1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr traded to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jan 21, 2021.

1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I really really hope he throws clam chowder on Tilman and Patrick.

#621 ksny15, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    topfive, HP3, joshuaao and 1 other person like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I really hope rockets fans start falling for medias conspiracies less and become less self hating...now its trendy amongst rockets fanbase to hate on rockets players coaches owners and everything rockets rockets

Salvy, Tfor3, hieuytran and 8 others like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It took Wood hitting rock bottom - getting cut in China - for him to turn it around. KPJ is nowhere near rock bottom, so I don't think the comparison is relevant.

jiggyfly and forchette49 like this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Getting to the point where he's about to be waived and having it broadcast all over the league is pretty dam close to rock bottom.

saleem, No Worries and T FOR 3!!! like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

There should be no question that Porter is a walking calamity. He made reference to killing himself at some point this year I believe. He has now essentially been suspended or asked to leave at every level of basketball. What he did after his locker was moved also is being stupidly down played.

I have no issue with the Rockets deal for Porter as long as coach and GM were in agreement. The actual asset cost is nil for the Rockets.

Still the actual chance of a happy ending from the Rockets perspective has to be like 5%. These problems are deep seated and to assume they will ever get better, not to mention get better on the Rockets timeline is foolish.

He is a free lottery ticket at this point.

Rashmon, joshuaao, FLASH21 and 16 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Is it? We don’t know. For some it is prison or being homeless. Some people never comeback from hitting rock bottom. Look at Eddie Griffin or Lawrence Phillips.

Scarface, clos4life, Patience and 3 others like this.
  7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Not trying to derail this thread, but can we talk about how the Spurs have done a great job of just casually updating their classic jersey and we still can’t seem to figure out how simple it would be to do the same... rant over.

This dude is special on the court, but it means nothing if he’s caught up in stuff that will keep him from progressing and working with a ball club. But there’s some hope that we just added a future star, odds are highly against it though.

8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Delonte West

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, this is the problem. Rock-bottom isn't just getting cut from multiple teams for some guys. I'll throw in Delonte West and hell, John Lucas, into that list.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'm hoping having guys like John Lucas and the vets on the team can help him figure it out - the Cavs didn't seem to have a strong locker room to me and offer a young kid some perspective in this league. I thought KPJ actively posting his new uni on insta and embracing the situation was a huge positive. The 2021 Houston Rockets are a team of Outcasts. He fits right in and once he can refocus I think he could be an integral part of the future for us. I haven't seen him do anything Royce White would have done by now with cryptic social media posts and the like. Putting him back on a court would be the best thing for him in his recovery I would think. Hopefully its soon.

You nailed it - its free lotto ticket. Most of them might be losers, but every now and again you get a surprise. Houston is due for some good luck don't ya think?

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

By listening to the vets and people who've been through something similar.
    We have it all here.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think there is a pretty significant difference between being cut in the CBA and being almost waived in the NBA. But we'll see. Hopefully he'll get his act together faster than Wood did.

coachbadlee likes this.
  13. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

This is one of the few threads that I’ve read every page of.

I’m irrationally excited to watch him play and develop!

To me, he plays like a low usage Luka

#633 srrm, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  14. csc177

csc177 Member

This reference to Eddie G. gave me chills because John Lucas also tried to save Griffin from himself. Griffin's demons ran deep though, gosh I hope this kid turns it around. I think Lucas has some strong points to really hit home with the 20 year old.

Sanity2disChaos, Nook and clos4life like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I really hope anyone having severe problems works through their demons. Unfortunately we never know who will and who will not. I have never met Porter and outside of what has been said publicly through the media and the few interviews he has given, I know nothing about him. He clearly has some serious issues between handling the death of his father, domestic violence, a gun issue and an inability to handle structure.

There isn't a lot of information to know for sure, but he sounds like he may suffer from some degree of mental illness that may need to be treated with medication and counseling.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I feel a little uncomfortable talking about someone else's mental health with the sole purpose being, "what can we do to make him good for US".

I hope the kid figures out life PERIOD. I couldn't care less about his basketball career.

17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Royce White #bewell

18. csc177

csc177 Member

My sentiment exactly. Bigger than basketball or the success of the rockets.

BHannes2BHonest and mikol13 like this.
  19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Amen and Awomen!

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Or maybe he just would not listen?

I am never for giving up on a young person but sometimes they have to figure it out for themselves, at the end of the day he has to start looking at himself.

I have no idea why you think he got deprioritized by Cleveland, they could have just got tired of his ****.