1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

They really are going to **** this up, aren’t they? David Culley and Leslie Frazier. Good Lord...

I’d love to believe these are assistant candidates....

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

They should just pack up and move to the other side of Tennessee if they trade Watson for Sam Darnold.

awc713 and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

I don't know why all these reports are coming out about it might be Bienemy when then Texans haven't even submitted a request for a second interview.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya don’t see this happening. First it would be an absolute piece of $hit move to deny interview requests for Tim Kelly if true. That wouldn’t surprise me if they did though since the franchise does have a history of screwing people over.

But also the Bills could block the move for Frazier if they really wanted. And I’d definitely be pissed if both sides were coordinating some type of lateral move the week before the AFC championship game. This is all wishful thinking IMO.

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

not only is Buffalo a much better team but apparently the ownership there is treating Frazier very well and has been working to get him a head coach job. No way he’s leaving there to become a DC in what is almost assuredly going to be a bad defense and a bad team which would only hurt his standing

Nook, BigM and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

BYU is a Mormon school right? Mormons are Christian, right? Deshaun to the jets because Easterby wants Wilson to join the new mega church on Kirby. Also, Easterby will be conducting zoom interviews with potential draft picks asking which bible verses they can recite. Dude would probably draft a kicker in the third round if he can properly lead a team bible study session

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Xopher

Xopher Member

I know a lot of us want EB, but a ton of teams have passed on him. Why? Do the Texans hire him in hopes that Watson stays and ignore whatever reasons other teams haven't hired EB? I mean there has to be a reason. At the beginning of the year he was the most highly touted Head coaching candidate.

BigM and raining threes like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If we have to trade Deshaun and can’t get Trevor. Wilson is probably the closest to same skillset.

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Unfortunately, @Whenitsover has been right about quite a few things over the past years (I can’t remember them all) but all of it was negative and depressing stuff. He never brought good news. Just stuff like (BOB is gonna be GM, d-Hop is gone, etc)... sucks. So I just would rather not hear from him lol.

10. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Maybe he's purposely given them the impression that without a franchise qb, he'd rather coach the one he currently has? Next best qb out there? Deshaun. Hands down.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Is there any black coach that hasn’t been put on the short list for Texans head coach? Caldwell and Frazier in particular, yuck. Seems obvious the Texans don’t know what the hell they’re doing and now they’re in panic mode trying to placate Watson with anything they think might work.

12. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Cal is so tone deaf that he probably think Deshaun just wants a black coach. He wanted a culture change, instead he got a “cult” and the organization avoided the top HC candidates based on either religion or someone having legal issues 30 years ago.

Cal chose Easterby. Not only over Deshaun... but over the fanbase, the city, the rest of his team. Cal, your daddy is probably rolling over in his grave. Bob McNair would’ve never allowed an Easterby type of snake nor O’Brien to gain the power they’ve attained.

13. raining threes

Wilson has a Mahomes/Rodgers type arm.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it’s kinda funny but the top 3 QBs in this draft compare to 3 of the good young QBs in the league.
    Trevor-Deshaun
    Wilson-Mahomes
    Fields-Jackson

Obviously, we won’t know for a while if they ever reach comparisons. But the skillset is eerily similar.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Among the "finalists" EB is my choice, BUT - I ended the season on a thought that Watson was so damn good as it was, why not hire a bad ass defensive coach to whip that side into shape FAST (hopefully even in one off season) and have an AVERAGE defense next year to go along with the dynamic QB who has shown he doesn't need star talent around him to be elite.

My guy was Saleh at the end of the year. Texans didnt even think to interview him. Makes you wonder why? Leslie Frazier is a defensive coach too, but I didnt come away very impressed by his stint in Buffalo and as HC in MINN he never fielded an elite defense - it actually regressed each year culminating in his firing in his 3rd year as coach. Interestingly enough the opposite was true in that his offense improved each year. Reading the Viking fans comments about him scares me off - not sure how he has learned anything different and how this time he would be a better coach. He was also not resigned as DC in Tampa Bay

By my own logic I should be running away from EB when he's linked to DCs like Brendan Daly, but that may be the only way to keep D4.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

16. justtxyank

Yeah honestly the staff that these guys hire is my biggest concern. I just genuinely LOATHE the idea of another HC who brings in a bunch of mediocre buddies to fill out important positions.

As for why the Texans didn't even interview Saleh, I think there's a really good chance the Muslim thing is true and the Texans deserve actual criticism for that instead of race.

Nook, BossHogg713 and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Does everyone realize he was with the Texans for 5 years?

primtim24 likes this.
  18. justtxyank

As an assistant, not as a head coach and culture setter. I think the highest position he ever held here was an assistant to a full time coach.

Nook, Htown Legend and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Easterby wasn't here for those 5 years. Kidding, sort of, but the fact that this is even in the realm of possibility shows how this FO is perceived.

20. justtxyank

I don't even think it's a "realm of possibility" thing. I don't think there is any chance that the Texans would hire a Muslim as the head coach. I know a TON of business people like Cal. It's not that they wouldn't hire a Muslim in their organization, but absolutely not to be the head/face of it. How can Cal talk about his faith and the faith of his GM if he hires a Muslim coach?

Nook and BossHogg713 like this.