1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. conquistador#11

Sarcasm? Sarcasm meter is down. Repeat down.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

McCown, 41, holds strong head coaching ambitions and multiple NFL teams have expressed interest in hiring him previously as an offensive coordinator, including the Philadelphia Eagles. McCown has previously coached only at the high school level, including coaching quarterbacks for his sons’ team at Myers Park High School in Charlotte, N.C.

Several former teammates have expressed support publicly and privately for McCown. The interview for the 18-year NFL player also drew some criticism on social media because of McCown’s coaching inexperience.

McCown built a strong rapport with quarterback Deshaun Watson last season after the Texans signed the oldest practice squad player in NFL history to a two-year, $2.125 million contract in November off the Eagles’ roster. McCown impressed the Texans this season with his knowledge of the game and leadership skills, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

McCown, who has practically operated as a player-coach in recent years with how he mentors fellow quarterbacks, is regarded as a rising star in the coaching profession with many league sources characterizing it as a matter of when, not if he’ll ultimately become an NFL head coach. That time might not necessarily be now, though, as the Texans’ search remains active and is expected to include additional second interviews.

Strong contenders for the Texans’ job include Caldwell, Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy and Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus. The candidates are discussing the Texans’ situation with several coaches who could potentially join them in Houston, if they’re hired, and lining up experienced staffing, according to league sources.

The Texans also have interviewed Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady, current Chargers coach Brandon Staley, former Bengals coach Marvin Lewis and Baltimore Ravens assistant head coach-receivers coach-passing game coordinator David Culley.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The waiting game sucks but if a decision hasn’t been made, waiting to have a sit down interview with Frazier and EB wouldn’t be the worst idea.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

likely talking about EB IMO. Hate this ****

gatsby and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I.... doubt it. I would guess it's a less-likely-to-hired candidate. Many of the responses are naming Hue Jackson.

This would be a bad look for EB, who 1) has a pretty important game to prepare for right now; 2) is still considered a viable candidate for the Texans.

It's EB *only* if the Texans have told him "no." But I think that would've leaked by now.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Don’t even report that ish if you’re not going to put a name behind it.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

For the new head coaches press conference , how deep are we going to get into it before the word faith is uttered? 30 seconds?

Buck Turgidson and Furious Jam like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

[Jim Caldwell/Leslie Frazier] is a great man of faith, a great leader of men. Players like him and respect him.

McClain: On the plane ride back, [Caldwell/Frazier] really connected with McNair, through their faith.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Texans clearly don't have an internal direction for its coaching search, but interviewing a current player [McCown] is unique even for Houston's standards.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

?????

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I would rather go with a wild card then Frazier or Caldwell

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

upload_2021-1-23_12-57-30.gif

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Honestly?... Under normal circumstances, I think either would be a good hire & would speak directly to Watson's concerns about leadership & direction. They would not move the needle with fans - but in terms of bringing credibility, stability, etc., back to a team that I would imagine BOB tore to shreds.... They're probably exactly what this team needs - a bit like Dusty Baker and the Astros.

Unfortunately, McNair/Easterby have earned zero benefit of the doubt on this front and I'd be unable to see this move as anything other than tied to their faith/religion bullshit and not to football acumen or preference.

Man, Cal McNair is just the worst.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya I don’t see EB or any other candidate still playing saying they need a mental break the day before a Conference Championship game.

16. Major

Major Member

I think expectations need to be higher than that - Dusty Baker is not what the Texans need. While they need to fix the underlying trust issues, you also have an elite and unique talent at QB. I think the goal has to be to find a coach that can unleash and maximize all that potential. It could be through an innovative OC (is Tim Kelly that??), but the head coach also has to have a "go for it all / outside of the box" mentality. I don't think either of those names screams that. Not sure if that's fair or not, but both strike me as the conservative types, which aren't likely going to maximize a Watson. I think you want a "we're going to try to revolutionize offense" type - the Reids, McVays, Joe Bradys, etc.

That said, if Watson is committed to leaving, none of that matters.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Since when has Hue Jackson been "mentioned for HC openings"?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Are they running through McNair’s newly built brick wall for Caldwell or Frazier? Or are they looking for a “calming presence”?

#2219 J.R., Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

So, that’s why they’re building the wall?

CometsWin and Rudyc281 like this.