1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Packed and Loaded

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Jan 27, 2021.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Totally agree with this. If you are absent minded about where you keep loaded weapons you don't deserve the privilege of owning one.

deb4rockets, vlaurelio and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Unfortunately the argument against that is in the US, it isn't a privilege. It's a right.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Bellaire Shooting Club is closed. It was noob friendly and clean. No 60 year old crusty pawn shop types gatekeeping.

People without ammo have no one to blame except themselves.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

Not true. If it were every American would be allowed to own a gun.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm we take rights away from people who commit crimes. Being imprisoned takes away your most basic fundamental rights to autonomy. So we do have a legal threshold of stripping rights if someone does something wrong.

As adjudicated by the supreme court we read the second amendment as a right of the citizen to own a firearm. That is the set precedent.

I'm not making a claim agreeing or disagreeing with it.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

I'm not arguing against restricting criminals from owning guns.

My quarrel is with the NFA stamps. That's a crock of ****. It restricts Americans of their "right". Utter hypocrisy from our own government that started with Reagan.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759797/
    Investigating the Link Between Gun Possession and Gun Assault
    Objectives. We investigated the possible relationship between being shot in an assault and possession of a gun at the time.

Methods. We enrolled 677 case participants that had been shot in an assault and 684 population-based control participants within Philadelphia, PA, from 2003 to 2006. We adjusted odds ratios for confounding variables.

Results. After adjustment, individuals in possession of a gun were 4.46 (P < .05) times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession. Among gun assaults where the victim had at least some chance to resist, this adjusted odds ratio increased to 5.45 (P < .05).

Conclusions. On average, guns did not protect those who possessed them from being shot in an assault. Although successful defensive gun uses occur each year, the probability of success may be low for civilian gun users in urban areas. Such users should reconsider their possession of guns or, at least, understand that regular possession necessitates careful safety countermeasures.

No Worries and deb4rockets like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

so the conclusion is “nobody move, nobody gets hurt”

Im all for letting some dude take my wallet, car or watch and letting him go. Your gun is your last stand. I’m not going down on my knees.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

U mean the Rethuglican fear mongering that they needed to arm themselves and fight because their livelihoods are allegedly being taken away and the election is getting stolen?

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

You really carry a gun because you're concerned someone in this world is going to decide, "Hey, I want to execute Reeko?" - the odds of that happening are outrageous. You're much more likely to hurt yourself others accidentally by possessing a firearm.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The thread title is a play on words -- unless you're like me and keep your guns packed with bullets!

12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Liberal fear mongering? Have you been in a coma since January 6th? Is that why you're not aware that a right wing mob, incited by Trump, was about 1 minute and less than 100 feet from coming into direct contact with Pence? You know, the guy they were screaming about hanging. Get the **** out of here with that bullshit.

How the rioters who stormed the Capitol came dangerously close to Pence

Vice President Pence heads through the Capitol Rotunda into the House chamber for the electoral college count on Jan. 6. (Amanda Voisard for The Washington Post)
    By
    Ashley Parker,
    Carol D. Leonnig,
    Paul Kane and
    Emma Brown
    Jan. 15, 2021 at 6:56 a.m. PST

The violent mob that stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 came perilously close to Vice President Pence, who was not evacuated from the Senate chamber for about 14 minutes after the Capitol Police reported an initial attempted breach of the complex — enough time for the marauders to rush inside the building and approach his location, according to law enforcement officials and video footage from that day.

Secret Service officers eventually spirited Pence to a room off the Senate floor with his wife and daughter after rioters began to pour into the Capitol, many loudly denouncing the vice president as a traitor as they marched through the first floor below the Senate chamber.

About one minute after Pence was hustled out of the chamber, a group charged up the stairs to a second-floor landing, chasing a Capitol Police officer who drew them away from the Senate.

Pence and his family had just ducked into a hideaway less than 100 feet from that landing, according to three people familiar with his whereabouts, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation. If the pro-Trump mob had arrived seconds earlier, the attackers would have been in eyesight of the vice president as he was rushed across a reception hall into the office.

The proximity of the Jan. 6 mob to the vice president and the delay in evacuating him from the chamber — which have not been previously reported — raise questions about why the Secret Service did not move him earlier and underscore the jeopardy that top government leaders faced during the siege.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...62e434-567c-11eb-a08b-f1381ef3d207_story.html

DVauthrin, deb4rockets and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

the odds of getting struck by lightning are outrageous but I sure as **** don’t stand out side trying to test it.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe the fact that states allow people to pack and carry makes even more people think they need a gun to protect themselves. I just don't believe for a minute loose gun laws prevent less crime. If that was the case our murder rate would be lower per capita than European countries.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It really doesn't matter if its the Wisconsin State Capital riot or the Jan 6 shenanigan's. If laws were broken, people should be punished. Yes, there were some very violent people, as such any riot. Ones who would have harmed certain politicians. There is a lot of stupid people in this world and we are doing a better job at educating them. But there is still tons of them. We all act stupid sometimes. But to pretend the lack of security was just a bad call is absolutely ridiculous. There has been some shady **** going down and Im not ready to just point at Trump and call it done. The events over the last year have surfaced a lot of discontent in our country. And before you jump on your party's narrative and blaming the redneck republicans, it goes far beyond that. BLM isnt done.
    Take a moment to see what is going on in the stock market thread. Retail investors ... IE: Just ordinary folks, are beating the big banks at their shady games, all legally. This isn't greed. This is retribution. There are a lot of people sacrificing monetary gains just to try and bankrupt big banks. I just hope this is a wakeup call and not the beginning.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL

No Worries likes this.
  17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

hmmm.....I have ammo. And reloading equipment/supplies........but the current ammo availability and price gouging is crazy. I get a little uneasy when I see the empty shelves for months on end.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep... that statement defines a true Trump supporter...

"Wisconsin Capitol RIOT" vs. "January 6th SHENANIGANS"

TP'ing a house is a shenanigan.

vlaurelio likes this.
  19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Except you actually believe the problem stops at Trump and refuse to acknowledge Trump is the symptom.
    I clearly stated Trumpism is a big problem but all you can mutter is 'defines a true Trumper'. You boomers are clueless.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why did you describe January 6th as "shenanigans"? Trolling or do you truly believe that?