1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s Talk Potential: The Young Guns: 25 and Under

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Jan 23, 2021.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

We haven’t had many young rotation guys in a while to overrate lol. Right now, we have a bunch of young guys who were 2nd round picks or completely undrafted altogether showing lots of potential. Wood goes without saying, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Tate and Jones while Kenyon Martin Jr. seems to have an elite level of athleticism that leads to some jaw dropping blocks and dunks. Even Brown has been better than I expected. Not going to lie, I can’t wait to see what Kevin Porter Jr. can do.

Just curious. Which of these guys are you really enjoying watching so far the most and what do you perceive to be their floors and ceilings? Guys you think can possibly be long term fits. The list...

Christian Wood = 25
    Jae’Sean Tate = 25
    Sterling Brown = 25
    Brodric Thomas = 23
    Mason Jones = 22
    Rodions Kurucs = 22
    Kenyon Martin Jr. = 20
    Kevin Porter Jr. = 20

2. HP3

HP3 Member

Brown maybe will still be here next year. Okay...so here is the thing about Woods and Tate, we most likely arent going to be willing to pay them in 3 years, Woods especially. They will both be 28 and will either be looking for a big pay day or looking to compete...or both.

Mason Jones though........he is someone I could see in our future plans.

Small shout out to Thomas who I think can be someone good in the future.

HTown_TMac, BallaDoc, saleem and 2 others like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Isn't house 25 too?

DD

4. vator

27 and he’ll be 28 in June

5. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

This is a solid young core. I can see Wood, Tate, and Jones becoming stars.

18pbr and don grahamleone like this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i want tucker, gordon, oladipo, house, mclemore all traded. especially gordon asap while he’s not bricking or injured. would like a young big, young rangy forward, cap space, picks in return for all these cats

then we just let all our 25’s and under blossom

7. HP3

HP3 Member

Will you be willing to give Woods and Tate the max in 3 years?

vator likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

how old is nwaba? that guy’s definitely a keeper too

9. vator

just turned 28

D-rock, roslolian and pippendagimp like this.
  10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Jones is a pleasant surprise, he has a future. Supposedly he can get to the foul line plenty, and he hasnt even shown that skill yet.

Martin says the right thing, that he needs to be a PJ Tucker type player. If he (like all the league) develops a dependable 3 point shot, he certainly has tools to defend. Then its too easy to put poor man's Kevin Martin potential on Brodric Thomas. (Porter is intriguing but lets him get his head right first)

I think all players can improve after age 25. Look at Harden, Curry, Nash, etc. Late bloomers like Hassan Whiteside, and of course Christian Wood. But I'd just knock down Tate & Brown's upside a tad. They might be close to "filled out" now with light improvements. David Nwaba was a 24 year old rookie. And he hasn't necessarily gotten way better at 28 now. They're more about scheme, role, comfort within a system. With Tate being a hard worker who might just "will" himself into being better.

Kurucs is only one I dont see contributing. (Dante Exum is 25, for what its worth lols, no thanks there)

BallaDoc, saleem, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I just had a thought that if JVG was the coach he would be sitting all these young talented players in favor of old vets.

burlesk, juanm34, ilias and 7 others like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ever since Dumbtoni left you've become this board's biggest negative nancy. Why tf will Tate even cost the max in 3 years? You think he's the 2nd coming of Simmons?

13. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

woods, maybe. i doubt tate will get a max offer from anyone in 3 years

cmlmel77, saleem and roslolian like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Realistically speaking there's only 5 guys with real.potential on the Rockets:

1. Wood
    2. Jones
    3. Kmart Jr
    4. Kurucs (kinda a joke but the kids only 22)
    5. Kevin Porter Jr (forgot this dude, he had lotto potential ans Cavs traded 4 2nd round picks for him lol)

Tate,Nwaba, Brown are all ballers but also kinda old 25+ yrs old. At that age you have to play like Wood if you have star potential. They def have starter/role player potential though. If you guys remember non cancer D House was pretty good but def not a star. These 3 can be that good IMO.

What I wanna see is the other guys gone. Tucker, House and Macklemore clearly arent good fits for Silas System, trade for whatever they're worth and clear PT for the young guys.

Its kinda crazy the Rox went from no potential team to 5 players with potential without even touching assets from Harden trade. Stone da Gawd.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Maybe not the max but will you be willing to pay him what he asks for at 28 years old? Will he even be worth paying that much? Will we be a championship contender in 3 years, the answer to that is no.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

It would be stupid to give Woods the max in 3 years but he will ask for it. Tate wont get a max but he will also be looking for a big pay day. The Rockets will not be paying either of the....I dont even know if they would want to be here, unless you realistically think we will be competing in 3 years?

17. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

You don't know a damn thing. I don't see why you care enough to post here if you hate the team so bad.
    Wood could easily blossom into a max player with roots here at 28.
    Tate is the type of player that winning teams love, and who the hell says he has max player potential?

18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He still on the team?

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Still 15 mentally, though.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If Porter Jr can get his head straight, he's the most talented of the group.

BallaDoc, roslolian, vator and 2 others like this.