1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The trump era, the trump legacy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 19, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

98% of GOP are grifters. 70% of the DNC are grifters.

Arbitrary ballparks but that's my perception at least.

We are a nation where it's completely legal for a corporation to donate unlimited amounts of money to political campaigns. Ya we are going to have a lot of grifters.

The two party system also creates a system where the only people who have viable shots for high office are run through these two filters, the DNC and RNC. And those filters are based in nepotism and networking with people scratching each others backs for self gain.

#61 fchowd0311, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    deb4rockets likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, well, he took it to a whole new level by profiting at his properties the entire 4 years, and putting his daughter and hubby into positions of power. As for all the other traits they stand by really says a lot.

3. fchowd0311

No doubt. Trump is the apex of political corruption in a nation that was already corrupt.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Perhaps his biggest legacy, destroying the republican party?

No Worries and deb4rockets like this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Trump - the gift to the Democrats that keeps on giving...

7. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I see 4 different Parties coming and I see them coming real fast...

Once the GOP splits with Trump and his group, I expect the same with the Bernie and AOC group on the Dem side...

T_Man

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

dang dude, that sucks.......I don't get it either, how my parents still support this idiot is beyond my comprehension

FranchiseBlade, Blatz and deb4rockets like this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Did Trump turn her this much against blue states to make her put party over family?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

I can understand her concern. When you enter a blue state, you are legally required to hand over your firearms and have a sex change.

FranchiseBlade, R0ckets03 and B-Bob like this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The Patriot Party is the same as the TEA party. These guys aren't leaving the GOP. Conservatives are more loyal. They don't have anyone like the Bernie supporters that voted for Trump just to stick it to the Democratic party establishment.

12. fchowd0311

That isn't really a thing. Many Clinton primary voters voted for McCain. Have a feeling the media wouldn't blame Clinton if Obama lost to McCain.

I agree that the democrat base isn't as sycophantic to one leader as the GOP base.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/105691/mccain-vs-obama-28-clinton-backers-mccain.aspx

Really don't want to be a conspiracy theorist but I entered "how many clinton primary voters voted for mccain" as a search query on google, I get this as my first results:

[​IMG]

I had to scroll to the bottom for the first link that addressed my question in the slightest. I asked a question about Clinton primary voters voted for McCain and Google's top results are about Bernie taking votes from Clinton. Odd.

#72 fchowd0311, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

It is crazy and I don't get the cult following.

In my case, my dad and I haven't seen eye to eye on politics since the 80s. He's a democrat and I've been a republican (though going independent the past decade or so). We've always been fine around each other knowing that we're not going to agree on that subject - except for the past 4 years. It's the first time we both agreed and it's been a strange feeling...

I don't get how "normal" people (I have many friends and in-laws that drank the kool-aide) find Trump to be so all-in cult worthy...I just don't get it...

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

She started going crazy when Obama became president, but no - prior to trump she never refused to travel to blue states or would she have ever put politics over family.

If someone identifies as a Democrat she hates them now. Even if they’ve been friends for 60 years.

What sucks is she’s dragged my father onto the crazy train with her.

I blame the internet. It turned boomers crazy. **** you Al Gore.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

That's not a conspiracy. That's just Google SEO at work.

But this whole discussion can be quite misleading. In 2008, there were TONS of Democratic primary voters that didn't vote for Democrats. States like Kentucky, West Virginia, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, etc.. always had higher Democratic primary turnout because down ballot officials were still overwhelmingly voted in as Democrats. So the Democratic primary was always more relevant because that was the primary means of electing county commissions, sheriffs, state legislators, etc.. Back in 2008, most elected officials down ballot in those places were still Democrats. So as a result you had tons of voters who voted Republican exclusively at the presidential level voting in Democratic primaries so they could pick their eventual sheriff or mayor (because down ballot, Republicans barely fielded candidates).

And when given a choice between Obama and Clinton, they picked Clinton. But that was a reflection of a completely different primary electorate from 2016. By 2016, the party registration advantages for Democrats had significantly dimished. Coal country gave up on Democrats in 2016 so you saw huge growth in the Republican primaries. Democrats had also been wiped out in the Deep South in 2010 and 2014 so those primary advantages were gone too.

The Bernie thing was a smaller reflection of that same effect. Primary electorates are not reflections of general election electorates. Bernie ran up the score in areas that were trending Conservative but had strong Democratic strength down ballot. Hillary had previously benefited from this same thing in 2008 (but on a much larger scale). There has always been that sort of oppositional voting streak in the Democratic primary because of the strong Democratic Party loyalty down the ballot.

The reporting on this phenomenon has been awful to say the least because journalists don't understand primary electorates.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

Do you engage in debates expressing your views with them? How does that look if it happens?

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Haven’t in 3 years. It’s a waste of time.

Blatz likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Ugh, that sucks.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sorry for your loss, being flippant and serious at the same time.

I was talking to a buddy today that has an aunt who is in a wheelchair. She hurt her leg 10 years ago, didn’t take care of it and now can’t walk. Guess who’s fault it is? Obama, of course, that leg breaking scoundrel.

Misery loves company. And it finds it on Facebook.

So what’s she going to do when Texas flips to Blue in the next 20 years?