1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It might be time

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 24, 2021.

1. raining threes

No I dont, meaningless stats.

I do hope a bunch of teams think like you do.

How many championships have the Packers won since Rodgers signed his extension? I expect the same thing to happen with Watson.

Agreed about ownership and Cal.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Meaningless stats? That's a arbitrary statement.

I made sure the stats are relevant hence why I concentrated on era adjusted stats because I understand modern qbs have inflated numbers relative to previous generations of qbs.

raining threes likes this.
  3. raining threes

2 of those 3 ints are balls that Evans should've caught or atleast broken up. Yes, Tampa has a very good defense. The truth is Brady came through in the clutch just as he's done in his other 9 times he's reached the SB. That's why he's the Goat and comparing what Brady's done in his career to Watson is laughable.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Easy fix... fire Easterby or force him to resign from his position.

Watson should fill more at ease if that were to happen.

T for 3 and DVauthrin like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

In theory, I get it and don't disagree. But turning a clean slate over to McNair/Easterby/Caserio is not remotely ideal, IMO. I have zero faith in them. I would be all for it with a competent front office. Of course, if we had a competent front office, we wouldn't be in this mess.

joshuaao, 3Rings, Nimo and 2 others like this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't think the offensive line needs personnel help; I think they need coaching help and hopefully that's on the way. The WRs and TEs are not meh, IMO - but even if they are, the elite QB takes them up a notch. I think the journey to a very good offense is a competent coaching hire away. They could use pieces here & there - but I don't believe that side of the ball is dire.

Less bullish on the defense but would welcome a Wade Phillips-type coming in and giving his assessment.

Man, coaching is *just* a difference maker.

Nimo and raining threes like this.
  7. raining threes

Eli used to make an extra 10 million a year in endorsements. Your post doesn't surprise me looking at the current state of New York football. The NYJ have extra 1st,2nd rd draft picks this year and next year so a trade would hurt their chances much at all when it comes to putting a team around Watson. Plus, I think Joe Douglas will end up being a great GM.

We will see when it comes to your last paragraph.

8. fchowd0311

Dude, this is dumb. You can't be this dumb. Brady was carried by elite defenses and elite offensive lines his entire career.

Brady is a all time great and possibly the most accomplished qb of all time but comparing "clutch" ability here is stupid. Watson doesn't have the teams around him where he can make a lot of clutch plays in the playoffs. Brady did.

Just for reference to see how Watson did this season entering the 4th quarter with less than a 7 pt differential (essentially close games in the 4th) here are his stats in those situations:

77% completion rate(wtf level), 10.4 yards per attempt(wtf level), 6tds, 1 int, 132 passer rating(wtf level) and that's with 70 attempts so it's not like fluke numbers on small volume.

FLASH21 likes this.
  9. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

For all the "Let's just rebuild" crowd. No matter how many picks we get, let's just think about one thing: There's not enough 1st round picks in the world to make it worth it to trade Deshaun. From 2013 to 2017 the Texans could've had every 1st round pick in the NFL (160 picks) and they would've only come away with ONE, I repeat ONE QB who was on Deshaun Watson's level. Patrick Mahomes. So if that's the kind of player selection you get over the course of 5 years, and we're only going to get probably 2 years worth of picks, trust me....it won't be worth it.

[​IMG]

joshuaao and Hey Now! like this.
  10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Texans’ problem is Cal McNair, not Deshaun Watson. Tearing things down to the studs isn’t going to help when your owner is clueless how to build a winning organization and trusts an evangelist to help make personnel decisions for the on-field product. All you are doing is kicking these issues a few years down the road. McNair needs to fire Easterby and let Caserio run the football operations. That will help get Watson to buy back in. Hiring Eric Bieniemy would be a great olive branch towards repairing the relationship, too.

11. raining threes

I'll give you a stat

This will be Brady's 10th SB appearance.

Not bad for a guy everybody was calling washed last year. Speaking of last year do you really think Winston would have them where they are today. Why are they there? Because the same talent with Winston was out partying all night. Brady came in and set a new direction and work ethic for that team and look at where they are today. Do you think Watson would be able to do those things or would he be spending his time clubbing or at a BLM protest?

12. mightybosstone

This. The Texans have spent the better part of two decades trying to find a franchise, top 5 caliber QB and they finally have one in Watson. They have completely bungled everything in the last 2-3 years by giving O'Brien GM powers, allowing Easterby to gain control, dealing away Hopkins and now alienating their QB. But you finally have a (hopefully) competent GM in place and can start fresh with a new head coach. Don't double down on your own mistakes by dealing away the one legitimate asset you have on this team right now.

Hire a coaching staff that makes Watson happy. Do everything in your power to mend the relationship with your QB, and surround him with as much talent as you possibly can. Show him you're actually committed to building the team into a contender again and that he has a voice in helping to build that contender. He's locked in through 2025—don't cave at the first sign there's a problem.

Hey Now!, DVauthrin and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. raining threes

Letting Watson run the team would be a rather dumb thing to do.

14. fchowd0311

Is Watson known for clubbing? From what I've heard he is extremely disciplined off the field and relentlessly works on improving himself.

Who the **** is comparing Brady to Winston? What? Yes of course Tampa would be better with Brady than Winston. Winston is a below average NFL starter. So upgrading from a below average started to a top 7 or so starter is massive.

So yes Watson would at the very least reach the superbowl with Tampa. There are about ten teams in the league currently where they would jump to superbowl contenders if they swapped their qb with Watson.

3Rings likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Rather than Cal Mcnair, silver spoon fed idiot who has never earned anything in his life and probably has zero intellectual curiosity?

Who knows more about Football? Watson or Cal?

16. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This from The Draft Network. This would wind up being quite a haul for the Texans. I still don’t want to trade him, but this would be interesting.

You’d get three firsts from the Jets plus Darnold (meh). Then trade the 2nd pick for even more picks. They describe the scenario more in-depth below.

raining threes likes this.
  17. raining threes

So you think if Tampa had Watson they would be in the SB?

Respectfully agree to disagree.

18. fchowd0311

Why? Watson was objectively better in almost every single way than Brady this season.

19. raining threes

His stats are better because he was playing from behind all yr.

Plus the playoffs are a different animal and the last time Watson was in the playoffs 51-7 happened.

You think 51-7 ever happens with any team Brady leads into the playoffs throughout his career?

20. fchowd0311

No. The Texans lost by a td or less in 8 of their 12 loses. I've shown you Watson's numbers in close games in the 4th with a 132 passer rating.

I can also show you Watson's elite first half splits.

Also, Watson absolutely ***** on Brady in per attempt efficiency which eliminates your argument. The argument that "a qb plays from behind and therefore inflates numbers" rhetoric refers to volume stats as qbs will fling it more down. It doesn't account for efficiency.

Watson led the league in air yards per completion and second only behind Rodgers in completion rate. He also has a better td/int ratio than Brady.

Brady throws for less accuracy on far more shorter throws per completion. Brady somehow had a 5% completion rate disadvantage while throwing far more check downs and 5 yard dinkers than Watson.

FLASH21 likes this.