1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Watson can be a star winning anywhere, he can be a bigger star winning in NY and that is just the reality of it all.

I understand your point, but winning in a city like NY will bring additional attention. I don't know that Watson wants that. Some people do and some do not.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree it was carefully crafted. My BELIEF is that he was already thinking about an exit strategy. Unless you think Cal is just straight up lying, he claims he did try to reach out to Watson (who was on vacation) and Watson didn't return his calls.

I think Cal is...simple minded...but I don't think there's any reason to think he's a malicious liar. He seemed truly dumbfounded about the reaction from Watson's camp about the GM hire. And by all accounts has been falling all over himself since then to make up with Watson and getting rebuffed. Forget how you feel about the Texans and just read that situation and ask yourself: Does it make more sense that Watson was on board and then was outraged by a GM hire? Or that he was already wanting out and was waiting for the right moment to start the process.

JoeBarelyCares and Nook like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

The McNair's are essentially running a family business. They also are hiring people that they are "comfortable" with....... and that happens to be people that act and sound a particular way. The Texans are not overtly racist. They are mostly out of touch.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

You just sparked my brain.

has anyone noticed this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Htown Legend, Two Sandwiches and Nook like this.
  5. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Cal's head was made for a ten gallon hat

JoeBarelyCares and DonkeyMagic like this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Eli Manning won in NY and was never a bigger star than his brother, who played in Indianapolis. So I reject your premise. It's certainly true in baseball - and *may* be true in basketball but the NBA has been so irrelevant in NY for so long, who knows?

But in the NFL, only two things matter: being great and winning. Location does not.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Naw, I think you're reaching here. I can't speak for Watson but I was extremely put off by the condescending actions of Cal when he summarily dismissed the opinions of Watson - opinions he had previously asked for DeShaun to provide. You're Watson and you just literally balled your ass off (for nothing it appears) playing with the wreckage left behind by Cal's guy BoB. All you wanted to see is that this owner and organization actually has a ****ing clue as to how to build a football organization capable of winning. Instead, you see Cal and Easterby doing whatever God is whispering into Easterby's ear. You look at JJ who has given everything for this organization only to end up in football purgatory and you realize that could very well be you in 5 years. You look at the AFC playoffs and see Lamar, Josh and Patrick - your peers - still playing. Now you tell me: Just how would YOU feel?

DVauthrin, Verbal Christ and J.R. like this.
  8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You're misinterpreting the post. Poster was saying Frazier would get canned after 2 years knowing how the Texans operate. I was responding that its the opposite and Texans actually hold onto guys maybe too long. Nothing to do with how the initial hires was perceived.

#1368 gucci888, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  9. Major

Major Member

The GM hire was the symptom. Watson made it pretty clear publicly after the last game that he felt the team has no leadership and no direction and that needed to change: likely referring to personnel, philosophy, everything. Then it seems everyone agrees he was in contact with ownership after that - presumably about all of his concerns, with GM being one of them. There have been numerous mentions that Watson seemed to be speaking for many players as well - others that don't have the clout he did, and some of JJ Watt's comments seem to suggest they are on the same page. He and the owner set up a plan - to involve Watson, who was relaying names on behalf of the players, in the process. So at that point, Watson's giving this a chance to play out.

So what is the first impactful thing that happens? The owner + Jack ignore the names they provide, and go hire one of Jack's buddies. That's the point where Watson realizes this is all more of the same crap, and he's done. The GM hire itself was not the issue - it was that it was the final straw of evidence that Cal just didn't get it and was going to do the same ol' same ol' in how he's running the organization.

What is so unrealistic about this?

Roc Paint, DVauthrin and Nook like this.
  10. justtxyank

There is zero reason to believe Cal "dismissed the opinions of Watson." Zero.

Now the rest of your post I think is perfectly plausible as to why Watson ended the season frustrated and decided he might want out. Like I said.

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

13. justtxyank

That's plausible sure. I'd ask again why there are no names of guys they wanted interviewed for GM that have leaked when there are for coaches? McClain and Wilson both said that Watson never talked about GMs with them, just coaching names.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Amen. Especially when Watson is under contract for 5 years.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. Major

Major Member

There may not have been names on the GM side. Maybe it was about the process - like hiring a search firm to find the best candidates so the team chaplain isn't making decisions for Cal based on Jack's best interests. What is Watson supposed to think if Cal says "we are going to do this right, get a search firm to find the best GM, etc" and then Watson hears that Cal didn't pick the top names the search firm recommended but instead flew to New England with Jack to go pick up their new GM that everyone reported was largely Jack's influence? If you're Watson, what makes you think anything is going to change in how the organization is run at the top?

(To be clear - I'm just speculating with all of this. But to me, it makes perfect sense that Cal's actions after the season ended would have pissed off Watson to the point of no return. Just look at fans' initial reactions to the Caserio hiring - it was universally condemned as Jack's stupidity, regardless of how good or bad a GM he may actually be).

3Rings and Nook like this.
  16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ok that makes more sense. Personally I think it's complete BS though. Just don't believe that Cal discussed the GM hire with DW4, came away with the impression that he didn't want/need to be updated but voluntarily tried to do so anyways. This is direct contraction to what Schefter reported on the whole Khan deal and what Aaron Wilson reported just 5 days ago. Done giving Cal the benefit of the doubt with how he has been running the franchise the last 3 years.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm all for roasting that imbecile, but the situations are honestly night and die. Cal could come out right now and say, "Watson will be here in 2021. We're not idiots." But then you absolutely know that Schefter would come out with a report within the hour that says, "Watson prepared to sit out 2021 season." Rodgers is not waist-deep in a controversy right now.

18. Mashing

Mashing Member

The word you are looking for is slander. Schefter saying false things can lead to him getting sued by the Texans and that would be extremely devastating to his career and reputation (which is ironically what slander causes to the victim). I don't believe Schefter is slandering the Texans (he'd be a fool to do so) but he better be ready to back up his articles with facts.

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Let him sit. Hit him in his pockets. This is the last draft that's been jacked up by Billy Bob and Caserio can build the team after that. The whole draft situation has been overblown to a degree because you could easily miss with the first two picks of your draft. How about you get the draft picks you have correct? Bring in a top cap guy and start cutting the fat on this roster. There is a ton of overpaid guys on this team. Cut them & start a youth movement. After a year the cap situation should get better if properly managed. If Deshaun sits, he sits. Take a stand. He's still under contract for 4 more years after that. CAL NEEDS TO BOSS UP!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. Major

Major Member

What was the borderline tampering? From going back to what you quoted and backwards from there, it seems y'all are talking about some tweets where Schefter literally retweeted a Houston Chronicle article?