1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How about all of the other wins?

I don't understand what's your beef?

Nobody said they were better than Alabama.

2. Major

Major Member

I think using a close bowl game win against UNC minus all of its best players to suggest that A&M would have been more competitive than Notre Dame against Alabama is insanity, especially when we actually got to see that game and know the results were worse.

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ah, so you feel that the ND win over Clemson should be discarded, and the Aggies should have been included in the CFP?

Why are you comparing A&M to Alabama, anyway. Is anyone trying to make the case that A&M is better than Alabama? No. Meaning...nothing you have here is actually relevant to an argument anyone is making.

"A&M did much worse than ND did" They both took a beat down. The difference being that A&M improved significantly after that game, and rattled off 7 wins. ND...just lost.

4. Major

Major Member

No - Notre Dame went undefeated in their regular season conference. They only had a loss because played in a conference title game that A&M didn't have to play. They also, amusingly, beat that same UNC team by the same margin - when UNC had all their best players. There's nothing in the evidence to suggest A&M was better than Notre Dame.

Uhh, because the post I originally responded to was suggesting that A&M would have had a reasonable showing against Alabama. They'd have been blown out the same as Notre Dame and Ohio State were.

The only difference was that A&M played Alabama at the beginning of the season while Notre Dame played Clemson at the end of their season. If A&M played Alabama in the last game of their season, they'd have gotten obliterated then too. That was the point of the score comparisons I posted - A&M didn't magically improve. They had a legit good win against Florida early in the season, and then mostly just played a whole bunch of bad to mediocre teams the rest of the way. Their best win down the stretch was a 6-5 Auburn team by 11 - a team that Alabama smoked by by 30 the week before. And that was a game A&M was losing to start the 4th. Alabama was up 29 to start the 4th vs the same opponent 7 days prior.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree but A&M had gotten better as well.

You just seemed to have taken that way to hard, I mean it's a fun what if.

BamBam likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think A&M made it out better by not being in the CFP they got to go out on a high note while ND got embarrassed............again.

Recruiting will reflect this.

raining threes likes this.
  7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

The argument was that A&M's win over a depleted NC team should be disregarded. The same would then apply to ND's win over Clemson, right? A&M's schedule then tougher than ND's.

That said, I indicated that an argument could be made for ND being slotted in ahead of A&M in the CFP, so what exactly are you arguing against?

Maybe...maybe even probably. But did ND or Ohio State have the best defense in the SEC? No. So, we don't know how they would have done. We do know that A&M is a lot better than when they played Alabama earlier. But, so is Alabama. I suspect a closer game than you're thinking would have been the outcome.

A&M did legit improve. If you don't know that, you weren't watching any of their games, and you can be excluded from this conversation....or at least admit that you're talking without any knowledge, and what you say should be treated as such.

Further, how rankings have ALWAYS worked in the past...recent games matter more. So, a big loss early in the season not nearly as significant as a big loss later. Why did that suddenly change...just because A&M was in the equation this time? Hard to argue that's not the case. Especially because it happened TWICE, in 1 week. First, being ranked behind ND after its big loss in the CFP, then again in the final ranking. What's the common element there? A&M being involved.

TheresTheDagger and BamBam like this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm fine with tOSU and ND in the playoffs. At peace with it. But it's frustrating tOSU only played like 1, maybe 2 games. That was also unfair to the teams that had to play them in the playoffs (wear & tear). It's also stupid to hear people complain about a TAMU/BAMA rematch when you could have had a Clemson/ND 3-match - if you really thought those teams were so good.

On paper. Yep. Fine with tOSU. But why do we even play the games then?

Not sure why TAMU's schedule doesn't get more respect. There are not many teams out there playing all-world, fantasy-land, fairy-tale schedules in the time of Covid. TAMU's SoS is fine. Again tOSU played 2 games, why are we acting like TAMU playing Alabama, Florida, Auburn and rest of the SEC West is so bad? Compared to WHAT exactly? Lulz.

9. ths balla

ths balla Member

A&M covered vs UNC fwiw

10. Buck Turgidson

You got your ass kicked by Alabama. You squeaked by Florida early, iirc. What else is on that "SEC Schedule"? Auburn? The SEC was dogsh!t last season, plus Georgia. It killed yall that LSU sucked, because that win meant nothing. (Florida lost 3 games in a row to end their season, btw, including a total curbstomping by OU)

This whole year of CF playoffs was a joke, so why whine about it?

...and, outside of Alabama, TAMU didn't play 2 better teams than Northwestern and Indiana (with their QB), and Ohio St beat them both.

#4890 Buck Turgidson, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe tOSU will play 0 games next year and just lock-in their spot during your beloved preseason polls. Why play the games. Lulzt

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I see this has become a thing about where you went to school.

It's highly debatable about Northwestern and Indiana being better than what A&M beat and the SEC was not total dogshit.

I forget how A&M makes people feel some kind of way.:D

#4892 jiggyfly, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Uprising, TheresTheDagger and Ziggy like this.
  13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yep. They aren't impressive looking to watch, but won all those games, against SEC teams, during their win streak, by double digits. They're an old fashioned, grind it out team. They wore people down, and dominated at the end of games.

Which is also why I think a match against Alabama would have been closer than people think. To their credit, maybe similar to the ND game with them...but I think A&M had a better offense, and probably a slightly better defense, too.

If you actually just looked at A&M's and ND's schedule, on paper....can see how ND got the nod. BUT that reverses the thinking that has gone on every other year...that being that recent games count more. ND's last game...blown out. In any other year, that would have dropped them several slots.

The rankings AFTER the playoffs....a lot worse. No reason at all that a two loss Clemson team, which got obliterated in its final game, should be ahead of a 1 loss A&M team. Pure bias. and you can omit the 'ia' from that.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

2021:
    Kent State
    @ Colorado (Denver)
    New Mexico
    Arkansas
    Mississippi State
    Alabama
    @ Missouri
    South Carolina
    BYE
    Auburn
    @ Ole Miss
    Prairie View
    @ LSU

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That is quite possibly true. I thought this could be better before the polls came out.

BUT, that was with the thinking that A&M, by NOT being in the CFP, would likely get ranked third, if they took care of business (which they did).

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't really think 3rd or 4th makes that much difference and I really don't think they are better than Clemson or the others.

But that's debatable.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

3rd. 4th. 5th. 6th. 17th. Nobody will remember in 2 weeks.

18. Buck Turgidson

Lol at Prairie View, good ol' SEC jackf**k weekend.

I guess Liberty got good enough to place out of it?

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dang Buck this **** is real for you.:D

Are you a UT guy?

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Before Covid came, TAMU played the #1, #2, #3, #4 team in national. Their schedule is fine, BOOMER. Lulz.