1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire David Culley as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 27, 2021.

?

Do you like the hire of David Culley?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2023.
  1. YES

10.9%
  2. NO

89.1%
  1. clos4life

clos4life Member

2. Nook

Nook Member

Good to see Easterby still has a say on major decisions.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Everything changes if Watson buys in

UTSA2step, gatsby and zeeshan2 like this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Of course they are

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

True, but Reid kept him around for that long and even made him assistant head coach so he must have saw something in him as well.

bigdaddy and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Texans gonna Texan. I didn't watch but 3 games after BOB was fired last season and I knew they were a train wreck. As long as McNair and Easterby are in this organization (and looks like Caserio as well the way he is going) there is no point in expecting anything else. I think I may be done with football for a while, I really didn't miss it last season and that's saying something with Watson being a superstar in this league.

BamBam and updawg like this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Everything hinges on this.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Most of it. I am still concerned about free agents wanting to join the Texans and take a pay cut. They desperately need free agents to join the Texans and take a pay cut.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Newlin

Newlin Member

If he can call time outs at the proper time and know when to throw a challenge flag, then he will already be better than Bill O’Brien.

The OC and DC will be doing more coaching than Culley. So, I’m hoping for the best.

Too bad the Texans need some good young talent but lack draft picks.

gatsby, UTSA2step and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I recognize that, but the majority of his years when he could have started his ascent were when the hiring of minorities was very limited. I do see the argument of he’s being brought in as a pawn for a perceived cultural change. I guess we’ll have to live with the choice and hope for a change in how players are treated and maybe the football IQ and professional mentality will take over. I think Caserio has been neglected in the conversation on this board and by the media. Maybe he has taken control and if he has hopefully that will stop the incompetence that McNair and his buddy have shown

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This isn't the brilliant point you think this is. Culley's hiring means the Texans are prioritizing other things than building a contender for the long haul.

Richie_Rich, the shark, Nook and 3 others like this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

NFL guys almost never take pay cuts. And only time they do so is when chasing a ring. But you bring up a good point. All this HC talk has temporarily taken the spotlight off how bad this roster actually is.

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

If they don't bring in a new offensive line coach, they need to fold the franchise.

14. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Passing game coordinator and WR coach from the worst passing team in the NFL?!

SPLASH!!!

the shark and CometsWin like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What?

Rocket River

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve never claimed brilliance, just making an observation. If you think other things will not help a team win football games then maybe we have found the secret to winning. Just don’t do other things

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Almost never unless chasing a ring. The Texans look even farther from a ring tonight.

Nook likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Hub Arkush being brutal on this hire....

“Everyone around the league likes Culley. He is an agreeable guy and a gentleman. We all will go to bat for him as a person. That doesn’t mean anyone in the league thinks he should be an NFL head coach outside of them (Texans).

He worked with Andy Reid a long time and never was promoted to offensive coordinator. It wasn’t play calling, Andy calls his own plays. Andy didn’t think he was capable of the other duties an OC does.

Nothing wrong with that, but you don’t take someone like that, at that age and have him be your head coach. He has never had even a smidgen of the responsibilities he now has. He isn’t prepared. Good organizations don’t set up their people to fail.

To be clear he isn’t a young genius coming up. He is in his 60’s. This just reeks of over thinking down there in Texas.

They promoted a chaplain to run their organization with no football experience so this hire shouldn’t shock me.

It will be good to see Lovie (Smith) try to turn that defense around. There isn’t any talent there for him to work with. A few guys but overall a bad group.

Happy a good guy gets a shot but won’t be easy especially if Watson leaves like people in the league believe. So then you rebuild with a rookie coach in his 60’s.

Well respected GM brought in now, a lot of teams wanted him but does he really make the calls? Unique set of issues in Houston.”

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me know when the Texans’ culture is one about winning.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Are you sure?

Dismissing Culley that quickly.

The Texans didn't hire Culley for Xs and Os, he was hired for culture. Everyone jokes about being a Christian and such, However that is not the culture in the locker room they are wanting. Trust and respect between the coaches and players is what matters. Easterby is not going to be in that locker room or on the field every day. Tim Kelly is the Offense, Love Smith will be the defense. Culley is the CEO of the locker room and on the field.
    By all accounts, Culley is a mature adult with a calm demeanor vs what O'Brien brought. Something the Texans need.

I would have preferred Eric Bieniemy. Something is preventing him from being a head coach. Getting passed up this many times...there is something going on.

Reminds me of the Dusty Baker hire (yes, Dusty is MUCH MORE Accomplished). However, every one said the game has passed him by.....he can't adjust...destroys his pitchers. Baker was EXACTLY what the Astros needed.

I think same with Silas (yes, Silas was a hot assistant...but he has an old school coach for a Dad and was passed up on for a number jobs before getting the Rockets). Different culture needed from MDA and Morey.

I guess...what matter is Culley and Deshaun. We will see...

Don't dismiss the fact how Watson looks by not giving Culley a chance (especially because they know each other).