1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Brantley says "utmost" and Berman writes it as "upmost." smdh

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Would've preferred Jake but either him or Straw are there just to bridge Springer and Leon as Astros CF.

4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Wouldn’t rule out Jake.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Redball (Billy Beane is on Board) won't be buying a share in Fenway (Red Sox ownership's company). Alas, A's are stuck with Beane.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Is it safe to say that if Click announces a Correa extension (something like $200M/7yrs), everyone will deem this offseason a big success?

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would be happy for Correa. I don't know if that would be good or bad for Astros. Short term, I would be happy for the Astros. Long term, I could see myself annoyed in 5 or 6 years with people upset about a backup catcher using up too much of the budget while Correa is possibly injured/ineffective being paid a lot for past glory.

ryan_98 likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn't pay Correa 7/200.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

8/200?

DVauthrin likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Me either. That was kind of my point, the team overpaying an injury prone SS with a LF’s body would be lauded by the vast majority of fans. Unless there are moves other teams have made that we can point to as moves we wish Click had made, his relative inaction so far is probably a good thing. But also based on yesterday’s comments it seems like there may be some momentum on extending Correa.

I’d peg Correas FA value at somewhere between $30M/2yrs (if he suffers a season ending injury or has by far the worst season of his career) and $260M/8yrs (if he stays healthy and wins the MVP). So for me, the Max I’d like to see Houston offer is something like $170M/6yrs to cover 2021-2026. If he wants a longer contract, I’d be willing to tack on $10M/yr for each additional year up thru his age 36 season, which would max it out at $200M/9yrs.

Milos likes this.
  11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I wouldn’t go as far to label it a big success, but it is acceptable considering the circumstances. It was always unlikely that the Astros could afford to sign all of Springer, Correa and Brantley to extensions, so getting two done would be successful in my book. I still want them to bring in competition for Myles Straw in center, either by signing a cheap defensive ace like Jake Marisnick or via trade, and, ideally, they would find a swingman type pitcher that can provide rotation depth in case injury strikes, but can also be a useful long reliever if the rotation is completely healthy.

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

As far as Correa goes, the Astros should have no problem offering him a deal somewhere around 8 years, $200 million. Jose Altuve will be heading into his age-35 season when his current contract ends after the 2024 season, so Correa’s deal would take the place of Altuve’s current contract on the Astros’ payroll at that time. Bregman is also a free agent at the same time, so having Correa under contract guarantees the Astros have an elite player regardless of what happens with Bregman’s free agency. In 2022 and 2023, the Astros have a ton of money coming off the books, so affording three big contracts in the short term shouldn’t be problematic.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It does seem like $200m/7 is a bit of an overpay, but not a crazy offer. I'd rather they sign him at $200/8, which would be 25/year thru his age 34 season. I think Correa pushing extension talks now is a good thing, meaning he really wants to stay here and/or understands the risk factors in playing out the season and testing the market. He has to understand he's not going to be able to extract top dollar coming off his poor (regular season) 2020. I'd be happy at $90m/3 if they can't get something longer term negotiated.

14. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Even if Correa gets the big contract, do you really think he'll get paid all of it? Inflation, nobody in the stands, nobody buying t shirts, jerseys etc...

How many people in the near future will be able to afford baseball? Can't even watch it on TV anymore for free!

#2034 Smacktle, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  15. awc713

awc713 Member

16. Nook

Nook Member

Well this is quite the bargain for the Phillies.

I am surprised no one stepped up with more money. It does make the Springer signing look an overpay.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At that value even if he moves off catcher for a lot of games his bat still mostly covers it, and only paying him through age 34.

I really wish we were in on him if that was the market.

Nook likes this.
  18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

There’s no bargain in spending $115 million on a catcher. I don’t care how great he is at the moment.

I am a huge fan of this move. Let the NL East load up as much as they want.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh I don't know.

He is 29 years old and only has about 650 games catching on his knees over the last 7 years..... he has basically been a 4-4.5 WAR player over the last 4-5 years.

raining threes likes this.
  20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's like all of baseball is aware of how catchers perform in their 30s. And then priced that into their offers.

Snake Diggit likes this.