1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm sorry I can't agree that it's a good idea to trade WOOD just for a CHANCE at a top 4 pick.

That's almost an insane idea that you're trading away a 25 year old 20-10 big man just for a shot at MAYBE (an actual coinflip chance) getting a top 4 pick.

I'm not in contender mode but this kind of gambling is the kind of gambling that destroys your franchise, like trading away all of your picks for Westbrook kind of gambling.

If we trade Wood and give our pick to OKC...then what? That's my question to you. Then what's the plan?

Jayzers_100, MrButtocks and BigM like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, that depends on if you think Wood can be a defensive anchor and leader himself.

I have seen his red flags.

I am not saying he cannot be an Allstar but I do not see him as a leader and this team needs leadership really bad after what Harden pulled with his strip club tours.

Wood got all talent but not the tough guy character.

He is a 2nd or 3rd banana at best, and I am afraid of empowering him like Harden and he isn't as good as Harden.

I would love to keep him till he is 29 and deal with leadership then.

I have been burned by All Offense first guys enough, and by narcissists like Royce.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude, the Rockets scout players with little leadership skills, often locker room red flags.

The Warriers select talent and leadership first.

Dray, Steph, Klay, even Barnes are decent to good leaders.

You need leadership in close playoff situations where things fall apart not when you have blowouts in the regular season.

If PJ had JH's talent he would have been better for it.

#383 daywalker02, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Completely disagree. For one, he’s shown a lot of qualities as a leader. He went back into the game against the Suns when he was hurt to because he felt the team needed him. Second, he’s been solid on defense. See below.
    5569744B-B1DC-4771-B45A-AA19DB99EA65.jpeg

Trackwell and JayGoogle like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

I think there’s a somewhat middle ground where we set up the bottoming out by trading vets/expiring and end up with like 10th and 16th picks.

From there we use some of our cap space on brining back some of the young core back for 2021 and not have the pick restrictions from OKC for two straight seasons. We would have the flexibility of using cap space, developing young players, and going for top picks.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

The decision to go back into a game we lost was a bad one. They lost him for two more games after that. People should not be applauding that decision.

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m not saying it was wise. I’m saying it shows leadership qualities.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

That is the logic. Keep trading away any player who is not projected to be a MVP or at least a perennial All Star who might win too many games. The main excitement during the season is hoping that our young players and washed up vets don't unexpectedly get hot and win a game. Oh, but what excitement come draft day and the summer league and the first few games of the next season to see if the high draft choice projects as a big star.

MrButtocks, Trackwell and HP3 like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

For me it's not much about how good he is now, he's 25. Players at 25 usually get better.

The post I replied to was advocating for trading Wood for a chance at getting a top 4 pick. This is a huge gamble with about a 50% chance of happening.

If you lose the gamble then you don't have Wood and you don't have the top 4 pick. That's a huge gamble to take.

I think it's way too early to be judging Wood on his leadership qualities too. No one thought Curry was a leader when he entered the league, same for Green. That's something you prove over years and years of service.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You can keep Wood AND tank, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Plowman and HP3 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude, I never said trade him, mang.

I said as last resort lol, read my intention.

But yeah, sure, the Organisation has to stop picking up red flags.

Kevin porter should be the last one instead being the first ones.

You start a new culture with humas that set good, healthy standards around here.

Then you round it out with enforcers, halfway rascals. Not the other way.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I can't get on board with this. We traded away Capela for a chance to get better and Capela is looking like a top 5 center right now. That's the big risk with this strategy...that you become a developmental team that just offloads its good talent to teams that will actually compete.

In order to develop stars you have to actually give them time to grow and have a situation around them where they can grow. It would not help Cade Cunningham to draft him and have no one around him that can actually play.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope, we traded away Capela to serve Westbrook who didn't necessarily wanted to be here long term.

That narrative has been spun wrong.

HP3 likes this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, I was replying and talking about the idea that we should trade Wood to help us better tank for a top 4 pick.

As for Porter, I'm fine with that because it's a low risk gamble. We paid nothing for him basically and if it doesn't work out, oh well, you tell him farewell and move on.

If it works out? Well then, you've likely acquired a starting level player or key rotational player with potential to get better or potential to be a key player in a bigger move.

This was a Morey move, Morey did this A LOT. From Thabeet to T-rob to even Anthony Bennet last season. Morey always took low risk gambles like this on prospects that other teams gave up on.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I said the exact same thing...

We traded Capela because we thought it would make us a better team.

Westbrook didn't demand for Capela to get traded, so it wasn't done to serve some desire of his, the team did it because they thought it made them a better team.

jiggyfly and daywalker02 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The intention is good but it is still the wrong approach.

When we needed height and post play, Morey opted to select tweeners and undersized 4s.

This gamble approach is the wrong one.

You pick the safer ones and round it out with projects.

By this order.

You need a foundation first.

Then you build toward it.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, the FO never communicated with the owner.

The owner was already on the verge of letting MDA and Morey go.

Harden and WB were the next dominoes.

The Capela, Roco thing didn't work out that well.

This small ball, micro stuff was an experiment, they treated it as the bible, they got burned, and in addition MDA was reported to leave.

It was a PR disaster, technical disaster, huge waste of resources, just allround disaster

And still they tried to gloss over and embellish it.

Darn, I was in ignore mode a long time.

JayGoogle likes this.
  18. jayfree

jayfree Member

This has to be one of the weirdest years to tank as the Rockets are 6-9 yet only 2 games out of 1st. Our division just isn't that good at all.

My understanding is if the Rockets have a better record than both OKC and Mia then Houston keeps their first round pick without having to swap. Which means the best we could hope for is both OKC and Mia to continue to lose and miss the playoffs, if by chance we don't hit the playoffs then we still get a lottery pick.

We may be in the same boat whether we get the #5 pick or the #14 pick. So many things up in air without any guarantees of either.

I think the Rockets are a playoff team as constructed now, but injuries, covid and resting may be the difference. If any combination of Oladipo, Wood or Wall have to sit for games at a time then the playoffs will be out regardless.

#398 jayfree, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  19. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Nah they will end up trading and tanking

HP3 and jayfree like this.
  20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The Knicks & Cavs are 2 games from #2 playoff seed. We saw what Cavs just did to the BK Big 3. So far, there's so much parity that its tougher to tank.

That said, Rockets will have a brutal 1 month period of road games. Home and road arent as important now in covid, but that constant travel away from home might weigh on them anyway. That should decide their direction