1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It might be time

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 24, 2021.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Of all the monumentally dumb things the Texans have done, the dumbest would be trading Watson. He can "request" a trade all he wants, you don't have to trade him.

joshuaao, mikol13, Hey Now! and 3 others like this.
  2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I think you are making the mistake of thinking any professional athlete puts liking a city where they live over millions of dollars and the chance to win championships. I’m sure Carlos loves the organization and city but if another contender comes calling with millions of extra dollars to spend I’m sure he will get over liking being here if we aren’t I a position to win. Shelf life for money is very narrow.

Nook likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Yes. The Texans won’t let their asset depreciate by not playing and they don’t want a QB under center that doesn’t want to be there. If Watson really wants out, he is out.

4. Nook

Nook Member

The reality is Correa will go elsewhere if the money is better.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Harden wanted to stay in Houston, just not as bad as he wanted to win a title.

raining threes likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No it isn't about time. I'm sorry but the Texans will probably never draft someone as good as Watson for the rest of the franchise's existence. You keep him at all costs.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No!! I will never give up!! Never!

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

More reports? Or the same report from earlier in the week (“coach may not matter”) that Mortensen just re-stated this morning... and all the usual news outlets re-reported (Schefter, PFT, etc.).

Yes, it all may end up coming true... but there isn’t any current news from either side. If I was in Watson’s agent’s position, I’d play it exactly like they’ve done.... but at the same time, the league doesn’t want every star player who isn’t “happy” being acquiesced whenever they want, thus why I don’t think this is as simple as Watson gets to pick his team and they all make it work.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Amen.

You can say what you want about a rebuild, but you don't get rid of a 25 year old potential hall of famer, even if you're rebuilding. Your window is open for 15 years here. You want to move on to rebuild with a 3 years younger unknown?

Okay....

These fans be trippin'. Trying to convince themselves the team they root for is still trying to win football games. They're not. Quit being jaded.

In two years, with Watson, and a competent organizational structure, this team would be fine. It doesn't have that, though. Instead, this team is literally setting itself up to be modeled after the Cleveland Browns teams of yore. The Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL, if you will. Grow that talent, and then watch it leave.

#29 Two Sandwiches, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Nook, conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If a trade actually happened... Watson’s new team would likely have a worse current roster and less future picks than the Texans do now... yet everybody will admit that situation can be “recovered” as long as you have Watson in place.

Hence why you keep him if there’s a smidgen of hope that it can be fixed... even if he wants to run the risk of actually missing game checks (which it will never come to that).

Zen Tabak likes this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

So they're screwed either way?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Unless the media hit jobs actually creates an epiphany in the McNair family that they have to change... that truly would be some divine intervention right there. (And Easterby will say his job is done... and walk away on water).

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Offensive line needs help (again)
    Secondary needs help
    Pass rush needs help

Tight ends are meh
    Receivers are meh

Only the QB is elite

This is not ideal for a team looking with negative cap space, no high draft picks, and not looking like an ideal free agent destination.

If they can guarantee Watson happiness then keep him. But if there is a chance of him being disgruntled or sitting out, they need to have the conversation.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The defense is crap...

The Tight ends actually do have some versatility/talent. The receiving core, while could have been decimated by losing Hopkins, ended up being more prolific this year... but that’s how good Watson is that he can pretty much take any receiving core from here on out, with the slightest bit of talent/separation, and make them prolific.

Any team looking to trade a kings ransom for him also has all these holes... and then some. They will need to be creative to try and fix the defense, or hit on some mid-round picks. Still easier then finding a new franchise QB.

15. conquistador#11

How do you rid of what really is setting back this organization? Can't rebuild over a burial ground with bad foundation to top it off. I'm down with Trevor but Trevor won't be down for this sh**show when the extension comes up.

Joe Willie likes this.
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Remember that receiving corp is without Will Fuller. They can resign him or franchise him but that will be tricky with no cap space.

The big thing that has me here is the possibility of a disgruntled QB. I'm just not confident the Texans ar able to clean this up.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet its still likely easier than either trusting this front office/owner to oversee a rebuild... or somehow finding another franchise QB and proving he’s truly one over the next 5 years.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This.

Or McNair just says he's going to step back, let the team run itself, while he collects checks, and the someone running the team is not in Easterby's pocket.

That's how you make Deshaun happy, and how you get the franchise back on track.

Will never happen, though.

joshuaao and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. showa13

showa13 Member

As long as the Easterbunny/Cal connect is there, there’s not much hope. They’re going to run off any good players who aren’t ‘culture fits’, bungle the inevitable rebuild we face if we trade Deshaun, and in 3-4 years say we need to start the rebuild over. This will continue until Easterbunny/Cal don’t have the team in their vice grip.

Which is why this coaching decision is so massive. EB means Easterbunny has lost some influence, Frazier means Easterbunny ain’t going anywhere.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It took us 20 years to find a franchise QB. I'm not sure I have another 20 years left. FML.

conquistador#11 and fchowd0311 like this.