1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It might be time

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

I disagree... it takes years and many picks to find a Deshaun Watson. It also takes luck. If a team like the jets is willing to move all those picks then we need him as much as the jets...

Texans are 4 players away, not 10....

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe 4 Hall of Famers.

justtxyank and Nimo like this.
  3. conquistador#11

Would you guys part ways with the jets 1st no.2 overall pick, your own first rounder next year plus another 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder for the first pick overall? And would the Jags do it?

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

This isn't about trading Deshaun Watson. This is about trading an unhappy Deshaun Watson when you are not willing to do what would make him happy.

Nook and dookiester like this.
  5. Landry's Tooth

Then you give him the James harden treatment and actually give him what he wants.

Your alternative is irrelevant football for a decade likely...

6. Landry's Tooth

No...

a legit running back to keep the defense off the field and run out clock with the lead

An edge rusher

A run stopping tackle

An upgrade at a corner spot

Funny thing is a lot of those positions can be found with mid round picks, something they have...

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

If I thought the Texans could or would do this I wouldn't even be considering a trade.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

So they need 4 3rd rounders.

The running back position is really the one that is most reasonable; but this draft isn't as good past the top 2 or 3 backs. Good edge rushers don't get past the 2nd round. Cornerback is such a gamble, you have way more misses than hits.

9. raining threes

I dont see Watson as a hof QB. We watched 3 HOF'ers today and Watson ain't in that class. Very good but not in that class.

David Mulgahetta (SP?) is trying to do the same thing with Watson that he did with Ramsey. Get him to a big market where he can make far more off of sponsorship deals. Also Watson's GF is an aspiring model. These things are why he wants to be traded to the NYJ.

This is about money, /fame, and his GF's wishes. Not Cal, religion, Easterby, Caserio, the new HC hire etc....

10. raining threes

You dont know this.

If they get the #2 pick there's a good chance Feilds or Wilson becomes as good as Watson. They both have better arms than Watson and I'm not saying Watson has a bad arm but those guys have special arms.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No amount of picks are worth more than an elite QB.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. Marteen

Marteen Member

I’ve accepted Watson’s gone. IDK how Cal McNair recovers from this, but when you’re a billionaire, do you care?

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

When you rebuild in the NFL, your entire rebuild is to find a franchise quarterback. Why? Because a great quarterback alone keeps you a few other players away from contending. It literally can open your championship window for double digits amounts of years. Like our is with Watson.

Entering a rebuild because of two years of hardship is asinine. It's idiotic.

But so is the owner.

Instead, you do what the quarterback wants. Whatever it is. That's why Watson has power here. He knows this. He is not dumb.

I will say this until I'm blue in the face. Until Watson has requested a trade, you try and fix this. We, as fans, should not listen to the media. It's unacceptable to be pondering our future without him, imo. I get why fandom does that, but we shouldn't accept that.

joshuaao and mightybosstone like this.
  14. Landry's Tooth

You can also swap picks for players....

I have no problem moving a 2022 second rounder for a quality player in their prime at a needed position... the trick is getting such a player on a smaller contract... i would look at the players from the 2018 and 2019 draft class on teams going nowhere that might value a pick more... look what aj bouye went for, granted he had gotten paid...

15. Landry's Tooth

As a hypothetical... let's say it Leonard Williams on the Giants who is looking for an extension. You restructure a few contracts maybe sending someone like Cobb in the deal to offset some of his salary and attach a 2022 2nd round pick...

You can get creative... after they clear out the bad contracts in a year they can afford to give him his money...

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Every draft there are multiple qbs with better arms than Brady that are drafted.

I'm telling you that the Texans will most likely never draft a QB as good as Watson ever again.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The three highest endorsement QB's currently play in:
    Cleveland
    Kansas City
    Green Bay

The Jets would actually be worse than the Texans are now... and in the future... if they were coerced to give up what Watson should command. This is not like Ramsey going to an already going for it Rams team. This is also not the NBA. The league has specific concerns about setting this sort of precedent for players that sign an extension.

For now, Watson and his agent should do whatever is in their power to get everybody's attention... they've done that. But this will not be as simple as "Player X no longer happy so he prefers to go elsewhere..." Not in the NFL, and especially not with a franchise QB s/p extension.

18. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Brady threw three INTs. I think Watson could do that. After his defense got three turnovers, Rodgers could only lead his offense to 6 points off the three turnovers. Watson could do that too. In fact, if Watson led his offense to six points off of three turnovers, you would be calling him a bum. If he threw those INTs that Brady threw. you would call him a bum.

As far as the rest of your post, Watson already has the money and the fame and your GF speculation is simply your unsubstantiated opinion. We all know your opinion on Watson.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I believe that it's the moves he's seen the Texans make over the last few years since he's been here that he realizes this is a loser organization and doesn't want to waste his career here like AJ and Watt. Since the passing of Bob and Cal has taken over it's been the most incompetently run team in sports. Giving complete power to coaches who don't deserve it, overpaying on trades, trading away your best players for less than fair value, and AJ telling DW that this team is known for wasting players careers. I think he's seen enough of the **** show, and as a fan I have as well.

Best of luck on your new team DW. Think I'll follow you.

3Rings likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You don't see him as a potential hof qb?

The 4th fastest nfl qb to 100 tds.
    5th in career era adjusted passer rating.

Watson is top 10 in career era adjusted completion percentage. The only qb that has a higher era adjusted career yards per attempt amongst the top 15 in era adjusted completion ratings is Steve Young.

This season he led the league in air yards per completion and was second only behind Rodgers in completion rate. That's like a MLB batter who always swings for power who also leads the league in batting average. There is a strong inverse correlation between air yards per completion and completion rate. Makes sense, deeper throws are more difficult to complete that check downs and 5 yard dinkers. Watson slaps that convention in the face like Steve Young.

I don't think you have any clue how talented Watson is. The dude is one of the most accurate downfield passers in NFL history.

Trading away Watson will be the most laughed at trade in NFl history a decade from now. It will tarnish this franchise forever. It took us multiple decades to get our franchise stud qb and we trade him away because of gross incompetence and hubris from a silver spoon fed idiot.

3Rings likes this.