1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The "Untouchables"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown's Finest, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

So I'm sitting here looking at our roster and I'm asking myself who are the "untouchable" guys on this team? I truly believe that with Tucker, Oladipo, Exum, McLemore plus other expiring contracts that add up to almost $50 million dollars; we are going to be major players in the trade deadline this year. The question that I pose to my Clutchfans brethren is what guys on this roster in your mind should absolutely be off limits in a trade (please go into details of why we should keep said player using any logical reason/stat at your disposal)? I'm really curious to read what you guys have to say, as I value you guys opinions and think it just makes for good overall basketball conversations as a whole.

Personally for me I believe Wood, Jones, and Tate should be off limits. Wood has a unique skill set. He's quicker than most centers, can go coast to coast, decent three point shooter, good rebounder, great hands, has great handles for a big, and is a pick and roll nightmare matchup. Jones is an undrafted rookie that just seems like he has something to proof and has that "it" factor. He has an excellent feel for the game, great shooter/scorer, and has a huge ceiling. I really want to see where Jones will be in his NBA career 3 years down the line with proper minutes and enough time to develop. Tate I believe could really be that glue guy that just holds everything all together with his hustle, energy, attitude, and toughness. Tate could be the Rockets version of Draymond Green IMO. But those are my thoughts not bothered one bit if you agree or disagree with them. Just really want to hear you guy's thoughts on guys on this team that you think are "untouchable" and why. Even if you think no player should be off limits on this team in trade talks, offer your take on that opinion as well. Thanks!

#1 Htown's Finest, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't' know about the untouchables, but the Intouchables is a very good movie.

Oh and about the thread, not a single soul.

Jontro, lakersuck2 and saleem like this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

All the young guys, Wood/Tate/Brown/Jones/Martin.... Its sort of a win win situation, if these guys don't flourish Houston has more than enough picks to start shaping out their future. If they do work out they all seem to have rotational talent that could result in a very deep and consistent group. One or two of these guys I feel will break out and be really really good thou. Like, we had him and gave him up??? Good. Patience is the key right now.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

5. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Good points, but side note question. Do you think we should tank? I wanna say you answered this question in a previous thread but I can't recall your position.

Salvy likes this.
  6. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Nobody. But, I really hope Stone/Silas continue to allow our young guys develop and see where they are in 3 years.

I HATED Morey and MDA’s impatience for developing young talent. Morey would get rid of guys, just to give up huge assets for them later on.

smp, gfab-babyboi, ipaman and 4 others like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There are no untouchables, but I want to retain Wood.

D-rock, juanm34, Patience and 3 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

When a legit young star is available, nobody should be untouchable from a mediocre team......

HTown_TMac, Theking, ksny15 and 7 others like this.
  9. Salvy

Salvy Member

I don't think Rockets need to do anything specifically, they will naturally lose tons of games due to injuries and just a lot of really young inexperienced players with a new coach. They can go out every night and give it their best and they will still most likely lose, however this is part of growth. The Rockets as of right now have no identity or direction. No player or system to build around, this is what we may learn this season. May learn, if we are lucky. It might be years till we find our new franchise player or Silas creates a culture and system that players want to play in. Either way, its good for these young guns to play hard and develop. They will either develop into something good or at least into value that we can trade. It'll be a natural transition, hopefully not too painful.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Did you mean "expendables"?

D-rock likes this.
  11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Trade any and everyone. Get some lottery picks, not lower firsts like the BS with Brooklyn

12. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

LMAO, I think you are correct. Almost everyone in the league can be had for the "right" price but then that adds another element to this ordeal. What is the "right" price, when do you give up on a guy and try to get a return for him? I see teams like Miami, Boston, Denver, Philadelphia with guys like: Herro, Bam, Murray, Maxey, Brown, Tatum say that these young guys are "untouchable". And these teams really will stick with these guys for 5+ years and reap the fruits of their labors and some of these guys that I named will become all-star talent and some are already all-stars. But time and time again I see this franchise give up on guys too damn quick and it just really hurts man when you see these guys balling out for other franchises and these were guys we had right here on the roster.

13. macan

macan Member

after that Harden trade, no-one is untouchable.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

You talking about this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intouchables

If so, Omar Sy stars in 'Lupin,' also in French and also on Netflix.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

look at it this way, every draft we will be offering our picks and players to move up in the draft.
    No pick and No player will be untouchable when the brain trust gets together in these upcoming War Rooms

D-rock and vator like this.
  16. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

This seems to be the overwhelming majority opinion it seems on this topic. Yes anybody not named LeBron, KD, Curry, Kawhi, AD, Giannis can had for the right price in the NBA. But if we are truly in "rebuild" mode, then my question is when do we start to build? At some points we need to have some solid foundational players that are key cornerstone pieces for our franchise. Otherwise we just become a revolving door organization like the Knicks imo. I'm game to be converted over to the no one is "untouchable" mindset though, I just need some help getting there with some strong points you guys might have. :)

macan and don grahamleone like this.
  17. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I agree with that point, essentially nobody is off limits. But take a guy like Wood for example. In my mind you only trade that guy for a top 10 player like: Luka, LeBron, AD, KD, Kawhi, Giannis, Curry, Jokic, those type. But these top 10 guys rarely ever become available. So assuming that none of these guys as mentioned above are on the table, when do you say it's ok to trade a guy like C Wood?

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"when"?

like I said, on Draft Days ... a n d ... fwiw, 3 of the Top 5 players were traded recently

#18 heypartner, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    D-rock, don grahamleone and HP3 like this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Absolutely no one on the roster is untouchable if a superstar free agent hits the market.

Like, say, James Harden. Tilman would do anything it takes to land a player that good.

20. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Are you talking about AD, KD, and Harden? True 3 of the top 10 guys were traded recently but AD and KD were heading to those respective teams anyway. Those trades just mutually helped both teams involved. In the case of Wood however, if we were to trade him on draft night are you saying trade him away for a potential lottery pick? What are the odds that said lottery player turns out to be better than C Wood? I think we gotta get an all-star player back in return if we trade Wood, bare minimal top 15-20 player back coming to Houston.