1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harriet Tubman to replace Andrew Jackson on $20 bill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Apr 20, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

that's not the same as saying merchants always passed the fees onto the consumer ... for *every* sale.

you don't have to defend your choices by saying something always happened. It's ok to say you don't mind merchants slowly switching their pricing over time to pack bank transaction fees into all sales.

I figured your statement about not carrying a wallet for 4yrs wasn't really true ... just semantics. So you definitely pay at the pump then with cards?

I was fascinated though, if it was true. And am interested in whether iGen rely solely on phones.

2. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i'm guessing black folks are jumping for joy on this one?

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That whole statement is weird. Who even buys things at a corner store other than gas? I haven't been in to a corner store in years. It smacks of lack of planning.

Good tip on the counting cash. I can just see the sales guy or rental owner licking their chops. Probably works better at small mom and pop places where they can pocket the cash and not claim income or pay hotel tax. I will use this in the future.

I don't use cash at gas stations. That listed price with the tiny 'cash price' disclaimer under it pisses me off so I don't patronize those places, which I find to have higher prices in general than Sam's or Kroger, the two places I get gas. And the ability to pay at the pump and go is worth no discount for me. I drive maybe 30 miles a week so it might change if I drove ~100 a day. On the other hand, standing in line, wasting time and also being in close contact with COVID carriers would probably negate that for me.

Personally, I make thousands a year on credit card cash back. That's not taxable income since it's considered a discount by the IRS.

I carry a money clip with card slots: essentially a wallet. It behooves me to carry ~10 or so cards to maximize my cash back. I frequently don't have cash because I just don't use it. And if I have it, it ends up going to my wife and kids.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The convenience of a "convenience store" "smacks of lack of planning"

[​IMG]

:)

5. Buck Turgidson

If I repeatedly like & unlike this post, do you get multiple likes or just 1?

Beer and the occasional snack while going from place to place does not smack of lack of planning. It smacks of "I don't want to go out of my way and go in HEB for this ****." Plus I drive by an Exxon most every morning and/or afternoon that's an awesome taco spot, when tacos are required.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Now you’re talking about a cooked meal, which makes it a food place, not a convenience store.

This thread is literally about money. ‘Convenience’ store are expensive. Why not just take a snack with you? Do you really need beer that badly that you can’t wait to get home? It’s not like it’s legal to drink in the car anyway.

7. Xerobull

Good point. They should call them ‘lazy stores’

8. droxford

droxford Member

The entire vending machine industry uses cash, as well as laundromats. Low income people use cash. Illiberal aliens. People who don't want to be counted, tracked, or known. Off-grid people.... There's still a large use for cash in our society.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I worked some of the BP oil spill compensation centers in Louisiana. The entire Louisiana gulf coast is cash based. Nobody uses checks or cards and nobody pays any taxes. To get BP oil spill money, residents and businesses had to provide 2 years of tax returns so their payout could be calculated. Two things happened...tax companies set up shops in town near the compensation centers to do taxes for everybody because nobody had ever done taxes. The next thing that happened is the IRS set up shop and started chasing down people for back taxes. A huge amount of people that got compensation checks basically handed them right over to the IRS.

So next time you file your tax return, you can feel great knowing that entire populations on the Gulf coast pay 0 taxes because they are all cash based.

jiggyfly, Blake and Xerobull like this.
  10. Xerobull

Most vending machines I see these days have a CC reader.

Low income folks are huge on Cash App. I take rent from a few of my tenants this way.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

where do you buy your lotto tickets and 25oz beers? Huh Mr. Bezos!?!

jiggyfly and Xerobull like this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Like not getting flood insurance before hurricane season?

13. Xerobull

That’s just plain dumb.

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. droxford

droxford Member

Yes, but just because they do support or use credit cards, doesn't necessarily mean that they don't use cash.

15. droxford

droxford Member

You bring up a good point. Anyone who wants to do business under the table and reduce their tax burden (illegally) uses cash.

16. droxford

droxford Member

I visit the convenience store because I don't want to buy my own Icee machine.

17. KingCheetah

It would behoove you in the future to not forget that important step in maintaining your rental empire.

jiggyfly and Xerobull like this.
  18. KingCheetah

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I love this so much, especially since the $20 is the largest bill a good number of Trumpers will ever see......

DD

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

nobody approves of this more than andrew jacksons ghost.