1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020: What Are You Watching - Corona Edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Mar 15, 2020.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

I watched that the other day. It's decent. Some of the 'tricks' required some stretch of suspense disbelief, but I played along.

Preferred the original French voice (with English subtitle) over the Eng dub.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I just finished LUPIN - Wanted more.
    5 Episodes was not enough

I DECIDED TO REVISIT - DollHouse!
    It's on Hulu

Rocket River

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Finished The Wire a few weeks ago. Perfect. Love that they didn't put a fairytale bow on the finale. Sometimes the bad guys don't get caught, politics, government and otherwise, still ruin everything, and sometimes the saddest cases stay outright depressing. Poor Dukie. The game doesn't change, but the players do. A lot of trading places. Funny sidenote... Bunk (Wendell Pierce) goes to the same barbershop that I do here in Pasadena, CA. Only knew him from Hackers prior to watching this series.

We've been binging the hell out of Breaking Bad since it was another one that I've heard about everywhere over the last decade. We're currently in the last season. Hank just found the book by Walt Whitman. :eek: The seasons up to this last one have been kind of dark comedies. This season is just flat out dark. Looking forward the the rest and the movie afterwards.

This pandemic has made me strongly consider cutting the cord. We already subscribe to Netflix. I have Hulu, Disney Plus, Espn+, Discovery+ through my cellphone package. May have to subscribe to HBO Max since we get it through the cable package. Can't do without Succession, Big Little Lies, and Euphoria when their seasons resume since we've already invested time in them.

Buck Turgidson and jiggyfly like this.
  4. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I'm struggling once again to watch the first season of American Horror Story. The first time I watched it I gave up after the first episode. I'm farther along this time, but I just can't get into it.

I can't put my finger on it. It's polished and has a good cast that I've loved in other things, but I tire of it so quickly. I guess I'm like, just kill this family and be done with it.

On another note, I finished The Outsider. It doesn't deliver a great many scares, but the story is solid (it's a fairly close/well done adaptation of a recent Stephen King book & Jason Bateman produced it, for those that aren't aware). I understand there might be a second season somewhere if the showrunners can find a home for it. I hope so. (Nothing is left hanging--I just want more of these characters/this type of story.)

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Glad you enjoyed the Wire.

Once you finish Breaking Bad just transition into Better call Saul, great show its been a Dark comedy so far but you can tell its not gonna end well for some of the new characters.

It's fascinating how they created Sauls back story and sad.

Also the correct spelling is Dookie.:D

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  6. OmegaSupreme

Oh yeah... I forgot about the spin-off. Thanks for the reminder. Will watch it next unless the other half needs a break from the Breaking Bad universe. If so, may do The Sopranos.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not gonna lie, you should probably do Sopranos 1st and then come back.

I love the show but its hard watching Saul become what he was and everything that will probably happen to the people around.

I have to get my mind right to start a season, I have not yet started the last one.

Have you seen Justified?

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I really liked the 1st season because it has a lot of WTF moment but after awhile its starts to be only those moments.

Lets just say it does not really get better, if you are not interested to see how it ends, just stop.

#808 jiggyfly, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  9. OmegaSupreme

Duly noted regarding Saul. It's hard watching this last season of BB seeing Walter become the top dog. I mean anyone could have seen it coming, but I didn't anticipate him being this ruthless. Dude went from being the antihero in seasons 1-4 to cold-blooded, heartless supervillain in season 5. I actually hate the character now. :D

Also, nope... haven't seen Justified. I just know that it's a series, but nothing of what it's about. Will look into it and possibly put it on the list.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Justified is kind of a cop procedural but with great character developement and a big bad every season.

Good mix of comedy and drama.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Wait, what? That's ****ing awesome, tell him I say he's awesome. If you haven't watched "Treme", you should.

#811 Buck Turgidson, Jan 26, 2021
    OmegaSupreme likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Just the first season, then it got good. Really good.

arkoe and jiggyfly like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Usually go for dark animated series..... but shout out to Infinity Train on HBOMax. It's a really creative, funny, entertaining kid's show in the same vein as Dexter's Lab (minus the awesome animation) which I grew up watching.

14. OmegaSupreme

Ahh... gotcha. Trailer looks good and have always been a fan of Goggins. Next three series are locked up. Thanks, Jiggy.

Ha. :) The few times that I've seen him, I'm either at the tail end of my cut or paying the barber and walking out. So nothing more than a "Take it easy" in passing.

Treme... noted.

Sorry for the lack of suggestions on my end for the both of you. Working from home and being here pretty much 24/7, we're just catching up to everything that's been trending the last 15-20 years. Things that we have watched are popular enough that folks have already seen them. Prior to the pandemic, the only series we watched were...

Six Feet Under
    Succession
    The Leftovers (Christ... this was good. Regina King's monologue and exchange with Carrie Coon in the episode titled Lens in season 2 is my favorite scene in anything that I've ever watched. Movie, series, or whatever.)
    Game of Thrones
    Big Little Lies
    Euphoria
    You
    The Walking Dead

The first several are great. The last several are decent time wasters.

Pandemic watched:

Ratchet
    Queen's Gambit
    The Wire
    Breaking Bad (in last season)

Need to watch:

Sopranos
    Better Call Saul
    Justified
    Treme

Buck Turgidson and FrontRunner like this.
  15. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Yeah, the show has had some good moments so far, like the clown down in the basement and the home invasion. It's just when nothing scary is happening it's brutally slow. It almost reminds me of a soap opera with the drawn out storylines, and the constant teasing with very little payoff. I think the demand for commercial breaks killed the pacing too.

I'm going to finish it though if I can.

#815 FrontRunner, Jan 26, 2021
    jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Those 2 ladies are fantastic in everything I've seen them in.

Put "Watchmen", the HBO series, on your list if you haven't seen it yet.

Oh, and all 4 seasons of Fargo.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  17. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Late to the party as I hadn't heard of it before when it came out, but Operation Odessa on Netflix is excellent.

It's a Columbian and Russian drug cartel/ spy documentary, and the fact that it's a true story is amazing.

18. Buck Turgidson

It is indeed excellent.

‘Operation Odessa’ Review: Soviets, Subs and Lots of Cocaine
    The startlingly true story of the $35 million sale of a Soviet submarine to the Cali cocaine cartel by a Russian mob enforcer, a dicey Miami car dealer and a Cuban drug smuggler.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/operation-odessa-review-soviets-subs-and-lots-of-cocaine-1522358096

OkayAyeReloaded and jiggyfly like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Need to add Mad Men to that list one of the top 5 american tv series ever made.

GIGO and OmegaSupreme like this.
  20. GIGO

GIGO Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.