1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...tson-bothered-team-hiring-process-sources-say

This pretty clearly came from someone very close to Watson. It goes into pretty extreme detail.

Now I agree with you that he has not publicly come out and said "I am mad about X,Y,Z" but that does not seem to be how this stuff is handled anymore. We saw with Harden, he never publicly admitted he asked for a trade. When he finally loosely alluded to it, he was gone less than 18 hours later.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Schefter is such a douche clown

Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Do you follow McClain on twitter? You should go read his stuff during games. I'm not going to pretend he is a hard hitting reporter, but idea that he is a cheerleader for ownership is wrong in my opinion. I think he's even said "who could blame him" about Watson having questions about the Texans organization.

I think he is RIGHT here though that it isn't clear at all what Deshaun wants.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right, I don’t get the link to those teams.
    That’s the main reason I don’t think it’s racism, political or anything like that. Most owners have conservative politics.
    I think he just doesn’t want to be here because of incompetence at the top and his want to be in a more high profile city.

treyk3 likes this.
  5. justtxyank

Here's the problem with this early article. There were later stories that said he supposed the Pittsburgh guy that fans wrote up fiction about the Texans being on the verge of inking his contract when Cal prayed with Easterby. There have been no names that Watson allegedly wanted them to interview for the GM job. I wonder why? We have coach names that he allegedly wanted.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nah Texans are too loyal if anything. Capers got 4 full seasons, all

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Honestly? It's borderline tampering, isn't it? The NFL certainly can't police fans that want to run wild with it - but if I'm the Texans - well, if *I* were the Texans, none of this would've ever happened - but.... I would be PISSED that one of the NFL's biggest mouthpieces is fueling this. It's unprofessional. Adam Schefter is a journalist. This is not journalism.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. justtxyank

@Nook this post is specifically for you so we don't go back and forth responding to posts and can't keep up with each other.

My overall believe here is that what's happening with Watson just so closely mirrors the usual playbook for these things when a player wants to go somewhere else. There are constant stories that come out about what the player is unhappy about, but they often contradict each other. But what they do 100% of the time is target ownership. In every situation. Why? Because ownership is always the easiest target.

The GM search thing makes no sense. I'm sorry, it just doesn't.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, it’s irresponsible clickbait journalism and the victims are Houston sports fans.
    Fairly common theme recently

treyk3 likes this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Are you close with someone at the Texans?

You keep going to bat for them.

It's absolutely clear that Easterby is controlling a billionaire under the facade of Christianity and it's quite funny. Maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen in sports history. Unless you have people that were in the room you cannot convince me that they didn't pray together to accept Caserio as their rightful GM.

It's also illegal to discriminate hiring based on race, religion or gender. Don't act like only hiring Christians is something that is not only acceptable but legal.

J.R. likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

The grass is always greener on the other side.

It is also possible that he believes any ownership is better than what he has dealt with (which is debatable).

The Dolphins are coming off a 10-6 season and have lots of talented players, and a lot of people like Flores.

As for the Jets, it could be as you speculated, that he wants to be a major star in NY. Let's be honest, if he lead the Jets deep into the playoffs and played well he would be a huge star.

justtxyank and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think they’re incompetent, but I don’t think they’re dumb enough to risk losing a franchise for discrimination.
    I don’t think they’re hiring anyone based solely on religion.
    Maybe that’s just me thinking there’s no way someone at that level in life could be that stupid. I could be wrong.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

While true, neither of those teams have been more successful than the Texans since inception. I just think Watson is being inconsistent if those are two of the teams he wants.

14. justtxyank

There is this weird rewriting of history with the Texans.

Capers was a ho hum hire but was respected at the time. He interviewed for lots of jobs and was a previous coach of the year. Texans moved on after 4 years which was reasonable.

Gary Kubiak was considered a great hire. Teams had been trying to poach him for years from Denver (including Houston for the first hire.) His fatal mistake was not building out a good staff on defense. He was given 7+ seasons.

Obrien was considered a great hire. He was in demand. He was a HOT name that cycle. He was 6+ seasons.

If the Texans hire Frazier and you feel like it's a retread, bad hire that's fine, but that's not the NORM here in Houston.

15. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Can we stop calling him pancakes? I like pancakes...how about Crisco, or diabetes...

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. justtxyank

No and lol.

Dude I've been negative on the Texans longer than most here. I think ownership is incompetent. I think Bill Obrien was destroying this team for years and nobody cared because they kept falling into a winning record.

I think Deshaun thinking Cal is an idiot and will never win a title is a perfectly believable position.

Yeah it is illegal. I didn't defend it. I think it's ridiculous. I believe it 100% is why Robert Saleh didn't get an interview here and that's something people should be talking about instead of race.

cmoak1982 and treyk3 like this.
  17. justtxyank

If memory serves this nickname came from him eating pancakes at the practice a few years ago instead of watching?

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

We really need to stop this "New York star" bullshit, at least in the NFL. The biggest star in the league plays in Kansas City; the second biggest in Tampa Bay*. The third biggest in Green Bay. The face of the league, for, like, DECADES, played in Indianapolis. Hell, being in Houston has not curbed JJ Watt's marketability one bit.

If he wants to be a star: win. That's what matters. Not location.

(* I know Tom Brady was East Coast royalty for 9,000 years - point is: moving to Florida did not diminish his star at all. Win - and be great - in the NFL and you will be a star.)

primtim24 and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don't think this hire has anything to do with race.

In fact, I think the Texans are going to hire a black candidate to look like good guys.

As long as that candidate is a God Fearing Man that is.

It's bizarre how obsessed with Christianity this organization is, yet refuses to allow people with checkered pasts an opportunity. Isn't that like the biggest tenent? Only God judges? Yet Christians love to be holier than thou. I really hope EB is the guy, I will feel more comfortable with the Franchise going forward. Just based on the fact that the organization would be hiring a guy who has made mistakes.

Kubiak and Rick Smith were church buddies with the McNair family. They need to realize this isn't Angels in the Outfield 2 : Angels in the Endzone. This is real life where people of all sorts of backgrounds can be the best candidate.

J.R. and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

That doesn't make the article any more or less likely to be true. I have no inside connections to the Texans so from my end it is all speculation. I just find the timing of that article (and the comments made by the reporter were very specific) and how carefully it was crafted, that it came from someone that represents Watson. Even the use of "he didn't want to pick the GM" parts were done to keep people from turning on Watson.

At the end of the day, I don't know what is going on anymore than anyone else when it comes to the Texans.