1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

At this point I've talked myself into wanting Zach Wilson as Watson's replacement. If Watson want's to stay I'm all for it, if not bring in Wilson.

Marteen, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Baker Mayfield gets more ad money and attention than any QB other than Mahomes.

There is zero reason why Mayfield is more of a “face” than Watson at this point... other than having a better agent.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The longer this plays out without any semblance of communication or public statements (either confirming or refuting), the more it seems pre-meditated.

If Watson is purely angry about the GM situation, I feel there would have been a statement from his camp explaining that. If Watson was purely angry at Easterby, same thing. Right now if you’re really looking for an exit strategy, you accumulate as many issues as possible... get the media involved... release a cryptic tweet here/there... stay silent so you don’t raise any criticism against your actions... and then let the pieces fall where they can.

With this strategy he could also reverse course and undo everything... he hasn’t burned any bridges... but this story is now more than a month old without a single plausible statement of confirmation (or denial) from either side.

joshuaao, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Unless it has recently changed recently Mahomes, Brees, Brady, and Rodgers are the QB's that make more in endorsements than Watson. Currently Watson is tied with Dak Prescott and ahead of players like Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz and Mayfield.

5. mario_v

mario_v Member

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So Mayfield having a commercial every 2 minutes must not be paying him well? Can’t recall the last time I saw a Brees commercial... but again, shows you that market size doesn’t really matter all that much in the NFL.

Yes, being a winner in a big city usually is the best recipe... albeit didn’t really elevate Eli above Peyton... or Jared Goff above Matt Ryan. The last famous Jets QB was Joe Namath... Mark Sanchez didn’t get the national spotlight when he led those other Jets teams to AFC title games.

All goes to say that while Watson in a huge market seems like a win-win for everybody... it really only makes a difference if he actually wins it all, and even then his status doesn’t get that much more elevated from a relative standpoint as to winning MVP’s or SB’s in cities like KC, New Orleans... or HOUSTON.

7. conquistador#11

No clue what's going on here or what's being referenced.
    But this is a hilarious post in those comments:

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Hopefully with all the click baiting from Schefter it will drive up the price on the Watson Sweepstakes. I mean even the Texans can’t screw that up right?

aww who am I kidding :(

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Hey guys it could be worse! Imagine if it was BOB trading Watson! He’d send him to Detroit for Stafford and a second.

joshuaao, Houstunna, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2021... Texans have rid themselves of Hopkins and Watson.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

God’s plan

— Jack

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Easter Bunny always delivers.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

How do you think this ends for the Texans?

If Watson sits out, the Texans have cut off their nose to spite their face. They are just as terrible and get nothing from Watson.

If they force Watson to come back, how does that go? What kind of commitment are you going to get from a player who hates his management? How does that work having the face of their franchise that they want to promote not wanting to be there?

If Watson ultimately wants out, there's no scenario where it works out for the Texans to keep him.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The situation along with your comments is very real and sickening

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Texans will only trade him if there is a package worth trading him for. Players “hold out” all the time in the NFL... and its rare that the player ultimately wins unilaterally.

He loses game checks if he sits out. He also doesn’t help his brand, garner endorsements, and basically loses a season of his prime as this isn’t the NBA and QB’s don’t just pick up new systems mid-season, and losing a prime year with earnings is a big loss.

You also can’t “half-ass” it in football... like you can in basketball and baseball. If you’re on the field.. you play hard and stay sharp, or you get hurt. He will be paid handsomely to be a professional... he also risks further ostracizing if he doesn’t handle it professionally.

mario_v likes this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think that’s a great way of putting it. I don’t believe that the McNair’s are racists, I just think they are representative of an outdated mindset from a different era. The world has changed around them, but they don’t really see it. I don’t think they are bad people, and I’m guessing that there’s no real malicious intent to any of it, they just don’t understand that a lot has changed since the Reagan administration.

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

On a live stream just now, Patrick Storm stated that a trade request was coming soon.

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  19. Texanstradamus

Honestly I don’t see how this franchise get this fanbase back if they trade him like this unless u have a fanbase that is nothing but Debbie the Texan who will root for the team if they went 0-16 5 years straight what would be the selling point ? It’s not like they have won before so I mean maybe McNairs selling the team idk but trading a DE for nothing then an All pro Wr for nothing then possibly a generational QB that u don’t find often that usually the staple of every team building blocks

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Rudyc281 likes this.