1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers felt Houston did not call them back for a counteroffer before Brooklyn deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'll summarize it: if we can't sign a better player than Simmons, and I assure you 3 clones of Ben Simmons do not make anyone a title contender, then we are f'ed anyway. You might be right. Tilman may have destroyed our ability to sign people. But Stone learned from Morey, so he will go the route of expiring contracts and picks to nab players.

Also, there is no chance Harden, Durant and Irving in their mid 30's and all lesser defenders than they are now can stay on the floor together and the team will be hard capped soon. This is a perfect recipe for a disaster. Can trade up with picks. Imagine we get #4 this year, and can grab the #1 pick by attaching Brooklyn's picks. You can get a Simmons every year in the draft. If he won 10 DPOY it wouldn't matter because when it's time for us to make a big shot, his defender will be helping on our best scorer and he/we can't do anything about it.

Picks don't pan out sometimes, that's an accepted downside and they are still treated as precious assets in the NBA especially when they are future unprotected ones. It's WAY more valuable than you are letting on here by just mentioning the negatives and the worst outcomes.

Sorry about the name calling.

D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I understand that thinking.

One thing I think that no one is really talking about is the probability that the Nets end up trading Kyrie within the next two years. They could get a decent return and that's the wild card to extend their window.

I'm with you and I hope KD and Harden opt out in two years. I hope no one wants to go play there and I hope the Rockets get 5 top 5 picks out of this (2023,2024,2025,2026, 2027). I hope my initial dislike of this trade was nothing buy over worrying and I hope Stone is the best GM in the NBA. I'm already hoping that Oladipo is here long term (I'm not a huge tanker when we can bank on the Nets to be bad).

No worries on the name calling, it's natural to get passionate on things.

#342 treyk3, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I hope they all stay because Irving doesn't fit, and in 2 years they will not be able to score enough points to make up for their rapidly-declining, already-bad defense.

I don't think they can trade Irving soon, would be suicide to do it while he's dealing with mental health circumstances. Young fans would tune them out too, they don't **** on mental illness like old fans.

More likely they trade Harris and Dinwiddie for, say, Gordon, Tucker and House. Maybe we can get Claxton thrown in and we throw in a 2nd rounder. Harris is pointless there, all 3 stars are elite shooters, they can get a few 3&D players and improve their defense/rebounding dramatically while keeping the same ceiling offensively.

treyk3 likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok but its still ridiculous to say every move Tilman has done is to save money.

5. dmoneybangbang

Every move is a bit much, but I would say Tilman has been more of a penny pincher than Les. The Harden haul seems to be a preference for cutting costs and competing later than sooner.

D-rock likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

With the Lakers around its dumb to think you are gonna compete sooner IMO. Like lets be real the Nets, Portland and whoever else arent winning the championship from LeGoat and AD. There isnt a big name FA either since almost everybody noteworthy has resigned with their team. 2022 is the earliest you can think off at being a contender. The only haul I can think of better than the Nets one is Celtics with Jaylen Brown and I dunno how much Ainge offered. Brown has at times played better than Tatum so was he even on the market tk begin with?

Even without the money implications I take this Nets deal over Philly (Maxey and Thybulle are overhyped Jones and Tate), Miami (Herro? Lulz) and Nuggets (if they offered MPJ at all).

#346 roslolian, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Guess what genius, Rockets were #1 defense this past postseason.

Only reason Rockets are even top 10 now is because Silas finally started playing more small ball switch everything defense.

That is last season's defense.

Not the hybrid BS that Silas was insisting on up until the last 5-6 games.

This team will struggle just like last season's team did versus the bigger better teams in postseason.

The difference will be our offense is so much worse than last season.

HP3 likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone never gave Philly a chance to counter or better the Nets offer.

That was what the hubbub was all about.

HP3 likes this.
  9. DLT

DLT Member

You don't know what they will look like against the big teams just yet. We have yet to see a wood-Boogie front court

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

roslolian and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do you want Rockets to maintain their top 6 defensive ranking?

Then you'd better hope that we never see that front court together for any great length of time.

HP3 likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Dude its not Stone's job to wait on Morey to be ready. You act like Stone never gave Morey the time of day when reality is Nets have everything lined up Sixers dont even have a final offer on the table yet. Even here the way it's phrased is so dumb Rox are the one with the commodity why are they the ones expected to call Morey to ask for an offer? Morey should be the one calling them trying to get Harden with his best offer on the table.

Phones are two way form of communication. Instead of waiting for Rox to call him why didnt Morey call the Rockets? Thats why Morey failed to close the deal, something that has happened a lot during his Rox tenure.

CXbby and hakeem94 like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Simmons lack of production with Embiid out really sours me on Simmons and bolsters Embiid's MVP case. It looks like he's the one who enables others to score, including Simmons.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

You obviously have never negotiated with multiple entities.

HP3 likes this.
  15. HardenVolumeOne

Ben Simmons would like nice in a rockets jersey. Although it’s still early with oladipo

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah you just have extreme bias for Morey. Why can't Morey call the Rockets on his own initiative before whining that Rox didnt call him back? Why couldnt he be more proactive, get offers to trade Simmons for picks like what Nets did for Allen/Levert and then call Rox with his grandfather offer?

Harden has been on the market since before season started, Morey had 1 month to make a grandfather offer before Harden gave those "trade me" comments post game. Why didnt he do anything and just wait for Rox to call him?

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

How do you know he didnt?

HP3 likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Simmons would be horrible next to Wall. It would prob mess up the spacing even more and the Rox would still be capped out next year with no wiggle room to improve the team. It would be better than nothing but I like the Nets package more gives us more flexibility to go in either direction depending on how the team looks.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Because if he did he wouldnt say Rockets didnt call him back. He'd say Rox didnt answer his calls or something.

How do you know Morey gave a grand father offer and Rox just ignored him?

20. dmoneybangbang

Who knows what was really offered but I'm leaning more towards the Nets deal after watching Simmons close out that Laker game tonight. 2023 is probably about the time line for the Roxs to have some sort of identity past asset accumulation with the path we are on.

roslolian likes this.