1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya it does seem like the large media markets that have the most influence on networks like ESPN are really trying to push this. It's the only rational explanation for people pegging the Jets as a favorite destination for Watson.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Arian Foster says Texans should bend to the will of QB Deshaun Watson

“If I’m the organization, I bend to his will,” Foster said. “There’s no way you don’t. He’s a generational quarterback. You never had a quarterback like him. You’re not going to have a quarterback like him in the next who knows how many decades. You bend to his will. What do you need to keep you here? What would keep you here? What do you want? What do you need?”

The former All-Pro running back, who spent 2009-15 with the Texans, wasn’t throwing unprecedented ideas around. According to Foster, the Indianapolis Colts allowed quarterback Peyton Manning to have similar type of influence.

“I remember when Peyton Manning was with the Colts,” said Foster. “He was in the draft room. He had that much pull because that was his squad. You’re not going without Peyton. And, so, if you have that kind of generational talent, get him involved. What do you think this team needs?”

The 2010 NFL rushing champion opined that one of the problems with the NFL is ownership and front office personnel “have so much egos.”

Foster also took issue with the trade scenarios floating about, pointing out that no draft compensation could be high enough to account for losing a franchise cornerstone, especially at the most significant position in the sport.

Said Foster: “I heard recently he’s worth three first-rounders. Like, dog, you can have five first-round picks and you’re not going to get a talented quarterback like that. You can have a first-round pick every year for the next 10 years and you’re not going to get a talented quarterback like that. Maybe, but you already have one. So, why not invest in this one? It don’t make no sense.”

Arian Foster: Texans 'don't give a f–k' about how players feel

"I do know that the organization had their troubles bringing in free agents, which I never really understood," Foster said on The Gems and Juice Podcast. "They have their struggles in communicating with players. I've always thought this about the NFL in general, but my experience with Houston is that they really didn't give a f--k about how you felt and what you said. It was like 'you do what we say.' And that's another variable as to why I was like disassociated from the wins and losses s--t. It was like, ya'll don't give a f--k about my input. Maybe three coaches - tops - played at that level, [the others] just [have] been around the game. And so how the f--k can you not have input from people doing it at a high level, who are in it? I never understood that s--t. And so once you realize that you're just a chess piece, then for me, it was just like, 'alright, I'm just going to do what I can...I'm gonna play hard...do my thing...take care of my dues...but I'm here for a purpose.'"

Nook, coachbadlee, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Retire this man’s jersey.

Scarface281, gatsby, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with some of this.
    But just because you played at a high level, doesn’t mean you have the knowledge or ability to get a team to that level. There are more instances of elite guys failing at team organization than succeeding:

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

Yes but outside the GM, is there a single soul at the executive and ownership level that knows more about the game of football than Watson? Does Mcnair and the preacher know more about making a contending football team than Watson?

Who are the subject matter experts here at the ownership and executive level? Caserio sure but outside of him? Anyone?

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s also assuming Watson knows, just because he’s talented at playing football doesn’t mean he’s talented at building a sustainable winning team.
    Cal and the charlatan sure don’t. At least when Bob was alive you knew he was good at business, can’t say that about Cal.

8. fchowd0311

The least friendly take on Watson's football iq still is better than Easterby. He's an elite qb who reads NFL defensive coverages for a living.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree lol, Charlatan and Cal are idiots.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

Blaming the fans ourselves for the Texans sucking is a level of cucking I didn’t previously think possible. Hell, let’s also blame the NFL itself for even granting Houston the franchise!

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

hot take of mine ... I actually think BOB wasn’t a bad head coach . The production he got out of some journeymen and Watson in his first year make me think he’s actually a good coach ... he just has limits . Maybe he shouldn’t have been a head coach , or maybe he just needed the right coordinators around him .

he definitely shouldn’t have been the GM .

the “collaborative process” that most organizations have between front office and coaching broke down . It’s been broken for a while . Imagine if Kubiak was forced to hire a better D coordinator before wade phillips .

Our main issue is poor ownership . They can’t solve the structural problems and put the right people in place . When they do , they back off too much and give one guy too much power .

you can fix bad GM’ing (or get lucky) .. you can fix bad coaching (or get lucky) . I don’t think there’s anyway to fix bad ownership .

unfortunately I think the rockets have the same problem . We even could have gotten lucky with Silas and stone , but we will see how far they can get us if ownership is bad .

3Rings and awc713 like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

ESPN doesn't cover baseball? What?

And look how that turned out...

LOL. You all must think very little of Watson if you think he'll decide where he wants to go based on random people on TV.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Also , it may be counter-intuitive , but if we do end up having to trade Watson I’d want a package with more picks vs just giving us a few firsts (or whatever the value ends up being )

granted we could trade back IN the draft , but that’s harder to do and requires a team wanting to trade up .

if you’re the Texans post Watson you need to take as many shots as possible to find stars on both sides. Give me 4 2’s , 4 3’s and a 4th vs 4 firsts

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He was a coach that took very little risks. Little risk, little reward.

They won weak divisions.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No way. Boat load of 1sts from Jacksonville or Jets or no trade. Don’t give a f**** if Watson says he’ll only take Miami. After this year’s firsts they will be like second picks if they have Watson. Don’t know I even do Jets unless they gave us at least 3 1sts and 2nds over the next 3 years. If we trade Watson, we would really be convinced the Jacksonville or Jets pick will net us a very good to great QB. Lawrence to me is only sure fire bet.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nope, not really. They cover it as much as they cover the NHL, which is barely.

And?

LOL, I've seen ESPN pull this crap a bunch. I've seen them literally fabricate a story about how Zion didn't really want to play for NOP and that he really wanted the New York Market and that he was threatening to go back to college to get what he wants.

All they have to do is sell him on it, that's all they're doing. By getting people on TV every day to tell him his situation is trash and then by suggesting that the Jets would be a great place to go. You say something enough and you have other 'experts' saying stuff enough people tend to believe it.

ESPN has been doing this with players for YEARS. YEARS. People ignoring this are just trying to seem 'Fair' and balanced but are really naive.

Most of the ESPN people are East coast-tristate fans or LA fans and their bias for those teams is obvious to anyone that watches their shows, hell, some of their people come out and say it plain as day.

All this talk about how the "Texans don't care about people" as if other NFL owners do lol, none of these teams give that much of a ____ about the players, they made that all pretty clear in CBA discussions and discussions about BLM, that the Jets, a team that's been to the playoffs like once in 15 years or something is now the perfect fit for Watson is laughable and I think most Houston sports fans see right through it.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep...and guess where they want him to go?

Oh, that's right. LA.

It's some amazing coincidence that whenever there are even whispers that a player is unhappy that ESPN talking heads are always trying to send them to LA or NY.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. conquistador#11

[​IMG]
    It was clear from that fateful Monday exit presser. easterby is the one not loving people in that building ironically he's the bible guy as these things usually go. That pic Rivers chose to stamp on his tweet!

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

To play devil's advocate, there's some precedence here - Rodgers did play college ball at Cal, so there's some ties there. Is it grasping at straws? Yes, but when discussing where Kawhi would go, if he didn't stay in Toronto, the Clippers were a hot destination since he has CA ties.

JayGoogle likes this.