1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

2. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

... from memory for Pfz/Bio... started off at 82% after 10-14 days and drifted down to 53%. They didn't capture data after the gap.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Dream Sequence and B-Bob like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

UK variant likely more deadly, but TBD formally.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Another big day of vaccinations at around 1.4 million doses given.

Over the past 2 days we've done roughly 3 million doses and delivered about 3.45 million doses.

Alaska is the first state to hit 10% of their population receiving 1 dose with West Virginia 2nd at 8.8%. Texas is at 5.1% and 1.47 million people with 1 dose.

The entire US has 17.4 million with 1 dose and 3 million with 2 doses.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Based on the trajectory of this (with J&J coming online and hopefully a few doses of the Oxford vaccine coming) it seems that covid might be pretty heavily dampened in for the US by the end of Feb. By the end of March covid should effectively be isolated to the younger populations and groups who refuse vaccination.

9. red

red Contributing Member

got the 2nd dose of the pfizer vax about a week ago. about 12 hours later got all of the side effects for about 8 hours. headache, chills, sweats, body aches, and fever. feel fine now. so im about a day away from immunity and will look forward to gargling hooker spit again.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is definitely something I needed a visual of.

RKREBORN likes this.
  11. SuraGotMadHops

So Biden said over and over during his campaign that he had a Covid plan, only to say now there's nothing he can do to curtail the spread. Meanwhile Dem lead cities are lifting their indoor dining bans.

I guess he's just going to ride the vaccine wave DJT spearheaded.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Amiga and Ubiquitin like this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you deliberately ignoring the COVID related XOs Biden has signed and the COVID related money in the stimulus plan he wants to pass or are you being wilfully ignorant?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This will be the big test for J&J if they can meet their stated goals. They've had some major delays and it will be pretty stellar if they can deliver 12 million doses by the end of Feb.

Johnson & Johnson eyes 100M COVID-19 vaccines for US by April

https://nypost.com/2021/01/22/johnson-johnson-eyes-100-million-covid-vaccines-by-april/

The New Jersey-based drugmaker is “going all out with its production” while it awaits results from a large-scale clinical trial that could allow the shot to be approved for emergency use in the coming weeks, according to Dr. Mark McClellan, a J&J board member and former Food and Drug Administration commissioner.

“I do know that J&J is making a very large supply … with the goal of having perhaps enough vaccines for 100 million Americans by spring, by this April or so,” McClellan told CNBC Thursday evening. “That’s going to make a big difference in supply availability over the coming weeks and months if the trial does work out.”

J&J expects to release data late this month from the Phase 3 trial of its single-dose coronavirus vaccine, which was shown to generate an immune response to COVID-19 in an early-stage study.

The company will then seek an emergency use authorization from the FDA, which would allow it to be administered across the country like the existing shots from Pfizer and Moderna.

But the pharma firm has reportedly grappled with production snags that caused it to fall behind on its goal of making 12 million doses available by the end of February. J&J has nevertheless said it’s “confident” that it will be able to meet its supply commitments this year.

While vaccine supplies in general will be growing, it will be tough to “keep up with the large number of Americans who really want to get vaccinated now,” McClellan said.

Amiga and B-Bob like this.
  15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Got my second shot yesterday. Boy this one was tough, chills, weakness, I wanted to sleep all day.

Amiga, B-Bob and Ubiquitin like this.
  16. SuraGotMadHops

Biden's words, not mine.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

These are Biden's words?

I guess he's just going to ride the vaccine wave DJT spearheaded.

Do you not see that he is not just sitting around?

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, they have been talking about these vaccines being less effective against these new mutated strains from the UK and South Africa. They were also saying the vaccines could be rather easily modified to account for them. Does that mean everyone getting vaccine shots now need to get these newer doses or else they lose a fair amount of protection? This is looking like an annual thing more and more.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I believe if it keeps mutating, we'll have to get newer/modified vaccines but from what I understand, unless it completely changes, the modifications would be easier to produce than the original vaccine (someone with better knowledge please correct me if that's wrong). And there's a yearly flu vaccine we have to take, so that's not something new. I think they're still waiting to find out if COVID-19 fizzles out or hangs around with us "forever" like the flu. Of course the flu has a "flu season" and doesn't turn into a pandemic that's year-round from the looks of it.

Pringles and Ubiquitin like this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Any links discussing that? I haven’t heard they were less effective yet. Certainly possible booster shots could be needed but I don’t think they’ve seen any issues yet.