1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Someone explain to me our "draft situation" this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by juanming, Jan 23, 2021.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Or if the worst pick of OKC-HOU-MIA has a better record than BKN (ie worse pick than BKN)

So,
    Rockets get the two best picks of
    • OKC-HOU-MIA pick that OKC swaps with us (HOU Top 4 Protected)
    • POR (lottery protected)
    • BKN

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The reason for the pushback is that the odds of keeping the pick are less than 50-50. The team with the worst record has a 52% chance of a top 4 pick , those chances get worse as the record gets better.

Currently the Rockets are the 5th worst so their odds of being in the top 4 are far shorter than that 52% the worst record has.

I'd really hate to send OKC a top 5 pick .... ugh.

3. VoR

VoR Member

Regardless of where we land, I see us aggressively pursuing Mobley with a trade up if necessary.

4. Nook

Nook Member

It really isn’t that different through the first 6-7 picks.... right now the Rockets would have a 45% chance of keeping their pick.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The point is with the worst record in the league you have a 52% chance at a top 4 .... That sucks.

None of us expect the rockets to actually finish worst .... so their chances will be lower than that 52%.

They are currently 5th (from the bottom) , that means they could land anywhere between 1-9 and 5-9 would go to OKC.

It would suck ass to send them a pick between 5-9 but the odds favor that outcome.

We aren't Cleveland having Stern rig the pingpong balls ... & Adam Silver hates Houston.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I will take a 40-50% chance over zero.

It may not even matter with some much parity right now.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So do we probably get two first round picks next year or not?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

I'm more confused now than before reading the thread. It helped with the Vegas odds so.. explain this to me like I'm Cal Mcnair.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm assuming thats a good way to get blacklisted from future trades. Lots of gms are willing to screw others but it has to be for substantial rewards not a piddling 2nd round pick you can buy for cash.

kjayp likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rox have 3 picks for 2021, their own, Detroit (top 16 protected till 2027) and Portland (top 14 protected till 2027). You gotta feel for Detroit giving us a pick and Wood for Ariza and 16th and Portland giving us 2 picks for RoCo. STONE DA GAWD.

OKC has the right to swap our pick with either Miami or their own, except if we get top 4 pick. That means if OKC doesnt make the playoffs, Miami doesnt make the playoffs and we miss the playoffs we get a lotto pick. Otherwise we are getting a low first rounder.

Rox also own the right to swap any picks with Brooklyn. That means in the unlikely scenario Brooklyn misses the playoffs we can give them the garbage pick we get from OKC and get a lotto pick in return.

11. glynch

So very unlikely more than one FRB this next draft?

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. The parity is crazy right now. Shortened season too — the Heat have the 3rd worst point differential in the East right now, and the same record as the Rockets. Herro has neck issues, to boot. It wouldn’t be totally crazy for the Heat to end up in the lotto, or just sneaking into the playoffs — that would at least alleviate some of the pain of a pick swap.

I just went to check - the Heat have NO protections on their pick swap with OKC.

Nook likes this.
  13. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Likely to have 2. The Portland pick is only lottery protected so Rox have a good chance of getting that one

roslolian likes this.
  14. glynch

Thanks for clarifying. Now if we can just extend our recently near miraculous ability to evaluate non drafted players to the later first round we can really roll.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So I assume that the order of swapping is according to the order of the trades, right? That's why we can swap the OKC swapped pick but they can't swap our Nets swapped pick.

I bet Morey will invent trading 3rd round picks in the future, with the slim probability of the NBA resuming later round drafts. :D

conquistador#11 and heypartner like this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Men of God will sort it out and the Rockets will battlefight with whatever pick they get.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The most we can hope for is another Porter Jr. type of player(s) in the late 1st. I'm okay with that.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I honestly dont even care I wanna see what we have first with Jones and Porter Jr. Jones in particular has seen limited time but has been bombing at 58% 3 pt and 70% TS lol.

coachbadlee likes this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would like for them to at least try to get another big man or two.

kjayp and roslolian like this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well hopefully they get before the draft. I still have 100 usd riding on the Rox getting a playoff spot lol.

coachbadlee likes this.