1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Someone explain to me our "draft situation" this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by juanming, Jan 23, 2021.

1. juanming

juanming Member

Hi I'm new to the board , been looking for months

So here is the confusing part which I still cannot find an answer to that I'm going to run a couple scenarios and I want somebody to explain this to me

As far as I know are pick is our pick is top 4 protected, and that Oklahoma City gets the pick 2 out of the three best pics between (okc/hou/miami)

But then I have other posters telling me that we get the Miami pick

and that's why I am now making its thread I am so confused Miami looks like it is falling off a cliff they may not even make the playoffs

there's literally only one game separating the Rockets Oklahoma City and Miami as of right now

so I'm going to run through a couple scenarios and I need somebody to explain to me what you pick we get... And yes I know no matterno matter what what pick we get we get to swap with the Nets but the Nets look like they're going to have a better record than all three teams so... Here's the scenario

Let's say Miami misses The playoffs and wins the number one pick in the draft, do we still get the Miami pic or does Oklahoma City get to keep that number one pick from Miami?

Let's say somehow the Rockets LeapFrog and have a better record than Miami so the lotto outcome is

Okc #6, Mia #7 rockets #8

under this scenario the Rockets do not get the top 4 pick which means it goes to Oklahoma City but but yet Miami in Oklahoma City have the better pics in the rocket so does Oklahoma City get to pick all three picks for themselves??

Or do the Rockets get to keep their pick in this scenario even though we missed out on the top 4 pic?

or does Oklahoma City still get the number 6 and number 8 pick from Houston but then we get the number 7 pick from Miami???

The reason I'm so into this is because obviously our season is a lost cause so I'm finding more enjoyment watching the Heat and Nets fail because we get to choose the best pick between Heat and Nets

But like I said what if the heat win the lottery , and we missed out on a top 4 pic, do we get that miami pic or does Oklahoma City get that pic?

Thanks .

2. juanming

juanming Member

And yes I got my username from the movie Ted when The Neighbor broke in to Ted's apartment and and said my name is juanming

Deckard, Krizzle, Jayzers_100 and 3 others like this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The only thing bad that happens if we tank and get the 5th pick/it goes to okc/whatever is that we have to tank for another full season to really get a top flight pick/player.

saleem likes this.
  4. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

The Rockets get the best first round pick of the next two options:
    A) worst of Miami, OKC and Houston picks.
    B) nets pick.

in addition to potential Blazers (maybe) or Pistons (probably not) picks from other trades

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's how to look at it, in my opinion.

OKC owns two picks this year -- their own and Miami's. From the Chris Paul-Russell Westbrook trade, OKC has the right to swap either of those two picks with Houston's this year. So OKC gets the best two picks of OKC, Miami and Houston.

However, there is top 4 protection on that swap. So if the Rockets somehow land in the top 4 of the draft this year, those swap rights are extinguished and the Rockets keep their own pick.

From the Harden trade, the Rockets can swap with Brooklyn's first-round pick. This can be with any first round pick that the Rockets currently own -- whatever pick they end up with after OKC's swap, Portland's pick (Covington trade), Detroit's pick (Wood trade). The Nets swap this year is unlikely to be useful unless Portland finishes with a better record than Brooklyn.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m calling it now . We will be swapping the pistons pick with bkn this year :)

8. malakas

malakas Member

Oh I didn't know that. I thought it was only with our own pick.
    At least that's more useful. Thank you for explaining.

Good thread OP and welcome to the board.
    Not the best of times right now but everyone is welcome.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Here's the part that confuses me... if its ANY pick - why when faced with this option dont teams trade for the worst possible pick before invoking a swap?
    IE: Hypothetically, OKC ends up with 16 & 20 - The Rox end up with #12... so OKC is gonna swap...
    Why wouldnt they try to trade that #20 for #30 + another asset (like a protected future 2nd or something) and then give the Rox #30 for #12?

Am I understanding this correctly?

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So hypothetically, if the Nets finish lower than both OKC and Miami, but higher than Houston, Portland, and Detroit, then we can swap the swapped pick. right? What if OKC say, "After you"?

[​IMG]

11. jacoby

jacoby Member

I thought OKC can only swap their pick with ours. They can also swap Miami's with ours too? That's awful. I always figured OKC would finish the season with a worse record than us, but Miami will surely be better. So unless our pick is Top 4, we are likely losing our pick and getting a pick in the 20s from Miami?

That Westbrook trade makes me nauseous.

Highlyrated likes this.
  12. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

If we trade Tucker to a contender and get back a 2021 first rounder. And if the team he goes to finishes higher than Brooklyn this year, we’ll get Brooklyn’s pick, correct?

If that’s the case it’s not a bad idea to trade him to the stronger contenders for a potential FRP (without the pick swap with the Nets it’s certainly less compelling). I guess there is more clarity at the trade deadline.

13. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I don't think so. I believe what picks can be swapped is part the of swap right, and needs to be explicitly defined when the swap right is acquired. So whatever trades you do afterwards have no effect on the swap right. For example, OKC can't swap the GSW 2021 FRP they got from the Oubre trade with our pick.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So keep tanking right?

I’m reading pushback on that notion - a good portion of fans (mainly Reddit) wanting to make playoffs and just send OKC the mid first rounder and get it over with.

Trackwell and HP3 like this.
  15. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

That certainly makes sense. The Portland pick was part of the swap because it was traded before the Brooklyn deal and was included as part of the 2021 pick swap terms.

Trackwell likes this.
  16. vator

vator Contributing Member

Miami is at best a 6th seed in the Eastern Conference in my opinion unless they change the roster up. Losing Jae Crowder was a big loss for them. Say we somehow make the playoffs and OKC doesn’t, we’re practically swapping our pick with Miami’s? Is that right?

So unless we can tank all the way to the point where we can reasonably put ourselves in position for 1-4 which means being as bad or worse than teams like the Pistons, Wizards, and Timberwolves, doesn’t it make more sense to try to make the playoffs? You’re then maybe moving only a few slots at that point when considering I’d expect around 5 or more Western Conference teams to have a better record than Miami as well.

#16 vator, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    No Worries likes this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If we leave everything as it stands, if we made the playoffs, OKC don't get the mid first rounder. They get their pick and Miami's pick.

The swap isn't an ongoing obligation, it is an option. OKC gets the 2 best of our pick, their pick, and Miami's. We get the worst.
    We may as well tank to have the best chance at pick 1.
    Trade Oladipo Tucker and Gordon and go all in on the rebuild with a max FA, very high lotto pick, and Wood.
    We would still have useful pieces like Tate, Wall and House. And some emerging talent like Porter jr, Martin jr, Jones

I truly think the fastest way to a rebuild is to stink really bad straight away, gather a core and let them grow.

Verbal Christ and sydmill like this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We are at pick 4 right now
    We screwed up beating Detroit (Who wouldbhave thought Gordon delivers in the clutch instead of dribbling off his foot??). But lots of time to be bad still.

Plowman likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Let me make it simple:

OKC gets the two better picks of their own , Houston's and Miami's - Houston gets the worst of the three, unless its in the top 4.

Strangely enough , the OKC pick is currently the worst of the three. If the draft were held today OKC would get #5 from Houston and #9 from Miami & Houston would get #11 from OKC.

Odds are that the Rockets will end up with the Miami pick , they are better than their record reflects and I don't believe OKC is consistent thru the end of the season.

malakas likes this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

W H A T ? !