1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

David Shaw should have gotten a look.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Who knows, maybe those storylines influence the Texans to hire a black head coach?

Omihall23 likes this.
  3. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

You conveniently ignore that if it weren't for this public pressure, the Texans probably wouldn't be hiring a black coach.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

there is zero reason to believe that. The first two coaches they reached out to were Marvin Lewis and Jim Caldwell. Cal has apparently leaned heavily on advice from Tony Dungy.

the racism angle is stupid.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

David Shaw doesn't want to leave Stanford.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I believe that you (and all the others here) are missing the point. Watson was upset that EB wasn't initially interviewed because Mahomes recommended him.That plus seeing the vast differences between the KC offense and that of the Texans should have at least warranted a conversation with EB. The fact that EB was a black coach had nothing to do with it. Watson was further POed with the condescending manner Cal treated him during the GM search and Caserio has been scrambling to repair the damage ever since. By his treatment of Watson, Cal opened the door to those others who want to pry Watson away from the Texans and are using the cluster**** here to their advantage. Watson is a generational QB who is looking at this organization and seeing how it wastes the careers of it's players (Andre Johnson, JJ Watt) and the rest of the league knows this and will use this against them (Texans).

Now as for the Texans organization's "racial image" you can thank Bob McNair and the rest of the MAGA NFL owners for their handling the Colin Kapernick situation - a black man who dared to speak up for what he believed and was summarily banished from the league. That's why I'm not buying their PR bullshit about how (now) the NFL cares about social justice. Deadspin has been writing articles about this for quite a while now. Bob showed his true colors with his "inmates running the prison" remark - he considered his black players to be little more than field hands. He believed (as do lot of the posters here) that players - especially black players - are being paid to play football and STFU. So I'm not the least bit surprised when folks on the outside look at the Texans and see a racially intolerant operation. But the problems with the Texans go much deeper than mere racism.

As evidenced by the situation with Easterby, the Texans appear to be more interested in establishing a white, culturally intolerant Christian organization than one focused on producing a winning football operation. To me, they appear to following the aims and beliefs of the SBC which is currently embroiled in it's own racial controversy due to their embrace of Trumpist notions of white male supremacy and people of color. It's why Amy Palcic was "let go" because as a professional white woman she wasn't "submissive" enough for Easterby and Cal. It's why Hopkins was dumped because of his "lifestyle". It's why a qualified coach like Robert Saleh didn't even get a look because he was the wrong color and wrong religious affiliation. Because as we all know winning football operations are all about the "right" religious affiliations...

Given such an environment, I simply don't believe that should Caserio actually hire a black coach, said coach would never receive a fair shake here - especially if his hiring was done to appease Watson. I have sincere doubts as to just how much authority he'd be granted in this operation. Rest assured there would be forces lurking in the background (Easterby) who will be doing all they can to sabotage his efforts in order to satisfy the objectives of their "culture". With the team facing a pretty significant rebuild that could take several years just how long do you believe Cal, Nick and Jack are willing to wait before they see substantial progress - progress as in a deep playoff run? After all, while the Texans are busy establishing their "culture", the other teams in the AFC South will be concentrating on getting better at football.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Why would anyone tell John Lopez anything? For that reason alone we must be hiring Bienemy.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If they hire EB, whatever happens next is ok with me.

I want them to put their mouths where their Christianity schtick is.

Redemption is a huge part of their religion and it would be nice if they acted like the man they worshipped versus using him as an excuse to be closed minded.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We need Eric B. He has a good rep around the league, maybe the greatest, out of all the remaining candidates left. This is huge not only for Watson to want to stay but for free agents to want to sign with us. Otherwise we are a joke organization that FAs want to avoid.

Rudyc281 and BossHogg713 like this.
  11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If it’s Frazier and done to the point where employees/media have been told as the poster said, think there is zero chance it wouldn't haven't been leaked to and been reported by one of the local or national guys. There have been a few saying they think it'll be Frazier but nothing more than that really. This being the last opening with the most talked about candidate still in the running, along with the potential news story of the year (DW4's reaction), guys are clamoring to report this first. Haven't really seen it get there yet.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

The worse thing about this whole situation is this feeling of hopelessness. I am literally watching my team die and there is nothing I can do about it. Cal believes he has a higher calling, he doesn't care about losing money, he doesn't care about losing games, he doesn't care about losing fans.

mario_v likes this.
  13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I don’t know who that guy is but I’ll take his word over John Lopez lol

14. justtxyank

There are two different tracks here:

1) DeShaun Watson's alleged issues with the organization
    2) The media's racial attacks against the Texans

I'm not addressing #1.

#2 is preposterous.

There is absolutely no reason for the Houston Texans to be the poster boy of NFL racism by owners/management. That is my pushback here. Incompetent? Sure. Racist? No.

cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If it's Frazier why not announce it by now?

16. justtxyank

On the reports from John Lopez and company:
    Meh. I think they may end up being right but that's just reading tea leaves. I don't think Lopez has any connections inside the building that are leaking him good info.

Fantasma Negro and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. FEDEXROCKETS13

No news on Frazier is good news right

cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

2-3 weeks = “soon”?

“It might be better to be on a clean slate so you don’t have that hovering over. ... You go there, you have Deshaun, you have a bad season, now you got that lingering over you that you couldn’t pull it all together anyways and this is the guy Deshaun wants. Now you have unnecessary heat on both guys. ... Deshaun is a great talent but because of the tension, I don’t know if it’d be worth it for a brand new head coach and walk right into that fire. ... ”

Rudyc281 and Chilly_Pete like this.
  19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Lopez was well regarded back in the day but things seem to have changed.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. justtxyank

[QUOTE="tmacfor35, post: 13386188, member: 33439"]Lopez was well regarded back in the day but things seem to have changed.[/QUOTE]

That's news to me.

Rudyc281 likes this.