1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo..............Not seeing it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jiggyfly, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

dipo suxs... but he got them pipes for singing doe

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

To be fair, Wall also struggled a bit albeit not as consistently as Dipo did.

Wiz had the right defense to stymy 2 players just returning from leg injuries and a 5 that could not finish even if 3 feet from the rim.

Only EGo showed the ability consistently beat his defender as well as find seams vs. the zone.

3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This would fix so much. Lebron would have never left Cleveland if he was getting $75MM a year and there would be no superteams

Easy, rockbox and Rocket River like this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

Stone mentioned publicly they're interested in Dipo (for an extension). No price tag mentioned, does it worry folks here that Rockets might overpay? This is opposite of what fans think is the point of that expiring deal; to shed team salary.

Stone fluff talk or real interest signaling to Dipo (and his agent).

When Dipo was asked by reporter what he thought of Stone's comment, he answered wisely that he doesn't know and will evaluate at end of season.

#144 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    saleem and D-rock like this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He is somewhere between average and good.

Can make a decent 6th man or a scorer off the bench.

Not someone who is going to be a core piece to build a team around but rather a piece you add later on the team to plug holes.

Him being a key piece to building a team = mediocrity.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

If anything Dipo wants the full max. I see Rockets offering a Eric Gordon type deal. Stone probably will bring it up before the deadline if he doesn't want that, we'll send him where they are willing to trade for him and pay him.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No max contract
    No fully guaranteed contract
    Flat hard salary cap

Those would solve a lot of ills that plague the current scene. But it will never be approved by the players association.

8. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Give time. He is still recovering from a bad injury. When in good shape, he is a streaky offensive player but also plays decent defense. He was part of an all-defensive team once if I am correct. Also, any contract would only happen during the off-season I think. Dipo might want to play for Miami but who knows, things can always change. If he continues to struggle then I do not see any other team offering him max. He has a lot to prove to lock a big contract so that is a plus for us in the short-term while he is with the Rockets.

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Lets just say he has become useless for my fantasy team since being paired with John Wall.

He needs to be on the court when Wall isn't. He isn't being utilised correctly if he is just there standing around.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Try to put together best trade package you can for Porter oR Herro. Your talking about possible next superstar, not some 6th man guy who can be next potential eric gordon on max contract that hinders the rockets ability to get the playoffs year after year where the rockets become doomed with no flexibility.

"

11. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Belive me he has no comment here, im pretty sure he gonna test free agency. He just on assignment. I would trade him faster than lighting if i was stone, you get them assets now come feb 3. Tucker, House, Ben, you can attach players like this and get better player.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This can only work if he has some big games. Is the final deadline in February or March for this season?

13. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I think they have a deadline when they release 2nd schedule 2nd week of March? while there doing the make up games etc.., and id assume people might make trades looking at this schedule, cause you know theyll be teams saying "**** we need some help if we gotta play them 3-5 more times lol"

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks. I hope you'll be right.

15. ilias

ilias Member

Sending him to Denver for Harris and 1-2 FRPs makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Dipo is a lot better than Harris, especially on defense where Denver has struggled. He may be enough to push Denver to the 3rd seed and give them a chance for the Western finals.

Harris contract expires in 2022, so it aligns well with when we should be tanking, and it gives us back cap space for 2023. We should be gathering any draft picks we can. I’d be happy with a 1 FRP + 2 SRP.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Coming off a difficult quad injury
    Finding housing in Houston (moving to a new city during Covid era)
    Learning about new teammates
    Learning about new offense (timing and communication with new teammates)
    Learning about new defense (timing and communication with new teammates)
    Playing tug-a-war with the ball vs Wall/EGo/Mason Jones as they all have the same role.

II will give him until Feb trading deadline to cast judgement.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We actually agree on this.

I actually like when we disagree you bring rationality to a discussion and info that I might not have known.

I am not one who thinks because he is not an all star that means he is a scrub, he does have value, my thing is I don't see him as a centerpiece and with his current play a 2nd babanna on a contending team.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

None of that has any bearing on being able to consistently take his man off the dribble or being aggressive.

Dude literally played last year and in the bubble as well as this year so it's not 4 games.

Why will 10 games suddenly make me think differently?

What does look harder even mean?

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My thoughts exactly I have no idea why people are taking this personally, It was just an eye opener looking at Gordon this year going to the basket and Oladipo it's a stark contrast.

20. csc177

csc177 Member

He's played FOUR games for us. That's the only assessment that matters for a Rockets fan...not what he did last year/in the bubble after coming back from the injury.

You said you don't "see it" in your post...I'm telling you to look harder. Vic is the most talented offensive player on this squad right now. He's playing with a bunch of strangers, with limited practice time and so this notion of him not being aggressive and taking folks off the dribble means nothing...

so I repeat, give it time.