1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To all the Morey loves who keep crying about “cheap Tillman” and the Harden deal..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Stros, Jan 24, 2021.

?

After watching Oladipo & this team since the trade, do you still think Tillman/Stone suck?

1. Yes, I truly believe the trade was bad and the team has a dark future

6.3%
  2. Yes, I hate “cheap Tillman”

44.1%
  3. Yes, because I can’t stop dreaming about Morey’s sexy beard

3.1%
  4. No, I still hate “cheap Tillman” but my personal bias again him led my astray

3.9%
  5. I’m one of the few who have been excited by the change in mgmt and this team’s future

28.3%
  6. No, Oladipo is a lot better than I thought & wrong about the trade but I don't whine

0.8%
  7. I’m one of the few who have been excited by the change in mgmt and the team’s future!

13.4%
  1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I think we have a dark future. But that is not because of the Harden trade. It is because of the Westbrook trade, and the total lack of faith in Tillman.

clos4life, darksoul35, fattz and 3 others like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

not sure about stone, but tillmen is the real deal

Space Ghost likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is indeed the fapping deal that keeps on fapping or giving.

Jontro likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

If Wall and Cousins were still 25 yrs old Harden would beg to be traded to Houston lol.

Regardless how good Morey was in his prime he clearly wasnt doing the best job ever the last couple of years. No attention to scouting and hidden gems anymore, no oressure on Dumbtoni to develop young guys for Rox future. Trading away picks every year so he wouldnt have to spend energy scouting. I think he just got burned out.

Tillman FerCheapta isnt the best owner but he isnt the worst either. Ive seen worse, a lot worse in the NBA. At the very least he hired good FO like Stone and Silas and thats the most important thing. Last thing you want is a Dolan or Gilbert owner who isnt afraid to spend but also hires dummies as GM again and again.

BallaDoc likes this.
  5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Most title teams paid the luxury tax. It’s what you do when you have a title contender. What you don’t do is try to trim payroll, or give assets away to do so.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

7. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I'm still not sure how tilman can be blamed for Westbrook. Harden pushed for that deal. Multiple sources confirm that.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

There are too many impactful late round picks for one to ever utter this statement. “Hey, let me downplay what actually happened”.

TF inherited a 65 win team and tried to win by trimming at the margins. He wasted exemptions and gave away assets to shed salary, as opposed to trying to make a title contending team better. That’s dumb and cheap.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think Stone sucks. I know Tilman sucks.

10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I think Stone has passed his first few tests with flying colors. Accumulated assets along the way and got players on. Good value. The next few tests coming up will tell a lot about both him and Fertita.

How they deal with both PJ and Dipo is a big test. If Stone ends up trading both for good assets that can last past the next few years that's a plus for him. He re-sign both in off season to a right valued (trade able) contracts, once again ok. If we lose both in the off-season then it's a negative grade both for the GM not getting us any value and owners not paying to keep an asset.

As far as Tillman cheap, I don't think he is cheap but NBA is the really expensive toy of the truly rich, and it's questionable if Tillman can or be willing to hang with those in that group, especially after paying $2B for the Rockets.

To me it's the moves that got us under the tax while losing assets when we were contenders that probably rub people the wrong way.

Losing D Milton and a 1st to essentially get rid of Ryan Anderson's contract in 19-20. Losing a 1st during the Capela-Covington trade last year after tacking on Nene that if you look at the pieces feels like we didn't need to do it unless it's paying to dump Nene.

Those could be Morey moves which is why I made the following thread. But if the trend of losing assets that we could have kept where the only consequence is how much Tillman pays, that will answer a lot questions.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/lets-judge-tillman-from-this-point-on.308109/

Edit: One thing to add, so far Stone is a good hire, that's a plus for Tillman

#30 wizkid83, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    clos4life likes this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who knows about win but Jerami Grant was available last year in the Westbrook deal and the Rockets passed and went with nobody instead. Would've been more useful than Thabo. Not sure of it was a money thing or just a straight whiff, but an athletic 6-8 guy with a 3 pointer is pretty ideal for what they were doing last year

Rockets priority the last 2 deadlines has been Ltax. Maybe it should have been "don't waste Harden beast mode".

#31 SamFisher, Jan 24, 2021
  12. MettaWorldPete

/thread

clos4life likes this.
  13. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

When you say money, you mean luxury tax? Les was never willing to go there either. I’m glad he didn’t at this point. I don’t think you keep Harden regardless of what other role players you would have over spent on.

They did take a gamble on Wood’s contract. No one else in the league was offering him more or we lose out.

Also, Tilman did make the Stone and Silas hires so he still deserves some credit here as they are linked in a sense.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What should have been offered for Jerami Grant? Perhaps, OKC would have said no in any case. We might have become more powerful.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Comical. Literally anyone could have traded Harden for 4 mediocre draft picks and for an expiring player.

Cousins puts up big numbers and now he is candidate for MVP. It's like some of you forgot the CP3/Westbrook trade. Some of you actually thought it was a good trade.

When a team has no real talent and playing in an Era of no defense, someone has to put the points up.

16. SamFisher

They got rid of him for a lotto protected 1st rd pick that okc later traded to ny

Chris Paul and draft picks. I actually don't think the Rockets needed to offer anything for him. He should have been part of the Westbrook disaster - I mean worst case scenario, what they say no and we don't get stuck with Westbrook? Oh no don't toss us in that briar patch!

HP3 and saleem like this.
  17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

It wasn't about the game tonight - it was referring to Morey blessing the Harden deal. Generally speaking those on the "cheap Tillman" bandwagon are Morey lovers...so I figured if Morey loves the deal, then it's got to really send the majority of this board into a downward spiral and an intense state of consusion as they try to figure out why Morey would ever think cheap Tillman might have made the trade because it was great deal for us. I mean all of his moves are made by his new whipping boy, Stone, who he forces to eat ramen and drink community coffee while he stays up night and day figuring out ways to save Tillman money through s**** trades!

18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/12/0...ade-trade-ultimatum-to-rockets-last-year-too/

With how much talk goes on within the NBA, I would be shocked if the Thunder weren't aware of Harden's demands and knew we were backed into a corner, especially with a GM fighting for his life/job (Morey even said he thought his career was over after the HK tweet) who historically hasn't been the best in negotiations and not showing his hand. That would make WAY more sense why we got so hosed on that deal...

Edit: That video clip of Tillman on ESPN doing an interview after the Westbrook trade that has been used to incorrectly assume Tillman was the only person who wanted to do the trade...I've gone back and rewatched it and he talks about his nervous basketball ops guys showed him all these different analytics on them two being paired together and it likely not being a great fit (really I bet it essentially showed Westbrook just sucked) and he goes on to say he finally said "let's go for it - I owe the fans a chance to win". I'm starting to think he basically was saying, "if I don't go for it we're going to be rebuilding because it's either make the trade or move Harden".

That outburst by Harden wasn't the first time he's acted childish...there's no way you can be that big of an assclown without practice. Oh well truly is a blessing in disguise I think, it's better he acted out now and didn't wait until becoming a FA and really screwing us over.

#38 Htown Stros, Jan 24, 2021
  19. SamFisher

Hong Kong was months after the WB deal.

clos4life and HP3 like this.
  20. fattz

fattz Member

Good read, one of the better threads. I can see and understand both side of the conversation because they are correct.

#40 fattz, Jan 24, 2021