1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

At least there is the "unknown" with Culley I guess. Still, what staff would he fill out?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. justtxyank

Biggest issue I have with Culley is that he is 65. Like what's the best case scenario? He's a really good coach and the Texans are good in 2-3 years and he's retiring?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. justtxyank

Unless plan is to hire Culley with McCown as a QB coach and coach in waiting scenario?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

My first choice is Bieniemy - but David Culley is *very* interesting (and I'd rank him ahead of Frazier)....

He has coached under Andy Reid for 17 years, through '16 where he oversaw Kelce and Hill as WR coach. The Texans are likely to take a big PR hit if they don't hire Bieniemy... this could squash some of that as Reid would undoubtedly support/endorse the hire.

Here's something else... If they hire Bieniemy, you know Deshaun Watson is going to get a text from Mahomes. If they hire Culley, he could get a text from Mahomes *and* Lamar Jackson.........

That might be an undercover brilliant move from Caserio.

Rudyc281 and Hank McDowell like this.
  5. justtxyank

Landry is disputing that tweet, saying McClain did NOT say that he thinks Culley will be the HC. Said at the very least he thinks he could be on Frazier's staff.

Tweeter misheard.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He would be the... I believe 6th NFL head coach 60+? And not the oldest. I mean.... I'd obviously prefer younger - but hopefully his staff would be young and progressive and innovative and....

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. justtxyank

He would be the 4th oldest behind Carroll, Belichick and Arians. It's not his age now that concerns me it's that you wouldn't have him for long if he worked out.

Like I said, I would imagine if they go that route they will try to have McCown on the staff thinking he would be the coach in waiting.

Rudyc281 and Hey Now! like this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Man I’d gladly take a few good years at this point. But when you look at Carroll, Arians, and Belichick who are all a few years older, they look like have a few years left in the tank.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I personally think the Texans have an under the table agreement with Bieniemy and are waiting to announce it until after the Super Bowl at his request. If the Texans were hot for Culley, they would have interviewed him again last week and wrapped up a deal already. If Frazier was the guy, why wasn’t the interview with Culley today called off? Two interviews is enough to figure out someone is your guy.

Immediately after hiring Caserio, the Texans went out of their way to interview Eric Bieniemy via Zoom as Bieniemy was preparing for the AFC Championship Game against the Bills. If he wasn't a serious candidate for the job, the Texans wouldn’t have gone to those lengths to interview him.

Then, you have the Chiefs radio color analyst saying he is hearing Bieniemy got the job on a Kansas City radio station last week, along with the “coincidence” that the other two finalists (Culley and Frazier) have coached with him before.

#2489 DVauthrin, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Rudyc281, Chilly_Pete and treyk3 like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

**** it, hire the McCown! ;):D

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 and El_Conquistador like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don't think this is farfetched.

If Frazier isn't announced tonight, I think this is the most likely scenario.

It's just hard to trust this organization right now.

Rudyc281 and DVauthrin like this.
  13. havoc1

havoc1 Member

I love your optimism and since what you are saying is what I want to happen I choose to fully buy in to your theory!:)

Rudyc281, DVauthrin and treyk3 like this.
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think he's African American. I must say, the visual ambiguity offers a little something for everyone! Everyone's happy!

15. justtxyank

Texans are going to wait until after the SuperBowl and then hire...Leslie Frazier.

Nook, Rudyc281 and treyk3 like this.
  16. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Ha ha that would be the absolute worst, although I would appreciate the troll game from the Texans.

Rudyc281, justtxyank and treyk3 like this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

But I was told the media was prepping for Leslie Frazier and that it was a done deal.

FFS don't hire him California McNair.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I have known and done business with very religious people, and people that are cut from the same cloth as the McNair's.

They somewhat live in a bubble they have created for themselves, by surrounding themselves with other people that have similar values, similar political opinions and that have a similar faith. It usually has little to do with race. These same people usually will welcome black people, Hispanic people and any other person that is modest in the ways they are, have similar values and a similar political and religious opinion.

So no, I don't see the McNair's hiring someone that is Muslim, or atheist or even a main stream Catholic to be in a position of authority. It is clear that McNair has a desire to have an organization that reflects his personal preference for people like himself. Some candidates really do not meet that criteria and those candidates will not get the job.

So I am sure that the McNair's have pre conceived notions and biases against black people or other people on some level. However, the larger issue isn't race as much as it is religion and values. Does anyone really believe that McNair wouldn't hire Tony Dungy or Caldwell under the right circumstances? Both are black, but both are very religious, modest and live a life similar to what McNair views as "proper".

The problem is that the culture of the Texans is definitely NOT inclusive and that can give you a severe disadvantage. Would Hopkins have been dealt had he been more like Rick Smith and had a wife and three kids and dressed modest and went to prayer meetings with McNair? No, I don't think so.

What was the first think that Cal said to the media when his father passed? "Father valued faith and family above all else."

Also before someone says I am picking on religious Christians.......... I have seen the same thing with Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, Judaism, Islamists, even atheists....... essentially any group that prioritizes religion above all else.

Red.Glare and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Never really know what's happening, but the reason they would do this is that Watson started a firestorm and the biggest thing that came out that he was pissed about was the Texans not interviewing EB. So if you're trying to calm things with Watson, new GM's first job should be to go interview everyone on Watson's list.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. justtxyank

McClain says it's down to Culley and Frazier, Berman says they are the frontrunners and "remains to be seen" where it is headed

Rudyc281 likes this.