1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr traded to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Someone I know that is in Cleveland and follows the Cavs closely put it this way...... "Bad things seem to happen wherever Kevin is and goes. Even when nothing bad happens there is the fear that it could have. I think they figured out that the problem is a lot bigger than immaturity."

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kevin Porter Jr. needs to be mentally strong and spend time alone with himself and say no to people who wants money or women constantly catfishing him and try to be gold diggers. Watch his Instagram, Women constantly want him.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There was nothing passive aggressive about my takes, you might want to look up what that means.

My take was that KPJ is the one who has to change and that claiming Cleve did not give him the proper support or that they just threw him away is without merit.

Please show how that is being passive aggressive?

That poster was claiming we had a better locker room and I asked how could he know that again what is passive aggressive about that.

That poster also said that he just needed to be pulled aside and shown how to be a man, do you think that has not been tried and it will be that simple?

Ity seems to bother you that I ask questions that try and get at the root of the issues with players and don't automatically go into pom pom waving, I have seen to many guys with issues come through here that never changed so sorry for saying what the real 1st step has to be.

Accountability from KPJ.

Please explain how that is passive aggressive in your mind.

Ramo$e likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It is different and no reason to not state the difference.

Thanks for clarifying.

Nook likes this.
  5. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

I just pray and hope that KPJ is able to overcome his off-court issues and demons. This kid is TALENTED and I would love for him to be a valuable contributor for our team. For a team that just lost James Harden, it sure does feel nice to get a player who is often rightfully compared to Harden by media and his former teammates. Here's to hoping things workout well for both parties.

D-rock and Ramo$e like this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

All we know at this point is Porter Jr can be a blessing in disguise or a curse lying in wait.
    Personally I think he will get it together and will have a 12pt 5rbd 3 asst season for us off the bench.

Ben Frank likes this.
  7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Having been there before, he has to want to sever ALL ties - new phone number. new address, etc. Obviously they will know where you work.

It's scary because you feel like you're on an island with no friends for awhile but you have to stay strong and know that it won't last long. It's worth the small sacrifice of time in the grand scheme of your life.

I personally don't care about the protected pick or the needed talent. I just hope he see's the light before it's too late for his own good.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

These types of highlights give us a better idea of what to expect from Porter Jr.

There are many of them to watch.

D-rock likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I can tell you now by watching him that he really needs to work on his defense and shot selection.

Patience and saleem like this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Talented but raw. He needs to listen to his coaches. Silas needs to bring out the best in him. It's gonna be a hard task, no doubt.

11. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Sounds like the kid needs some good ole fashion John Lucas mentoring.

Been watching MJ/Bulls Last Dance and the story of MJ and Gus Lett aired. Gus became father figure to MJ, so much that MJ wanted him around all the time.

Hopefully Kevin can turn a corner here grow up and realize he has better options.

fckbandwagons and Verbal Christ like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See there he looks 19.

DD

coachbadlee likes this.
  13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

How long are the rockets going to have him on punishment? Ready to see him play.

coachbadlee and D-rock like this.
  14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm no professional, but I think he has borderline personality disorder. I've seen it in people before. Things start to go well? -> self destruct.
    https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/borderline-personality-disorder/index.shtml

• Fear of abandonment. People with BPD are often terrified of being abandoned or left alone. ...
    • Unstable relationships. ...
    • Unclear or shifting self-image. ...
    • Impulsive, self-destructive behaviors. ...
    • Self-harm. ...
    • Extreme emotional swings. ...
    • Chronic feelings of emptiness. ...
    • Explosive anger.
    This sounds like him to me. He can definitely get treatment and work on himself. He's very far from being a lost cause or anything brash like that. I really hope he seeks out a therapist and goes to them for the rest of his life. You pay good money to see a therapist, but the quality of life he could gain from getting help would pay for itself. I'm rooting for him. Seems like a good guy with an early foundational trauma experience he may not even remember.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm sure this has been posted but I never read it myself if anybody else has missed this I will link it.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/6/19/18684292/kevin-porter-jr-2019-nba-draft

The take away is that there is not a lack of strong male figures in his life.

J Crawford has been in his life since he was 15 and played ball with his father.

Not that this proves anything but his issues are not from a lack of people trying to help him.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Literally the only potential downside to this is if he is a locker room cancer. Except that doesn't matter when you're trying for a bottom 4 record in the NBA so you can keep your pick (and god I hope that's what we're doing).

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think it's super disrespectful of you to make assumptions about that woman and refer to her the way you did. It's not necessary.

All of that said, no. nobody looks like they got punched by a 6'5 220 lb man. If a guy that big really wanted to punch a woman they would be interviewing her from her hospital bed.

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Exactly. Also I don’t think I’m being disrespectful, its an objective observation. But apologies for any offense taken.

D-rock likes this.
  20. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

It's quite possible, but as fans we may never know for sure. All we have are just articles and tweets to work with to see if he might meet the DSM-V diagnostic criteria for BPD. I think it's probably best if we, as Rockets fans, try not to push a psychiatric diagnosis on a message board of all places and potentially push a false narrative. I think our newest Rocket deserves that much at least. (Sorry, I'm not trying to come off as combative or anything).