1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The "Untouchables"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown's Finest, Jan 24, 2021.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If Beal comes available none of these guys are untouchable. But of course there are guys id prefer to keep.

Just not sure if beal would agree to sign long term here.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

On Draft Nights, all draft positions are set. Just a matter of how you rate the BPA when looking to move up.

And what I actually said was our War Room is going to walk into each Draft Night having already strategized dozens of scenarios for moving up. And in those planning discussions, I seriously doubt they will say anyone is untouchable.

I believe that is Fact, more than my opinion.

Kawaii

KD was never traded. Doesn't matter if AD was headed to LAL "anyway," everyone but Lebron was untouchable, included the 4th Pick in that Draft.

GSW did have to clear salary to get KD. I'm sure they would have cleared anyone but Curry, as long as KD was still good with going there after trades.

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

patrick should be an untouchable

for the front offices of teams we are tanking against for a top 4 pick

4. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Luxury Tax Savings.

D-rock and Landsdale like this.
  5. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I had to look this one up as well because I just thought KD signed with Brooklyn but turns out it was a sign and trade.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...l-kevin-durant-traded-to-brooklyn-nets-in-s-t

6. PatBev

PatBev Member

Jones & Wood

Tate isn’t special to me

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, SnT scenarios would count (wrt "untouchability" of players used in the SnT), if a SnT was actually required to get the free agent. I don't think Nets needed help of a SnT, but rather, that was a dual SnT. GSW needed a SnT to get D'Angelo, and gave up a FRP to get it, and they needed to talk Nets into SnT for Durant to match salaries in trade.

at least, I think that was the reasoning for the dual SnT, since Nets would have just signed Durant, outright.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

nobody on our roster is 'untouchable' for the right deal...

obviously there are guys we'd rather hold onto - but aint nobody untouchable...

Rocket River likes this.
  9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i guess the better question is 'who would you not deal for a mid first and expiring(s) at the deadline'?

aelliott and Rocket River like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree
    I think the worse trade in Rockets History was the barkley trade
    I think we should develope young guys
    Everyone should be under 30

Wall, Boogie, Ego and Tucker will not be on the next Rocket Championship team
    I would LOVE FOR THAT TO BE THE CASE but I just don't see it

Rocket River
    I am willing to be made into a fool for thinking that though

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Nobody on this team is untouchable. I’d prefer to keep Wood, but nobody is untouchable.

D-rock likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's good! Lupin has a Pink Panther / Robin Hood vibe to it.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wood should be the only untouchable....unless someone makes a Herschel Walker/Godfather offer.

15. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Christian Wood is the only guy, on the basis of talent, who is off-limits. Wall, for all practical purposes, is off limits as we'd have to attach picks to getting him to someone else and very few teams would be interested anyways given his salary. I think Cousins is an unlikely trade as well given his close relationship with Wall and low-cost expiring deal. I think there are players the team would be very reluctant to trade like Tate, but I wouldn't say anyone outside of Wall and Wood is "off-limits."

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No one on the roster is untouchable. For the right deal, every player you mentioned could be shipped off, on a deal you might well approve of. Now, it's easier to build if you keep some sort of nucleus to be building around, but no one in that nucleus here is untouchable.

17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Gerald Green-
    Everyone else is an asset.

18. ksny15

ksny15 Member

There isn’t a single dude on this team who is untouchable. If an all-star becomes available and actually wants to be here well then buh bye to whoever they want.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You can't really compare those guys to our young players.

Herro was a lottery pick, made the all rookie team and had a very good NBA finals.
    Bam was also a lottery pick, already been an all star and made all defensive team.
    Murray was #7 pick, averaged over 18 the last two years and had some monster games in the bubble.
    Brown was the #3 pick, all rookie team. Averaged 20 last year and is over 26 this year.
    Tatum was #3 pick, all rookie, all star, all nba, averaged 23.4 last year and is over 26 this year.

Those guys are high picks who their teams expect to be stars. Our guys don't have that type of ceiling.

Also, I don't believer most of the guys you listed are untouchable. Philly didn't want to trade Simmons, Thybull, a slew of picks AND Maxey. That doesn't make him untouchable. They likely wouldn't have included Shake Milton either.

A better comparison for our guys is Nunn and Robinson from Miami. Both were undrafted. They aren't stars but they are good players. You don't give them away but you include them if they get you a better player.

I didn't include Wood because he's been in and out of the league since the 2015-2016 season. He's out best asset right now. He's a skilled offensive player and a good rebounder. He needs to get stronger as he is easily bullied in the paint. If he can develop a post up game or learn to pass, that would improve his value.

Its a star driven league. You have to do whatever you can to acquire a star. It's usually easier to put role players around a star than to add a star to a bunch of good role players.

Wood is the only player that we have that can be a main piece in a trade for a star. Other guys can be a throw in but they are going to be primary pieces.

I'm torn on whether to tank or not. Nowdays, the draft is such a crapshoot that even with a high pick you may get a bust or possibly a guy who's good but not great (KAT, Wiggins, Fultz and Simmons...all top overall picks). on the flipside, without high picks or high upside guys, it's more difficult to acquire a star.

I guess if I have to choose then I'd tank. It's far from a sure thing but it does give you a chance.

Note: I know there's an expectation that the last couple of Nets picks will be high picks. It's possible but if it doesn't work out then I'd expect them to trade one of two of those guys to set them up for the next generation.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

i want to touch all of them