1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Don’t love trading Perez. It doesn’t feel like a good return for him either.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

So assuming we don’t make any more significant moves... Who’s our lead off hitter? What’s the everyday lineup?

my guess:
    4 Altuve
    5 Bregman
    7 Brantley
    DH Yordon
    9 Tucker
    6 Correa
    3 Yuli
    2 Maldanado/Castro
    8 ???

any outfielders ready to go that we don’t have to play Straw??

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

roster is 90% set:

3B Bregman
    LF Brantley
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    RF Tucker
    1B Gurriel
    C Maldonado/Castro
    CF TBD/Straw
    Bench: Diaz, Toro (or Stubbs)
    Pitching staff: Greinke, McCullers, Valdez, Urquidy, Javier/TBD, Taylor, Raley, Smith, Paredes, Stanek, Baez, Pressly
    DL: Verlander, James, Pruitt

Internal options for the TBD OF are McCormick and Siri. Internal options for the TBD pitcher are Garcia, Abreu, Bielak, Martes, and Scrubb. But I think they will make moves to add players from the outside to fill those spots.

CheezeyBoy22 and JMAD21 like this.
  5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

He has no MLB experience but Chas McCormick was with the Astros during the playoffs. Does team feel he's ready or is he still behind Straw in the depth chart and want to ease him in?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. awc713

awc713 Member

I’d love for us to land Taillon but am weary of both his injury history and the haul that it would likely take to land him. I think we have the pieces to land him...but at only 2.5mil this year and arbitration eligible for 2022, I don’t know if he’ll be worth the asking price, (especially with our farm as is)...but him with Strom, watch out.

kaleidosky likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

All depends on what they want for him but he'd definitely be a good add with very high upside. Maybe a lesser version of the package Houston sent for Cole? Something like Luis Garcia, Abraham Toro, Bryan Abreu, and Ross Adolph?

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Definitely interesting. The Astros under Luhnow were excellent at replenishing and developing quality players throughout the system...they’ve really kept our farm stacked with quality, enticing prospects to trade over the past several years. I’m okay with this type of haul if Click is able to replenish those losses. I’m hopeful that Click will be able to find (and the Astros produce), the Luis Garcia and Toros of the world. I think I would do that deal for Taillon, but man his injury history is concerning. 2 TMJ surgeries (2014, 2019) and lost 2015 to a hernia surgery as well. It’s a gamble but if the medicals look okay, I think we pair him with Strom and don’t look back. Local kid, too.

10. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Bring him home.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Luhnow’s days of being a former scouting director... and then minor league director with the Cardinals really forced him to be in tune with all prospects, especially those at the lower levels. In many cases, throughout the early years, he knew team’s prospects better than the team that had them.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

This is the price for having so many injuries last year. Having all those guys make their debuts last year meant packing the 40 man roster. Any additions we make now will require getting someone off the 40 man. I wouldn't be surprised if we trade a couple minor league guys on the 40 man for lower level prospects. Carrying someone like Nova that is so far away from MLB also sucks but he had to be protected from the rule 5 draft.

I know the Yankees have been linked to Taillon. Not sure the Astros can afford to give up the prospect talent for this big of a risk.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I wouldn't think Taillon would be expensive at all.

Comming off injury
    I would do Taillon and Head for Whitley, Soria Toro and a PTBNL

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just my two cents... Yankees are in a tough situation with the way their team is currently built. They have a lot of guys that can hit the long ball but strike out so much. Not only that, their two big bats cant seem to stay healthy. The Stanton move doesn't look great.

I think based on what we've seen as for rumors, they are desperately trying to build a strong rotation around Cole with guys that could be high reward pitchers. Although we know they don't necessarily worry about the cap, they're trying not to go over it. Getting Klubber may pan out or will wont. If they land Taillon and he is healthy, they could have a strong 1,2,3. It's a big if but i think in their situation they do not have a choice.

raining threes likes this.
  16. awc713

awc713 Member

Not sure we have the "high ceiling" prospects PIT is looking for, though I don't know exactly what NYY has to trade either.

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if they'd move Torres with DJ locked up and then sign a FA SS (Simmons?) to a one-year deal which opens them up to compete for an elite SS in next year's FA crop?

#1957 desihooper, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I wonder if they would be inticed by Forrest Whitley?
    To me Whitley is worth more. Due to Taillons health.
    And I understand Whitley has done anything yet.
    But if we can get a two for one kinda deal and bring him home to Texas that might be worth a shot. Plus his low salary

19. awc713

awc713 Member

Yeah, interesting idea with the market where it is (and with the stacked 2021 market), but I don't think they move Torres, especially for a pitcher with as much injury history as Taillon.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

15th, 19th, unranked, 21st according to MLBdotcom

Gerrit Cole: Colin Moran, Jason Martin, Joe Musgrove, Michael Feliz
    Joe Musgrove: David Bednar, Drake Fellows, Endy Rodriguez, Hudson Head, Omar Cruz
    Tyler Glasnow(Austin Meadows, Shane Baz): Chris Archer
    Jameson Taillon: Miguel Yajure, Roansy Contreras, Maikel Escotto, Canaan Smith

:eek:

#1960 J.R., Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    RustyHarden and Nook like this.