1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wouldn't that make them bigots? If they truly feel Christianity is the only way then they are as misguided as the Dark Age Templars and that is coming from a Christian. Crusading for what in a professional football sphere?

Cal has enough money why not just start a church instead of trying to turn a professional football team into one.

Sooty and Hey Now! like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't know how deep Cal's religion runs in him because I don't know him. But if the reports are true about this being a really religious thing for him now, people like that would make a (justifiable) argument that if you really believe the Bible and the teachings of Christ it would be wrong to say you can separate professional life from your faith life.

Nook likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I seriously doubt there is a cult over there. This exaggerated and sensationalized rhetoric is great for media to talk about and get fan bases talking.
    As a business owner, I seriously doubt anyone is making decisions strictly based on religion and refusing to hire based on religion. The ramifications of that coming out publicly, specially in the richest sports league in the country, are significant and very likely.

I think the main culprit is incompetence and gullibility on Cals part.

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Well the optics doesn't look so great, that every single team decided to give a well qualified Muslim an interview aside from the Cal and his religious crony even with the urging of the franchise qb.
    Like what's the harm of "pretending to do due diligence"?

5. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

100% Agree.

If there was a cult there, then we woudn't have had some of the guys in our organization that we've had. Not saying we've been the Cocaine Cowboys or anything, but something like that would've leaked and been out LONG before all of this Watson/Easterby drama came up.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I agree there man. It just adds fuel to the fire. They had a chance to squash all of that and didn’t.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think it's a cult. I think a lot of the reporting is probably sensationalized. But I absolutely believe that Cal McNair wasn't going to hire a Muslim as the head coach. If you think that's a cult mentality then you'd be surprised how many people who own businesses and attend Memorial Presbyterian or Second or First Baptist you'd lump into "cult."

A LOT of Christians believe that you are supposed to put God first in all walks of life. If you listen to any of the mainstream churches in this city EXCEPT LAKEWOOD you will hear that message over and over. Now sure, most people who go to Church don't actually practice what they are taught, but a lot of them take parts of it very seriously.

Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Now it makes sense.

“65-year old WR coach?!” ... Jack Easterby guy

“I was a church go-er but wouldn’t say I was a Christian. I got invited, I went. I enjoyed the meetings.”
    “Experience completely changed my life.”
    “It’s not just about athletics. It’s about being the total human being.”

#2408 J.R., Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If the only people you surround yourself with are like minded and intolerant then it definitely is a cult.

If EVERYONE who has interviewed for jobs here since Easterby arrived HAS to have faith as a leading motivator then it is cult.

Call it what it is.

Joshfast, Htown Legend and J.R. like this.
  10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Because he has Easterby holding hands with him and telling him that he can have both - a football team and a church...

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

and to be completely clear what is going on with the team is not evangelism it is proselytism.

Interesting too is that Islam for example does not "convert" ... it invites people to the religion.

What is happening here seems like a forced conversion of anyone who wants to remain as an employee of the Houston Texans.

I wouldnt be surprised if in the future some kind of litigation doesnt transpire from all of this in respect to religious discrimination and harkens to the civil rights acts of the 60s.

Cal and Jack are walking on a slippery slope.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Goodell and his shareholders (i.e. - other owners and TV execs) would get involved long before it comes to that. Yes, the Texans are a privately owned corporation... but they’re part of a much larger/more powerful organization that doesn’t want any team to impact their overall brand and net worths.

If McNair wants to operate a church and disguise it as a football team, he will be forced to do that outside of the NFL. Hell, the NFL could easily step in now on both sides (namely have Watson’s camp start to be honest/up-front with everybody).

Htown Legend and Verbal Christ like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I agree, just wonder how long that will take. I think Goodell and Co. are perfectly happy leaving the Texans on the limb as the bible thumping whipping boys of the league as long as their dues keep getting paid. Houston fans have shown that they will not stop their support. I guess the first thing would be that fans have to take this as a cause and refuse to keep pumping money into the 20th most valuable sports team in the world. Im not sure I can believe that will happen - anytime soon at least.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

McClain:

Early on, you were dismissive of a Watson trade. What changed?

He could be traded. Anyone could be traded. I could also weigh 180 lbs in the month too. I always thought they’d find a way to work it out. ... I think they’ll get it worked out, even though his agent leaked to ESPN he wouldn’t be back under any circumstance. He’s under contract. You retire or play. If you sit out, you don’t get credit for the season. If they make it Harden ugly, you have no choice but to trade him but I can’t imagine him doing what Harden did.

Percentage at now?

Until he’s traded, I’m not gonna believe it. I can’t put a percentage on it. I haven’t heard Watson say he wants to be traded. All unnamed sources. So I’m still gonna say he’s not gonna be traded.

What do you make of Watson not saying anything? Silence speak volumes?

No idea what Deshaun thinks. If he wanted to be traded, why not say so? Silence to me means he’s waiting to see what happens.

Who is Watson’s choice?

No idea what Watson thinks. Anyone we asked him about, he praised including Bill O’Brien and Jack Easterby. Never heard him say anything bad about anyone until the last Zoom when he said people here think they have too much power (Easterby). I don’t know if he’s met Leslie Frazier. Said he never met Bieniemy. Sources say he was interested in Robert Saleh. He doesn’t know Robert Saleh. He knows them by reputation. Leslie Frazier is widely respected. If they hire him or Caldwell, once he knows them, I’m sure he’ll like them.

If they’re so great, why are the Texans the only team interested in Frazier or Caldwell?

Never heard anyone use the word great. That’s your word, not mine. I don’t know. Maybe they don’t like older guys. Caldwell is 66, Frazier is 61. I have no idea what other teams thought.

Coincidence that Leslie Frazier has the same agent as Easterby and Caserio?

Of course it’s not a coincidence. So does Tim Kelly. Jim Caldwell doesn’t have him. David Culley doesn’t have him. No, it’s not a coincidence.

Plans with David Culley?

Brought him in for a 2nd interview, this time in person. Caserio has interviewed Culley and Frazier twice. Caldwell once and Caldwell with the search committee before. I don’t know. I can’t imagine they’d waste Culley’s time on flying in if they didn’t like him a lot.

Chance David Culley works for Frazier?

I don’t know why they need to interview Culley a 2nd time since he and Frazier know each other very well, if they wanted him to be an assistant. People respect him. I think Tim Kelly will be back as play caller. There’s always room for assistant head coaches. I hope they keep Romeo Crennel. He’s a great guy to have around. Knowledge, expertise, experience, doesn’t backstab or talk behind people’s backs. Not many have the universal respect Romeo has.

Value of Tim Kelly if Watson is traded?

He helped Watson have the best season of his career. Watson loves the guy but he also spoke up for Bill O’Brien as well.

Would Culley take a lateral move?

Would they let him out of his contract? We don’t know that. If he came here, he wouldn’t be calling plays. No idea what the Ravens would allow him to do.

How involved is Jack Easterby in the coach process?

No idea because I’m not involved but they interviewed McCown and Easterby is a big McCown guy. The fact they interviewed him, I guarantee that was all Jack Easterby.

Will he be on the next staff?

Has one year left on his deal. He’ll be here, if not as a player, yes on staff.

Doesn’t that hamstring the next coach?

3 different coaches started putting together staffs. Bieniemy, Caldwell and Frazier. You have to reach out to people. I don’t think they said you have to keep Tim Kelly. I think they explained the situation with Watson and if it was a deal breaker, they wouldn’t be coming back for 2nd interviews.

If Cal McNair called you and said I want you to be in charge. With Caserio as GM, Bill O’Brien as HC or Jack in his current role?

Bill O’Brien. If I was Cal, I would have told Jack however much I owe you, we’ll let you resign. You shouldn’t, we shouldn’t, Nick shouldn’t have to put up with all this criticism. Let him resign, have Bill and after Jack left, fire Bill and hire a new coach.

Bieniemy?

I have no idea. By the rules, he could have interviewed Monday. As far as I know, they didn’t interview him. It’s telling they brought back those others for 2nd interviews in persons and didn’t reach out for another with Bieniemy. I’ve been saying for a week I won’t be surprised if it’s Frazier. Others think it’s Caldwell. A lot still holding out hope for Bieniemy. Surprised when they brought in Culley for a 2nd. Hopefully they get it wrapped up this week.

This week, which would eliminate Bieniemy.

This week, yeah. If Frazier had won, they would wait and interview him again. I’m like you guys, want to get moving, see the staff and focus on Watson.

Sales pitch for Frazier over Bieniemy and the other guys?

No clue because I have no idea what went on in the meetings. If it’s Frazier, I’m sure they’ll say he deserved a 2nd chance, did a great job with Buffalo, respected around the league. I’m sure they won’t say this but defense needs an overhaul. Gotta decide what they’ll do with Watt. If they do move on, that’ll wipe out their cap problem plus gives them several more million and will have a lot of money to spend because they’ll be getting rid of some guys. Ordinarily you do anyways but with a new GM, new coach, they’ll end up changing probably 45% of the roster. They can say Frazier is a defensive coach.

What do we know about this search that listeners need to know?

Interviewed 9 people. McCown was a waste of time, so 8. People with 2nd interviews are most serious. Wrote I thought it came down to four. Frazier, Bieniemy, Eberflus and Caldwell. Did not put David Culley in there. Now has to be down to Frazier, Culley, and Caldwell.

Is Jack Easterby pulling the strings?

Absolutely not. Caserio has it in his contract he makes these decisions.

But he hasn’t. McCown was Easterby.

Easterby recommended him and Caserio interviewed him. Will Easterby stay in his lane? No. His lanes keep spreading out, like the freeway. He’s getting involved in business operations. Jamey Rootes I don’t think will be back. Easterby, as director of football operations, every director of football operations makes suggestions and gets involved on the football side but if Caserio doesn’t want to interview someone, he won’t. Caserio on game days with the Patriots sat in the press box and communicated with Belichick and McDaniels. He’s seen Frazier’s defense. He must respect the job Frazier has done to bring him back for a 2nd interview.

Yes, Caserio can have final say but doesn’t mean Easterby isn’t really making the decision. Would you agree with that?

Absolutely not. They have great respect for Caserio and his personality. He’s not being manipulated about what he’s doing over there. I’d be shocked. Easterby signed McCown. Easterby loves the guy.

How confident would you be in the way things are being orchestrated at the top?

Not confident at all but want to see the way it plays out. QB wants out, big decision on Watt, roster makeover coming, trying to hire a HC, if it’s not Bieniemy, people won’t be excited. They have to prove themselves. Caserio has never been a GM. It’ll be more than a year before we know about Caserio. If they get a HC and can convince Watson to stay, I’ll feel better about Caserio and new HC than I do right now.

What would a Watson trade look like?

Gonna have to pay a hell of a lot more than two ones. Two ones the next two years, two twos and ask for more high picks or their two best defensive players (Quinnen Williams and Marcus Maye). It’d have to be with the Jets. After Lawrence, according to draft experts, looks like a good QB draft. Of course you’d have to pick the right one. Next year, they’re saying it doesn’t look that good. Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, maaaybe Trey Lance.

Is there a Woody Johnson factor here? He loves big splashy moves and will overpay.

They better deal with the Jets. They’re #2 and you cant deal with anyone else and be guaranteed getting the 2nd QB in the draft behind Lawrence. Woody Johnson coming back might want to make a big splash. All I know is they better get more than Bud Adams got when he traded the rights to Joe Namath.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the thumping of the Bible is causing you ill effects, then buy the team from Cal and his mother. Then you can run the team the way you would like. If the players start coming out saying that it’s causing problems, then the NFL should step in and do something. I read this forum for the purposes of being a fan of the Houston sports teams and not for the decimation of a particular sect, if I wanted that kind of hatred then I would venture over to the D&D, y’all have the right to talk about what you want, just like we all have the right to follow or unfollow the Texans. I completely understand the passion, but where is the distinct evidence, it seems to me there is bias in all the presumptive evidence laid out on this particular forum.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If the team is literally hiring/firing front office members or choosing players based solely on religious preference... that should be reprimanded, regardless of anybody’s religious beliefs.

17. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

I would like to say if Easterby is what is being reported, I would have a problem with working with him.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

One of the things I like most about Frazier and culley(not HC maybe OC or AHC).

Is their experience.

These guys have been coaching in the NFL for decades.

We have been a really poor coached team for awhile now. And it’s time we really get back to the basic fundamentals.

Also...referring mostly about Frazier he brings an identity. Something we haven’t had in years as well.

O’Brien was suppose to be this QB whisperer and this nascar offense and we saw neither in 6 years.

Our offense under O’Brien was always mediocre predictable and vanilla.

Frazier would bring a defensive identity to this team and bieniemy would bring an actual offensive identity.

Let’s get some real grown men in here with decades of experience. With actual identities and let’s get back to some actual real NFL coaching and let’s build this team back up.

PS I don’t think people really understand the horrible impact O’Brien had on this team for 6 years. And it’s not going to be corrected overnight.

3Rings and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. bigdaddy

Supporting Member

I basically said that

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We need a whistleblower, someone on the inside to press a religious discrimination lawsuit against Easterby and/or McNair. The fallback will be too much for Goodell and he will try to oust McNair as an owner. Does our former PR director know anything about why she was fired? We need her to spill the beans.

3Rings, mario_v and BossHogg713 like this.