1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it possible to bring in Steve Nash?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Achilleus, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Last night Matt Bullard mentioned Steve Nash as a possible player for next year. I'm not sure if he meant by trade, or by free agency, but I suspect for us to have a shot at him we would have to lose a player.

If I was the general manager , I'd look at moving Cuttino Mobley and making a run at Nash. If he's not a free agent, if the Mavs lose in the first round, maybe Cuban would put him on the block (although he is a "captain".)

Move Steve to the 2, and let Nash play the one. Steve Francis is only an inch shorter than mobley, so the height difference on defence wont be that dramatic.

1 - Steve Nash
    2 - Steve Francis
    3 - Jim Jackson
    4 - Mo Taylor
    5 - Yao Ming

Just conjecture, sorry if its been mentioned already.

2. ths balla

ths balla Member

even though i would love nash on the rockets, the kid just dont play "D"

3. cloudnine

cloudnine Contributing Member

We don't need a point guard, we need a legitimate power forward.

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

you do know who our current PG is??? right

Nash is several notches above him on defense

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Francis is a better defender than Nash, no question about it. Obviously though, Nash is a hell of offensive point guard.

6. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

really???...why do you say that?

7. rocksolid

i think smeg was saying the contrary...

8. sup123

sup123 Member

why do people keep saying SF at 2 guard. Do yall see how many open jumpers he passes up; cause he is not a good shooter.

9. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i know, my wording came out wrong. Steve Francis is a much better defender than Steve Nash, i don't think anyone can argue any different. However on the offensive side, i wouldn't mind having Nash.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Francis has JVG to help him. Nash has Nelly. Everyone said Francis was horrible at D last year, this year he's getting props. I'd be faily confident to say that JVG can turn nash into just as good of a defender as Francis.

11. rocksolid

no doubt.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think thats because JVG wants SF setting up teamates. If JVG gave SF the greenlight again, I'm sure SF wouldn't mind shooting more. Even though he had a bad year, this is still a guy who averaged 22ppg one year.

13. gucci888

Edit: No way Cuban lets Nash walk this year. Him and Dirk make up a ridiculous combo, he'd rather have Finley leave.

Also, Nash is looking for a big contract and there will be teams that are willing to pay him.

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

If JVG gave SF the greenlight again, I'm sure SF wouldn't mind shooting more. Even though he had a bad year, this is still a guy who averaged 22ppg one year

Who told Francis not to shoot? Have you not seen any of JVG's comments where he says that he doesn't want Francis to shoot less, he just doesn't want him to dribble so much before each shot. Francis averaged 16.2 shots/game last year and 14.1 this year. That's not a huge difference. Most likely it's due to the emergence of Yao, JJ taking more shots than Posey did and Francis being hesitant to shoot the outside shot because his shot has been off all year.

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

plenty of people can argue and think differently

Steve showed some glimpses of defensive intensity at the start of the season... but then that declined and his normal defensive traits showed thru

he cannot stop dribble penetration, he still does the stupid skipping thing when his player runs a pnr in an attempt to make it look like his fighting thru the screen when he really isn't... our bigs show on the pnr reasonably well but his recovery is non-existent and then when his player doesn't have the ball he ball watches and loses his player loads of times.. often those rush/fisher 3s are an example of this.

he has the physical skills to be able to play great D, but because of his lack of effort and intelligence he is one of the worst point guards at defense in the league

Nash doesn't have the physical skills to be a super defender nevertheless is effort is super and he uses his smarts to overcome his speed/jumping ability deficiencies.....

16. gucci888

Let me re-word this. I'm not saying JVG told SF not to shoot, but SF has definitely passed up shots he normally would have taken to set his teamates up. SF has definitely tried to become the PG we want him to be, but it makes him hesitate when he shoots sometimes, usually resulting in a miss.

I agree that part of the reason is his loss of confidence, but he still has the ability to score at will. Something JVG didn't use this season.

17. tozai

tozai Member

Ughhh...Cuttino is a better shooting guard than Francis. Running a backcourt with Nash and Francis makes me want to throw up. People are too damn attached to Steve. If we're going to trade him, we better get a good FORWARD.

Steve gets/got his points on ISO's. If we want any sort of team offense, moving Steve to SG would kill it.

Again, why is Steve a better SHOOTING guard than Cuttino?

18. dragonsnake

dragonsnake Contributing Member

No kidding, this line up will get killed at defense end and badly outrebound night in and night out. And there is no point to invest 22M in our backcourt while we have a very good center that has potential to be great.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You only know what was said in public. We also have Francis' comments about being afraid to make a mistake. Writing his poor performance off to improvements in other players and his shot being 'off' seems naive.

As far as this thread - have you seen Nash's contract? No way he comes here unless it's for Francis.

20. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

francis is not a good set shooter, he has to break down his opponent off the dribble so it doesn't really make sense to move him to sg, expecially since we would then have 2 pgs as our starting guards, both with below avg defense, could u imagine francis trying to guard bryant? nash- francis - jackson is just to small and poor defensively, i'd just assume trade francis for nash, i doubt they would do that trade anyways but hey they are going to blow the team up most likely if they lose this series so you never know, acquiring nash for francis isn't going to get it done though, either way we are going to need a bonafied PF