1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marquis Daniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shot caller, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

I believe he will be a free agent this summer (undrafted rookie). With Nash being the Dallas priority, Daniels might be left waiting.

Not sure how much he is going to be wanting, but it might be within reach. He runs the offense well and seems to be a very smart ball handler.

He can score in bunches too.

I don't think I would start him next year, but with MJ's probable retirement and Stevie's status unkown. I would try to get him.

2. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

sure why not? he's better than wilks. don't over pay though.

3. dragonsnake

dragonsnake Contributing Member

Daniel has potential to be starting PG for a championship caliber team in 2-3 years. I wouldn't mind having him for the whole MLE this summer. It is going to payoff in the long run.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't expect him to get more than the minimum. And, I don't expect him to have nearly the impact he's had for the Mavs on any other team. I see him as the second coming of Sam Mack -- though he filled a role and looked good doing it, he still couldn't turn it into a good long-term contract.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Moochie Norris free agent year flashbacks. :eek:

6. amed

amed Contributing Member

There is a reason why this guy didn't get drafted. He lit up the Rockets once in a meaningless game and ripped the vaunted Sac Queen defense in one game. This guy plays in an offense where any shot is a good shot. He has the green light and can do whatever he wants under Nelson. If the Rockets bring this guy in we he be as effective under JVG's system? I don't think so, remember Mooch and how he would have good games in an open offensive sytem but when he was asked to play in a real offense, he cholked. Daniels is a player who is benefiting from the system and is probably not even worth the MLE.

7. dragonsnake

They are totally different, Daniel is much bigger and he has a very good court vision that Moochie would never have. He is also a very soild rebounder for a PG and good on ball defender. IF you watch him play closely, the guy is smooth and cool on the court. He HAS potential to be a special player.

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

He's a product of the system. Defenses key on his teammates, thus he gets a ton of open looks.

9. dragonsnake

AME:
    There is a reason why he is starting for a top western conference team and average 36.7Min and 15PPG in the playoff. This guy is good, period. There is a reason why he can get greenlight to shoot in a team that has 5 all stars. Some players may inflate their number in certain system, in Daniel's case, he play well in Dallas is more of his ability than system.

10. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

The Mooch comparisons are not fair.

He is a good 1-on-1 defensive player. He doesn't over dribble.
    He can drive or shoot the jumper, out to three point land.
    He's tall 6-6.
    He can play three positions.

Also

He made fewer rookie mistakes than Francis in THESE playoffs.
    He looks mean.

He's not the next Jordan, but he might take the "best undrafted player in modern NBA" title from Armstrong in a few years.

11. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

don't hate, congratulate...

elevate, hibernate, vegetate, eight

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I would much rather see Charlie Ward brought into the fold. Pass-first PG is what's on the wishlist, if I'm not mistaken.

Evan

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

They are when people suggest blowing the whole MLE on a player who has only shown flashes of being a good player in limited time.

14. amed

amed Contributing Member

and in your and Karl Malone's case it would be:

Hate and assassinate!