1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr traded to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jan 21, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would you think that they did not have a strong locker room?

Why do you think this locker room is better?

To me this reads as hopeful and not based in facts, I could see this locker room fracturing pretty quickly if we go on a losing streak.

MrButtocks likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Look here, I am getting you a brand new Harden!
    [​IMG]

BHannes2BHonest, Deuce and Tfor3 like this.
  3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Love. This.

This is what it’s all about. We should all want the best for this young man. Hoping he gets help and is given the life tools he needs to find some happiness.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Who within the Cavs locker room has faced any professional adversity? Not the typical "I had it rough growing up" that is fairly common in the league. Guys who were given the world - and then lost it due to injury or any other number of reasons. I look at Boogie who was on the cusp of life changing money - taken from him due to injury. His path back to the NBA. All the "No's" he heard .. the cuts, the teams who said he was done.

John Wall with his gang ties as a youth and how that continues to add narratives to his career, his same issues with injuries except he CAN give insight into what its like AFTER you get the big pay day - some people get fat and retire. Others continue to allow the fire to burn, until it consumes them in a fervid desire to achieve.

John Lucas and his notorious battles with drugs and alcohol. His EXPERIENCE with guys who are on the ledge - some great stories - some not so great, but all adding a degree of humanity and hope.

KPJ can look around this locker room and see guys who nobody wanted. Afterthoughts, burn outs. Guys who have heard "NO" their entire career. Guys who have heard "YES" their entire career and I feel it just adds an environment conducive to helping out at risk youths.

Fracturing? How? There are no expectations with this team. Actually most everyone expects them to be horrible. A losing streak isnt going to somehow tip the scales and lead to a splintered team - its all house money the rest of the year.

I dont know. I have a soft spot for at risk youth. I've counseled some and had my fair share of issues growing up and environment is the most important aspect to helping a misguided child.

Cleveland wanted KPJ to be a professional and just do his job. Not sure how much they were willing to go beyond that since I haven't read up on the background leading up to his trade other than the outburst, but the adage "it takes a village" is supremely true.

We all owe it to each other to look out for those younger people who have so much to give, but have no direction or positivity in their lives. Sometimes all it takes to help someone make a change is telling them you care.

clos4life, BamBam, ipaman and 2 others like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Andre Drummond

Javale McGee

People where just calling Sexton a bust last year.

K Love during the whole,Lebron thing.

Taurean Prince 3rd team in 2 years.

And I am sure you don't now the back story on the rest of the locker room.

I really don't understand on why you are saying what Cleveland did or not you even admit you don't know how much they tried to help him, yes sometimes that's all it takes and sometimes there is just no getting through which you and others are forgetting.

There are plenty of examples of that in the NBA as well.

Yes it takes a village but it also takes a person willing to let that village help them and we do not even know if our village is better.

Which is really my point.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

so give up on another human being or let him be someone else's problem? what would you chose?

D-rock likes this.
  7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I’m rooting heavy for this kid! Losing your father at such a young age to street violence is hard to overcome on its own, but to also carry his name and constantly be reminded of the murder has to be overwhelming!

None of us here are saints, and a good portion of us can relate to violence/drugs/and doing stupid things that if we’d of been caught we would’ve landed in prison, but thankfully Most of us only have memories and not a rap sheet to go with them!

This kid needs counseling and a whole lot of love and support! You heard how he said that right now is when he most needs his Dad, he’s trying to do good but his inner demons that he’s dealing with are making it hard for him to make right decisions!

I’m not excusing his behavior, but I think he’s far from being a lost cause! Hopefully, him being traded to the Rockets is the best thing that has ever happened to him!

#BeBagwell :confused:

clos4life, D-rock and saleem like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Drummond grew up in Connecticut. Never "struggled" growing up.
    Kevin Love is a nephew to one of the founding members of the Beach Boys - nuff said.
    I like Colin Sexton - being of a similar age and not really having it "tough" like KPJ - not sure how much he would be viewed as a positive influence. Cant find too many quotes from Sexton being supportive.

I just did a really quick "back story" check and Yup .. just as I expected .. nobody had to deal with a murdered father at 4 years old. Not that it is the only glaring "reason" for his mental state - I preach using our own varied life experiences as ammunition to make us stronger and more thankful.

All I know Cleveland gave up on him .. you may see it as he deserved it or whatever, but Im happy to see that the Rockets are willing to give him a shot. Its not over for him. Its a new beginning.

crose likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who has said to give up on him?

Where did you get that from?

I choose to take a chance but I realize it's not as simple as a change of scenery or that we somehow have a locker room better than Cleveland.

Why must your type always go to the extreme?

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

NO ONE has said the Rox only offer a change of scenery. EVERYONE has pointed out that we have Lucas, Wall, Boogie, PJ, and others to help. You pointed out so did Cavs but clearly their leadership had moved on with his locker room treatment. His reaction was wrong but so was the disrespect shown to a professional player.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude you have no idea of what those guys have been through even if their circumstances look good from the outside.

There are parts on Connecticut that are really bad and Drummond was born in the bronx its amazing that you think because he was from Conn he must have had it easy.

Just because you did not have it "tough" does not mean you cannot have a positive influence on somebody and we know Love has battled depression but because he is kin to a Beach Boys he has not struggled.

How many of these guys have been catered to since they were 16 years old just because they were good at basketball he has had people catering to him since he was sophomore in high school.

I really hope he can turn it around but he could just be a knuckle head and will never get it and I am not willing to blame it all on his dad being murdered and because Cleve had a bad environment when we don't know what that environment is.

In my experience it's the people who keep making excuses for somebody like him is the reason he keeps messing up I am betting he has some issues with that.

#651 jiggyfly, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    MrButtocks likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Plenty of people have cited change of scenery, that shows you have not read the thread.

What do you actually know about Wall as a mentor and until Boogie can stop getting techs it shows he is still immature.

Just because we have those guys does not mean he will listen to them, why are these guys better than the last guys?

Stop trying to act like I think he is a lost cause because I don't know that he is I just realize his changes are gonna have to come from within 1st no matter where he is.

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I am hoping Stephen Silas turns Kevin Porter Jr into a Point Guard.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If you're going by similar life experiences then San Antonio during the Tim Duncan era wouldn't have anyone that fit your criteria either. That's a silly criteria to judge a locker room by. Golden State is filled with guys you could say were born with silver spoons in their mouths and they probably have the best development environment in the league.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Well since you are quick to defend the Cleveland Cavaliers attempt at salvaging a career who in that organization is qualified to take KPJ under his wing? Someone with a John Lucas track record of working with guys just like KPJ???

Im not going to demonize KPJ without hearing him talk and give his version of life and how he see's himself in that discussion. It would appear you are trying to paint a brat who cant seem to follow directions without trying to address the underlying cause.

Obviously KPJ didnt have anyone he could relate with on that team, my hope is that will be different here.

If Drummond had it "rough" could you point me to some reference material? The stuff i've pulled up painted a nice Jamaican upbringing with two parents and pretty solid family structure that led to a tope 10 pick in the draft. "American Dream" type stuff.

Not that it matters, but did you have your father involved in your life growing up?

crose and raining threes like this.
  16. raining threes

I wish I could say this about #bewell.

I cant because he was never serious about playing in the NBA and was stealing money.

Nothing wrong with taking a flier on a talented guy like KPJ. Hopefully it works out.

#656 raining threes, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    D-rock and Nook like this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Did San Antonio have a misguided youth who needed someone to pull him to the side and start him from the basics of "how to be a man" ?? Im pretty sure Pop would have been THAT guy for the team, but again they never had "issues" in that locker room other than Tony Parker screwing other dudes wives.

Who was the KPJ example on the GS teams that was "saved" by the strength of the locker room? Seems like just more spoiled BBALL brats who got by on daddy's name - very similar to the Cavs team.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Do we have a KPJ type that was saved by our locker room?

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Who knows? Its still early.

We know for a fact SA didn't have one.

Any other privileged teams you want to reference in this instance?

Did you have a father growing up?

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Come on man I am not really defending anybody and I never said he will not get his **** together in Houston.

My entire point is that you are really quick TO BLAME Cleve when you have no idea of what they tried or how those guys tried to work with him.

And it's especially troubling that you have no idea of what those guys went through growing up and just because you have surface knowledge of their family life they could not possibly understand or help KPJ.

My entire point is that you have no idea what his real issues are yet you are quick to blame everybody else . and you don't acknowledge the privilege he has had as being a basketball prodigy.

No I did not grow up with a father have not seen or heard from him in 40 years so what's your point? I can give you examples of kids who have fathers in their lives and still can't figure it out and I can show you an example like Lebron.

How is it obvious he did not have anybody he could relate to?

How is anything obvious about any of this do you know the background and circumstances on everybody on that team?

How do you know he can relate to anybody in Houston?