1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To all the Morey loves who keep crying about “cheap Tillman” and the Harden deal..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Stros, Jan 24, 2021.

?

After watching Oladipo & this team since the trade, do you still think Tillman/Stone suck?

1. Yes, I truly believe the trade was bad and the team has a dark future

6.3%
  2. Yes, I hate “cheap Tillman”

44.1%
  3. Yes, because I can’t stop dreaming about Morey’s sexy beard

3.1%
  4. No, I still hate “cheap Tillman” but my personal bias again him led my astray

3.9%
  5. I’m one of the few who have been excited by the change in mgmt and this team’s future

28.3%
  6. No, Oladipo is a lot better than I thought & wrong about the trade but I don't whine

0.8%
  7. I’m one of the few who have been excited by the change in mgmt and the team’s future!

13.4%
  1. Victorious

Victorious Member

Keep the tealminh is cheap jokes coming but so far he's ducked the tax for just role players right? If he starts ducking tax because he doesn't want to pay an emerging superstar like okc did with Harden, then that's when we know how cheap he really is

Like has there been any reports that we passed up on a third piece or another star for Harden because Telly was cheap?

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I was underwhelmed by the trade at first, but it’s looking better to me now.

I don’t care all that much about the owner. It looks to me like Stone knows what he’s doing. He’s been with the team a long while — it’s not like he’s a novice at team building.

topfive likes this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Its a great take, don't be discouraged from the children like @Downtown Sniper who constantly blame Tilman for everything and praise Morey the man who actually traded away every single player and asset we had trying to please Harden. Then he will try and say that any opinion outside of his is ignorant and stupid. This is just cancel culture where any one with a different point of view is automatically wrong.

Tilman has not yet had the chance to actually even spend, Stone is just barely starting to deconstruct the joke Morey had put together last season for the incredible circus small ball lineup everyone laughed at. There was no one to sign, no one to extend. No one that left because of a contract. A team that for years was ran by a GM a coach and Superstar. Every move that was made was made to please Harden, and when the team finally ran out of trading pieces and saw the absolute mess they made they simply just left. And now we are stuck to pick up the pieces and the fans have to hear the Harden only fans/Tilman haters whine about the current GM and Owner.

[​IMG]

Highlyrated and BlastOff like this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Trying to defend Tilman by attaching him to false equivalencies with Stone and Morey, nice job.

I guess now everything that has happened since 2018 has been erased. Fair.

slothy420, clos4life, topfive and 5 others like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Tilman should not pay the LT this year . Tilman should have paid the LT one of the last couple of years

it’s his right not to . It’s his money

but , don’t expect fans to cut you a break when you constantly say how willing you are to pay the tax , want to pay the tax , don’t understand how you got under the LT ... etc

Furthermore Tilman has stated he doesn’t want to pay the repeater tax . This is understandable. But you can’t use that as an excuse for not paying the tax when you haven’t even been in the tax yet .

We made moves to get under the tax and used assets to do so . This instead of improving the team . Does that sound like Morey , a guy who has a reputation of being aggressive and trying to improve the team at all costs ?

Long story short Tilman wasn’t willing to go into the LT with a great player in his prime and a good roster already around him . Would he go slightly into the tax for prime LBJ , wade , and bosh ? Yeah probably , you’d be insane not to .

The guy made a tweet laughing at GS’ luxury tax bill . Well , they won some titles so jokes on you buddy .

Until he proves it, he’s all talk and not actually willing to pay up

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You can like or dislike the trade, but you cant LIKE this **** owner and new management based on just 1 trade, lulz. They threw a snickers into a bowl of **** and you're trying to eat it. Not only is the team bad. Not only did EVERYONE quit. Nobody else wants to even come here. INCLUDING the guy you like in the trade - Oladipo.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Multiple sources also say that Tillman pushed for the trade as well and thought Paul had the worst contract in the NBA.

Why do you ignore that?

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-the-worst-contract-hed-ever-seen-per-report/

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...tta-tells-final-hours-of-paul-westbrook-deal/

I was in Europe, and so I was six or seven hours ahead of them. So I’m talking at 2, 3, 4 in the morning. And we just decided to do it. They ran different statistics by me.

My basketball ops [operations] got maybe a little weak at the end, and I just said, ‘We’re doing this. We are going to make the change. We’re going to go after it and roll the dice. We’re going to find that 5 percent.’

The one thing I believe you do in business, and you do in basketball, is you never sit still. You always keep it exciting. Not only is it exciting that we’re a better team, but it’s exciting for the fans. I owe it to them to give them the best opportunity to win a championship every year.

clos4life, topfive, BallaDoc and 2 others like this.
  8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I’m not ignoring it. Just pointing out it wouldn’t have happened w/o Harden. It’s portrayed around here like it was dictator tilman who caused it. I think it’s closer to 50-50

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Why would a former GM burn bridges by saying "lolol Stone is trash and he got **** on by BKN in that trade lolol" or anything to that effect?

Political correctness is the way to go, especially since you're still a current GM and want to do business with Stone down the line, maybe.

clos4life likes this.
  10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Putting tilman and stone together isn't fair to stone. I think stone did a great job with the trade but I also think he prob would have kept lavert over dipo if it wasn't for tilman wanting to get out of paying players. I am also not sure if he wouldn't have wanted to keep jarred allan.

11. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Disclaimer i did not read the 100 page post bc well its a 100 pages.

You will notice that no one will be yammering for us to go into luxury tax this year. This is bc we have no shot at the championship. You said you only go into luxury when you can get kd, and that is only partially correct. You go into luxury when you feel like you have a shot to win it all. Rockets were that team for the last few years and a few players putting us over luxury could have made a difference.
    You mentioned why doesn't he just trade wall to save money, you do realize that in the nba you can't just trade players without getting close to the same salary back right? Also no one is saying he wants to have a payroll of 0, we are saying he won't spend like some of the owners have when they had a chance to win it all

clos4life and MettaWorldPete like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A couple things here that you aren't considering.

First, it's not JUST about paying vs not paying the tax. If he never went over the tax in the first place, and said he wasn't going to pay it, we would be in a much better spot. It's the fact that he allows the team to go OVER the tax during the season, and then gives away assets to get back under it. Consider two teams, one 5mil above and one 5mil below the luxury tax. The last day before the trade deadline the team 5mil above the tax gives away a first round pick to dump 10mil in salary. Those teams both show up as tied on your list (at 5mil below cap), but one of them gave up a first round pick to get there. They aren't the same.

Second, team salary is not the only thing that the owner can spend on. Practice facilities, scouting departments, coaching staff, analytics staff, I could go on and on. There are a ton of front office positions that do not contribute to the cap where the rockets are sorely lacking, that have been gutted by Tilman. I'm not saying there's a direct correlation between money spent and results, but I would bet that the teams who spend the least in these departments are the ones who do the worst.

clos4life, BallaDoc, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Jury is out on Stone, but seems to he competent.

Verdict is in the Fertitas, worst owner in the league.

clos4life, psaman17, BallaDoc and 2 others like this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He made constant comments about Chris Paul having the worst contract in sports and made an asinine trade to turn him into a worse player. He presided over majorly idiotic moves like turning Anderson into Knight and Chriss and then burning assets to get rid of them. He subverted negotiations with Dantoni by making public ageist comments to drive down MDAs price, and made Dantonis wife lawyer up. He drove Morey out of the franchise Morey loved, and Harden, too.

If he was willing to make moves to win, he came in with the most golden opportunity he might ever get, and he shat all over it.

Thats not all erased because Stone found some solid undrafted gems.

During his 2 years with Harden, he consistently burned assets to get rid of contracts and not to upgrade the rotation. Tilman fans just dont pay enough attention to know why everyone else is annoyed.

16. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

Dare I say this ..... was Stone Daryl Morey in disguise ???? We all know he had a hand in some moves when he was here . I think he’s better than what I originally thought beginning of the season . I like a GM that is not a afraid to make moves for the better . We only have crappy owner that only wants to make moves to save money . This will always cap the potential of being true contenders .

rhee likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I courteously Abstain

Rocket River

D-rock and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No Disrespect but . . . . .I dunno how long you have been a Rockets fan
    but . . .2015 . . . means you have NEVER BEEN HERE DURING A LOSING SEASON
    Means . . .You have never experienced a DECADE OF PRAYING OF GETTING OUT THE FIRST ROUND

So . .. I will say I hope you optimism is rewarded.

It is not that simple. Who would he trade Wall too? What is the Future monetary impact. I'm serious what team are you trading to??? It takes two to tango.
    Wood is a great deal. Next year Wood would be probably twice his value. He has already outplayed his contract.
    Oladipo is an expiring contract. His money is off the books THIS YEAR. Allen has more years.
    You have to view the long and short term cost of everything .. . .
    every year is not in a vacuum.

Rocket River

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Don't think these situations are comparable. It's an insult to compare the Rockets ownership to the Texans. The Rockets gave James everything he wanted, keys to the franchise basically, even traded him to the team he wanted to be with in the end. Although the Texans have been more willing to spend (on the wrong things like whatever brock was, david johnson, sub par WRs, a preacher, ect) than the Rockets have been. Rockets are historically considered a well run organization, the texans not as much.

It didn't end in a championship but we were a cp3 hamstring away from the nba finals against one of the most stacked teams ever assembled. The Texans have yet to have a playoff win that wasn't a wildcard game.

Texans situation would be like if the Rockets hired Joel Osteen for basketball operations and traded Harden in his prime over firing Osteen to keep Harden happy. Only the Texans would screw this up smh

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

ahhhh yesss .. the famous "add the same answer multiple times to a poll" tactic. I like it. I'd vote twice if I could.