1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jerryclark, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Harden could come pretty close to Durant offensively in the regular season, sure. I still wouldn't put Harden over Durant in the regular season but it's really close, closer than a lot of casual fans might think.

In the playoffs though it's a totally different story, it's not even remotely close.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I didnt insult you, just being honest man. No one here is shocked that you think Harden is the best. You are biased most of your posts are about that Im not even being rude or mean and I dont hate you for it but it is the truth. I mean you said Durant is only a little bit better than Harden at defense lol and you think Im insulting you by pointing out the clear bias its amazing man. You dont even see it. Do you even understand why people call you a Harden homer?

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Is Durant some amazing defender that we can say is so much better than Harden? Its not like I said Harden was better than Kawhi at defense or something? Did you not think Harden's defensive performance in the bubble last year was pretty good? I thought so, I thought he was pretty excellent. He can be a really good defender when he tries. Durant's length helps him out a lot though and he can be used as a rim protector sometimes as well. But I dont think its such a big gap that Harden's playmaking on offense cant cover? Is that illogical?

There are arguments out there for guys like Curry and Lebron being better than Harden that I definitely get. Lebron is undoubtedly the best player. Even right now though the dude playing like best offensive player in the NBA might be Jokic. But I just think with Harden and Durant, Harden's elite playmaking is what really separates them imo.

#1143 HP3, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

How stupid of harden to take this shot!? So inefficient.
    Would it be so hard to just take a step or two back and shoot the 3? this only confirms hes become fatter and even more lazy
    tsk tsk tsk smh

BamBam likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

people stay overrating KD offensively in the playoffs

KD in OKC: 28.8 ppg on 57.5% TS

Harden in Houston: 28.4 ppg on 57.8% TS

Harden also averaged double the assists

KD’s drop in efficiency from the regular season to the postseason was even higher than Harden’s...

it was only in GS where the team was so unbelievably stacked that KD became this unstoppable beast in the postseason...

James.B.H, HP3, glynch and 11 others like this.
  6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Don't do that bro. Don't hit people with facts.

They don't like facts when it challenges their ingrained beliefs.

HP3, jerryclark, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If you are talking purely about scoring for yourself, few players ever are as gifted as Durant. But if you are talking about scoring with playmaking. Harden is better than Durant. All the numbers say so. No one generates as much offense for the team as Harden. Few have ever.

HP3, jiggyfly and vator like this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep easier to score in the playoffs when you play with 1 other legit superstar in their prime and multiple allstars

HP3, MettaWorldPete and vator like this.
  9. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Harden's putting up prime Chris Paul numbers right now with 24/11/6 lol.

I see him starting to get more aggressive as his fitness increases and his scoring will come back up.

HP3 likes this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I see the big 3 averaging 25 to 28 at the end of the season

and if ever Kyrie gets traded Harden and KD will average 30 to 34

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

And he looks like he's not even trying for 3 quarters. That is how good he is.

HP3 and vator like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Harden loves that super star money but wants to take to take it easy and put up a basic stars stats.

14. vator

vator Contributing Member

These plays are a perfect example of why I don't understand people's insistence that Harden needs to learn how to run around in a motion offense for 48 minutes. You don't trade everything to bring James Harden in to play like Andre Miller. Dude is a whole offense all by himself. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I'm not against variance. There certainly needs to be some motion to keep everybody else engaged and keep the defense on its toes. You don't want to be predictable all game because that catches up to you in the playoffs and they have the players to run whatever offense they want, but Harden has shown that he can play like this with tremendous success along with another guy (CP3 the first year, not the 2nd year) to give him a few possessions off and to keep things going when he sat on the bench.

Not many players in the league can do what he can do all by himself in regards to scoring AND playmaking. Lebron, Harden, and who else? Spread the floor for him and he will single-handedly either get a good shot for himself or wide-open catch and shoot opportunities for your shooters and when you have Durant, Kyrie, and Joe Harris spotting up at over 40% from 3, why wouldn't you want that? It's like they want to run all these actions just to get shots that are more contested. I've been surprised at how many difficult and contested shots Kyrie and Durant take every game. They can make them for sure, but why not let Harden get you a wide-open shot, or when the defense closes you out take a few steps in for the wide-open midrange or a drive to the basket? It really can be that simple.

The bottom line is they need to spread the floor and encourage him to iso more. It doesn't need to be the foundation of their offense like it was for us, but it needs to a "play" that they run more often just for him. Same as GSW would run Curry off a bunch of screens because that is what he did best or how they run certain things for Durant. Play to the strengths of your available talent.

#1154 vator, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Wulaw Horn, HP3, jerryclark and 4 others like this.
  15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You could also argue that Harden was allowed to be more selective with his shots because he was always surrounded by plus shooters. In OKC, Durant wasn't.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

lmao, what a joke

More selective with his shots? When his issue in Houston was always having to do much and carry a heavy burden? Yeah, no...

HP3 and jiggyfly like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thanks for posting those KD in OKC numbers...I was just going to do it, too. His last year was especially horrendous.

as for GSW years, note also, Durant's tendency to disappear in the 4th Q was still evident.

Check out his 4th Q numbers in 2017-18 over those 19 games. Then check out his 4thQ in our 7 game series. We shut him down in the 4th.

francis 4 prez, HP3, ElPigto and 3 others like this.
  18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So you're saying that being surrounded by better shooters HURTS a playmaker's efficiency?

That's the real joke.

19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Those numbers look good if you don't look at context. Like Harden when he gives up and lets his man blow by him on defense. He'll put up good numbers then disapear. I'm actually shocked people put this much effort in defending him this much. But hey I guess we'll see what happens this offseason. No excuses with all this talent and no ring I dont wanna hear its not Harden's fault this year.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, because defenses were so concerned with our bricklayers as they loaded up on Harden and threw everything at him, and they allowed Harden to be so selective with his shots

u sound stupid right now

next

Air Canada and jiggyfly like this.