to one of the younger teams in the NBA*.

* Keep in mind the Rockets would be adding 3 first round picks to this young core

ipaman likes this.
  19. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Basic framework not including picks.

HOU IN: Beal
    WAS IN: Obre, Olynyk
    MIA IN: Olidipo, PJ
    GSW IN: Iggy

It works financially but the question would be, “How many picks and to/from lwho?”

Wall/Gordon
    Beal/KPJ
    Tate/Brown
    House/Nwaba
    Wood/Cousins

CHAMPIONSHIP!

#2379 DM'sVP, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would love this but losing all those FRPs may drive Stone to suicide.