1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blue Jays land outfield slugger George Springer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think players aren't willing to sacrifice much in base salary for hard to earn incentives.

Off topic as this is a different type of incentive, but I remember a running back talking about incentives, "I get paid more for 1,000 yard rushing seasons. Down by 6 late and me short on some yards, I'm turning up field to secure my money instead of running out of bounds to stop the clock". Pay structure in sports is weird. Not sure if NFL still allows that type of incentive. Not even sure if running out of bounds still stops the clock.

#41 Joe Joe, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  2. Major

Major Member

This happened a couple of times in the NFL week 17 this year. In the Saints' last game, Brees threw a pass to Emmanuel Sanders specifically to get him a $500k bonus. I think there was another team that ran a play when they could have kneeled to help get someone a bonus as well.

Teams need to better understand linking incentives with team goals. If I were an MLB team, I'd just have an automatic $200k bonus or something in every player's contract if they win the World Series. Basically, you pay out $5MM to your players if you win the World Series - seems like a good tradeoff and incentivizes everyone to be on the same page.

Joe Joe and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Love those guys, love the city, love the fans. Got an opportunity to play, to grow as a man, as a player. Thankful for that.

How much did you talk with Mike?

Talk to Mike as a friend every day. Not my business to ask him all that stuff. I was hopeful but I’m happy for him.

#43 J.R., Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Agents and players don't value those that high because they are mostly out of their control, so you'd mostly just be giving away money you didn't have to. Keep in mind they already get paid extra for making the playoffs and each time they advance.

Major likes this.
  5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

He gone...

6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

TWS1986 likes this.
  8. vince

vince Member

Good for Springer. That contract scares me as a fan, but I'm glad for Springer. I think Springer can legitimately turn into a Hall of Fame'er, but he's still got to perform at an extremely high level for the next 7-10 years. He's not a head and shoulder guy MVP over his peers, but he's solid!

He's a vastly talented, but streaky as they come. When he's hot he hot, and when he's not he's not......

I'm glad he was a part of the engine that made the Astros Core of the golden age go, go, go!!!!

Pringles likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Blue Jays are at the Twins in his weekend and ran into some Blue Jays fans last night. One was wearing a Springer jersey. It’s the first time I’ve see one in person and it felt weird.

Talking to the fan she said she loved Springer and that 2017 Astro team. Another Jays fan though said he hadn’t forgiven that team and that Springer was a cheater even though he’s now in the Jays.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

11. Major

Major Member

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Came in here thinking there was a Springer back to the Stros rumor. Damn