1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Those inmates are gonna build the prison wall and then run through it!” — Cal

2. conquistador#11

If the Jets take cal and jack, I'll be all over making a deal with the Jets.

mikol13 and J.R. like this.
  3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; I wasn't zeroed in specifically on Dusty Baker as much as a Dusty Baker-type: patient, experienced, leans player-friendly. Honestly, the ideal candidate is probably (a younger) Tony Dungy.

I agree - but I would argue that doesn't need to come from the head coach. In fact, I don't think it needs to come from the head coach at all (which is why I don't have a big problem with Caldwell/Frazier types). I lean defensive-minded - if I have to lean a way, the idea being a situation like Kubiak + Phillips: bring somebody in and give them autonomy to run the offense. I don't want another "offensive-minded" head coach who micromanages that side of the ball. Honestly, three of the best coaches from Reid's tree have not been offensive coaches. Harbaugh & Rivera have been the best; McDermott is on the list, now (and a perfect example of what I think we need - which is why I *really* like Eberflus). Nagy and Pederson have obviously had success - but both teams have kind of won leaning on defense or covering up bad QB play.

I think *the* most important element is a respected leader who can shape the locker room's culture and provide the right infrastructure for the team to succeed. I think they need to get over this idea that the *head* coach has to innovate and unlock the QB/offensive's potential (which is why, if this were a more competent leadership group, I'd want Watson to stay out of it and let them make the decision. Unfortunately, I think Watson might be the smartest one in the room).

UTSA2step likes this.
  4. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

The thing is... The Texans shouldn’t need a “Dusty Baker” type of coach to come in and do anything. The Astros situation was so different as players were being criticized for the sign stealing scandal and they needed a calming presence to help guide them through. That was understandable.

The Texans situation doesn’t fall on the players. It falls on the incompetence of ownership and the front office decisions which were made by those who were empowered by the incompetent owner. Pieces are already in place at some of the most important positions. “Tommy Boy” and the Easterbunny are the laughing stock of the entire NFL. Yet we aren’t laughing in Houston... because we’ve invested our time and money into this clown show which is turning into Lakewood church.

Give me Bienemy. Majority of the fan base has one foot out the door and if they botch this coaching hire, ownership and Easterbunny are literally pushing a huge chunk of the fan base out the door. Trading Deshaun would be the icing on the cake

UTSA2step and awc713 like this.
  5. Major

Major Member

I agree with that - but I think the head coach does need to be receptive to unleashing the offense. For example, Jeff Fisher is a defensive guy, but he absolutely wrecked his team's offenses with all of his philosophies. Caldwell sort of gives me that vibe, though that may not be fair.

I think there's also a big question with what the deal with Tim Kelly is. Is he really being retained regardless of head coach? If not, it's really crappy that they are denying him interview opportunities. If he is being retained, is he the genius to unleash Watson? If not, it does need to be the head coach, right?

CometsWin, desihooper and Hey Now! like this.
  6. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Cal would get absolutely destroyed if he went on Maury. Cal said Watson would be involved in the search for a general manager, the lie detector determined that was a lie. Cal said Easterby will no longer have any say in personnel decisions, the lie detector determined that was a lie. Cal said the next coach is not going to be an introvert, the lie detector determined that is a lie. I refuse to believe Cal is a true Houstonian. I don't care what his birth certificate says, that dude is from Dallas.

7. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

So Lions have announced they plan to trade Matthew Stanford this off-season. Perhaps they had been targeting Jets/Dolphins picks and are nervous sudden Deshaun move might affect their offseason plans? Lions hold #7 pick

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ns-have-only-themselves-to-blame-15893468.php

A month ago, I would have written that all the Texans had to do is get this hire right, then the noise would start to subside.

Now they could get it right and still lose Watson.

Only the Texans could fire their old King in October, finish 4-12, then still be searching for a new coach while the rest of the NFL waits for them to get it wrong. Again.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Old media

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. magman

magman Member

Really don't see what the Texans see in Frazier.... I mean in the football sense, I can totally see what Cal and Easterby see.

If he ends up being the choice.... ohh boy.

13. K1TCH3NS

K1TCH3NS Member

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I’m scared hope it isn’t Frazier unless Watson approves.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Ironically, the much-admired Tony Dungy is a man of very strong Christian faith. The intelligentsia around here must not be aware of this! Shhh, don't tell them.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Would be a tad embarrassing if Frazier’s defense gets torched by the Chiefs... which is entirely plausible.

Two Sandwiches and red5rocket like this.
  18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As I'm rooting for the Bills, I don't want them to. I kind of hope they do though.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

I think EB is going to get the gig...would make sense why nothing has been made official yet as the Chiefs are still playing.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member