1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Thanks. My optimism has caused me to be wrong plenty of times concerning local sports franchises, and considering the Texans are being run by the worst owner in professional sports, it could definitely end up unfounded this time, too. I hope not because diehard Houston football fans deserve better than the Texans. The Oilers weren’t perfect by any means, but they were still a big step up from the current **** show on Kirby.

I just know this: If Frazier was the frontrunner before his second interview, and he didn’t shoot himself in the foot yesterday, news should have started to leak out last night that the Texans were hiring him. Also, there would be no reason to interview David Culley for the same position today.

If Culley was the frontrunner after his first-round interview, why wouldn’t the Texans have requested the second interview last week since Culley had no more games to coach?

It’s also very interesting that both Culley and Frazier have coached with Bieniemy at the NFL level.

havoc1 likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Another possibility.......... Bieniemy reportedly was putting together a staff as part of the process. It could very well be that David Culley - who was hired at the same time & worked four seasons with Bieniemy - is part of that staff and the Texans are talking to him in lieu of Bieniemy out of respect for his prep work for the Super Bowl.

I don't know the logistics - I assume Bieniemy would coach the Super Bowl even if the Texans hired him today (if they even can?). But with literally no urgent need, maybe the Texans are being respectful and not causing distraction because they can wait as long as they want.

When did Frazier work with Bieniemy? Frazier worked with Culley in Buffalo - but I don't believe he's crossed paths with Bieniemy?

Rudyc281 and DVauthrin like this.
  3. DVauthrin

Agreed, and it very well could be the case. However, I haven’t ever heard of a team asking the league for permission to interview a candidate still in the playoffs via Zoom, but that could just be because the rule was only enacted for this season. That’s a big request to make to the league office if you are only doing it to temporarily placate your franchise quarterback.

#2503 DVauthrin, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Everyone is hoping it’s Bieniemy so I think they’re reading too much into things, and timing, why no announcement?! Why no announcement?! All these guys could be hired already! Must be Bieniemy!

Why did they not put in a 2nd [Zoom] request for Bieniemy? (If as McClain says and below, they could have on Monday?)

[​IMG]

December 21: Jim Caldwell first interview
    December 23: Marvin Lewis first interview
    January 5: Joe Brady first interview
    January 5: Leaked Texans are hiring Nick Caserio
    January 7: Texans officially hire Nick Caserio
    January 18: Matt Eberflus first interview
    January 18: Leslie Frazier first interview
    January 18: David Culley first interview
    January 18: Eric Bieniemy first interview
    January 22: Jim Caldwell second interview
    January 22: Josh McCown first interview
    January 26: Leslie Frazier second interview
    January 27: David Culley second interview

JoeBarelyCares and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. DVauthrin

In Minnesota. Bieniemy was the Vikings’ running backs coach during Adrian Peterson’s first four seasons of his career when Frazier was the team’s defensive coordinator and, later, interim head coach.

Rudyc281 and Hey Now! like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

They know each other from Minnesota I believe. I think Frazier was the DC there

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Because general manager Nick Caserio has interviewed only two candidates two times, it seems safe to say the Texans are going to choose between Leslie Frazier and David Culley to become their new head coach – a decision that could come before the weekend.

Frazier, Buffalo’s assistant head coach/defensive coordinator who came to Houston for an in-person interview on Tuesday, appears to be the favorite to replace Bill O’Brien as the fourth coach in franchise history, according to people familiar with the process.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Eberflus, Josh McCown, Bienemy (league giving early permission), Caldwell (second interview) were all held under wraps until after they actually happened.

They are actually doing a good job keeping some things under wraps.

I still think the hire is Frazier but I'm hoping to be wrong and it's EB

DVauthrin, Rudyc281 and J.R. like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

#2509 J.R., Jan 27, 2021
    Nook, conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

in response to a tweet saying McClain thinks culley will get hired at the end of the week

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Cal's desperate search for a new father figure has torpedoed the one thing his actual father left him. Go figure. ****ing buffoon.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. DVauthrin

So, let’s get this straight: Leslie Frazier is the guy, but, yet, news hasn’t broken that the Texans are in negotiations to hire him. His second interview took place 24 hours ago.

Also, the Texans blocked other teams from interviewing Tim Kelly for open positions, yet, David Culley is going to get the job to be Frazier’s offensive coordinator? Or, Culley is going to apparently leave his Associate Head Coach position with the Ravens for the same job title with a worse organization in Houston?

What about any of that makes sense?

#2514 DVauthrin, Jan 27, 2021
    JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Guess it never occurred to Pancakes that maybe they’re not interested in doing another virtual meeting with EB since they just did one the week before.

JoeBarelyCares and DVauthrin like this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The fact that this is the Houston Texans.

Nook, Major, steddinotayto and 3 others like this.
  17. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

If we can just make it through the weekend without making a hire then I will feel optimistic about getting EB. I hate McClain with a passion. Everything he says is either defending Cal McNair or making the players and fans sound like idiots. He looks like an obese walrus. Can’t stand that guy

Fiah, mario_v and conquistador#11 like this.
  18. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

The only thing that has become abundantly clear throughout this entire process is that pancakes is an idiot. We have already known this for years but it seems like he just gets dumber every year. It's like the duck fat coursing through his veins finally made its way all the way up to his watermelon shaped head.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Only cool thing Full Stack has ever done was get a role in a Harmony Korine movie somehow.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member