1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hes referencing the fans of ufc and the Porier fight. When I first saw it I was like damn, this dude is gone. lelz.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

6th all-time Post Season RBIs and only 10 behind Jeter with almost 500 less at bats. Highest RBI rate of anyone in the top 10.

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

That’s what I like to hear.

DVauthrin and J.R. like this.
  7. WiltTheStilt13

Hopefully, never been impressed with Correa! Also kind of pissed he skipped out on the white house visit to the great emperor Blumpf!!!

8. msn

msn Member

Can anyone post the Houston Chronicle article? I understand the whole paywall thing, but I can't pay all these subscriptions all over the place!

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Carlos Correa has stated privately what he already told a large radio audience: he wants to remain with the Astros past 2021.

“It’s something that Carlos has expressed to me personally,” Astros general manager James Click said on Monday. “It is a conversation that we are having. I don’t want to get too far into it. We’re obviously very open to it.”

Appearing on the team’s radio show last week, Correa claimed he “would love to be an Astro for life.” The 26-year-old shortstop is set to enter free agency following the 2021 season.

Earlier this month, Click acknowledged that the two sides had spoken about an extension, but put those discussions on the back-burner to address Correa’s 2021 salary. The two parties could not come to an agreement and will face off in an arbitration hearing next month.

Click did not say whether he’d like to further the conversations during spring training. In the last four years, the Astros have handed out contract extensions during spring training to Justin Verlander, Alex Bregman, Ryan Pressly and José Altuve.

Correa’s deal may eclipse all of them. He possesses superstar potential and, as a 27-year-old free agent, could command a six or seven-year deal. Correa, the 2015 American League Rookie of the Year, has an .833 career OPS and 107 home runs. He was a Gold Glove finalist last season, too, while transforming into the team’s unquestioned leader.

“Everything he brings on the field as a player and a leader, as a shortstop, that’s something that has been a real key part of the success of this franchise for a long time,” Click said. “Hopefully we can have some productive conversations.”

DVauthrin, mikol13 and msn like this.
  10. Newlin

Newlin Member

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

You're open to it?

I mean cool dude.

Can Click stop running his ****ing mouth and just do his job? I'm extremely skeptical of this penny-pincher to begin with. At least he re-signed Brantley.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Everyone likes to buy high and sell low. Many that want the Astros to sign him also wanted to trade him whenever he's on the IR. That being said Correa became my favorite player last season with the way he stood up for the team and became a leader.

[​IMG]

Besides last years shorten season his only full healthy season was back in 2016. This production does not deserve a long term/high paying contract. I can see the length of the contract being a roadblock in negotiations, but the Astros can't go longer than a 5-6 year deal.

13. msn

msn Member

Thanks, J.R.

J.R. likes this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Correa really should be an Astro for life.

whiskeyred, DVauthrin and Chilly_Pete like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To me, the only real concerning injury was the back in 2018... there wasn’t a specific play where it happened, he rested, he had treatments, and when he was cleared to play again... never was all that effective. That off-season was literally a make/break time where his days of being an elite player were truly numbered in the eyes of many, and people were ready to dump him for .10 on the dollar despite having 3 additional years of club control left.

Then he comes in 2019 and actually played the best baseball his career... till he did something stupid and had the rib fracture. Not making much either way of the 2020 regular season numbers... but his improved defense and playoff performance does deserve accolades, which he’s pretty much universally received. And while it doesn’t really matter in terms of contract negotiations, being the vocal leader of this team in the aftermath of the scandal... while guys like Altuve, Springer, and Bregman seemingly tried to stay away from all of it... and then he backs it up by shining on the playoff stage, says something.

Thus, even though we’re already at year 7 of the Carlos Correa extravaganza... there’s still a feeling from many that his best years and best baseball are ahead of him, not behind him. It’s not worth $200 or $300 million automatically... hell, no baseball player is truly worth that.... but he’s also not simply a role player out there cashing a check. Can he stay away from doing something stupid and replicating 2019-2020 playoffs for a full-season+, presuming the back issues of 3 years ago are completely resolved?

The Real Shady and BigM like this.
  16. elrond

elrond Member

So I guess the question is, how much is Correa worth? Around 25 mil/year like Springer? More? Less?

I think we're all a bit surprised to see all the news coming out about Correa interested in being an Astros for life, since I think most thought he was pretty much guaranteed to leave. Not sure whether it's due to the injury history, pressure from family, enjoyment playing the heel, or some other factor that has caused a change of heart, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

On a side note, a bit surprised to see Brantley's interview comments about Jim Crane being one of the key reasons he resigned with the 'stros.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Correa's one mediocre season away from not even being able to earn 100 million this winter, which would have been unfathomable 2 years ago. At this point buttering up the local fan base is the smart play. Ownership has already let 2 stars walk, and while not technically Astros related, the situation with Harden and Watson plays into it. It seems to be working, because his performance the last 3 seasons simply hasn't warranted what some fans here seem to be willing to pay.

His healthy upside is absolutely absurd, so he could probably still make 250 million with one huge season. But the super contract is no longer assured, so putting some public pressure on ownership to protect his downside is a smart play from his agent. The "can't lose Correa" mindset is picking up steam.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  18. CinematicFusion

My take: Correa will sign a 25-30 million dollar a year deal over 10 years at some point between now and free agency if he signs now or stays healthy next year.
    He stays healthy and has a 2019 full season. He will get 30 a year.
    He gets hurt again and he will get a short 2-3 year deal around 20.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I personally felt Houston should trade him if they absolutely know that they have no desire to sign him to a long term deal. I don't believe our farm system is all that bad as others believe it to be but I do feel they need more prospects that are MLB ready like Alvarez. I think its foolish just to get a fourth round pick for him if he signs to another team.

On a side note, I'm glad to hear Correa having interest to be a "Astro for life". The proof is going to be whether or not he is willing to be reasonable on his contract desires. I think there's a lot of risks for both sides but you have to imagine from Correa's perspective he knows this. Too many SS available for next offseason and he would need a monster 2021. That's a lot of pressure for a guy has gotten injured multiple years regardless if they are fluke injuries.

20. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

[QUOTE="CheezeyBoy22, post: 13390338, member: 16207"I think its foolish just to get a fourth round pick for him if he signs to another team.[/QUOTE]
    As it stands now, they would get a pick after the 2nd round, like they did for Cole. The 4th rounder for Springer is because they went over the luxury limit last year if I remember correctly