1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suicide Bombings in Baghdad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SuraGotMadHops, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

Don't you think that would, possibly, color their view of the US and Trump?

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  2. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Well Iraqis matter too. No one can help where or who they are when born. That region has faced so much bombing tragedies on a regular basis that there 4 year old girls in constant "shaking screaming trauma". It's worse than anything going on anywhere in North America.

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The timing of this very likely was a message from ISIS to the new President. I will also point out that the last President by redeploying US troops working with Kurds ended up allowing thousands of ISIS fighters held by the Kurds to escape.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is a common tactic by insurgent forces. In Afghanistan, escalation of attacks by insurgent forces in a given area of operation always happens during the transition process between changing of units. The insurgent forces believe this is when we are most vulnerable. The vast majority of our casualties in my unit occured in the first month of our 7th month deployment.

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I was in Egypt last December and I didn't get the impression they were fans of Trump. We were once stopped and questioned by a Colonel of the Egyptian military and our driver told us that many Egyptians are very uneasy about Americans because of Trump..

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes. They are reminding the new administration that they are still there and testing them.

7. malakas

malakas Member

I tell you this guy is full of BS when he says most Egyptians and Copts love Trump and only speaks for himself.

You are more likely to be laughed at your face to have voted for him.
    In fact when people learn that you are american the first thing they are likely to do is ask why you voted for Trump and if your people turned temporarily insane.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

What are you talking about?

The forced islamisation and arabisation of Iran and Egypt have nothing to do with the Anglo world.

These people, the Copts have been prosecuted almost to extermination by the Arab Egyptians LONG BEFORE Egypt was occupied by the British Empire.
    That didn't start in the last century. More like from before the Middle Ages.

I do not blame him one bit if he hates Muslims and Arabs.
    It's not my daughter or mother who was abducted and raped by Arabs. Or my house that was burned down.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Common knowledge to anyone except the inbred dimb**** that started this thread. I thought it was just stupidity but they elected the dude that made all this happen. And then they’re too stupid to even see it

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

To be logically consistent you wouldn't blame Palestinians for hating Jews?

I mean I'll consistently say that in both cases, I can blame someone for hating an entire religous group.

11. malakas

malakas Member

no of course I do not blame Palestinians for hating Israelites.
    Why should I? When they have been left to starve to death, their houses demolished and land being taken away?

I understand the hatred. They have suffered and are victims.

That doesn't justify terrorism, fascism or white supremacy.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Also to be very clear when it comes to both the Palestinians and the Copts the religious and ethnic prosecution is not ancient history.
    It is ongoing right now.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’ve talked to people somewhere between a decent amount and sparingly over the years about Bush/Obama/Trump when traveling out of the US. It’s almost always them asking as far as I remember.

The guy I brought up earlier the cab driver was seemingly cool. And then on the way to the airport he got into a road rage incident. The guy was ahead and complained to the airport guards stopped both cars and I had to give some kind of statement. I was a little scared while it happened but then when we stopped I was ok because I was so early for my flight.

Anyways I traveled twice to three continents during trumps term I don’t remember anyone saying anything positive about him. I do recall people that liked bush and obama. There is a reason he is the lowest polling prez in US history. And his supporters are always so flabbergasted as to why people don’t like him. Look at the numbers. He lost the popular vote twice to a horrible candidate and a very average one that is ancient.

rocketsjudoka, Andre0087 and malakas like this.
  14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Egypt has been conquered and ruled over by external peoples several times over since its zenith several thousand years ago. Iran too except its zenith was a little over 2300 years ago.

The Arabs have not ruled over either country for 800 years. Egyptians themselves Arabized to gain prominence in the early Arab empires and now they're one of the dominant outlets for modern Arabic culture. This is the exact phenomenon that lead to the Romanization of the various kingdoms throughout Europe and is why the descendants of the Franks speak latin based French instead of german based Frankish or the Iberians speak latin based Spanish instead of Iberian.

The Iranians incompletely resisted Arabization. They adopted the script and ultimately became champions of shia islam, but they kept their language which is a huge deal culturally. Groups that conquered Iran generally became Persianized rather than replacing the existing culture. See the Greeks, Arabs, and Turks/Mongols who all ruled over Greater Iran following the Achaemenid Empire.

But neither historical context explains why these two former great empires could not become eminent powers in the present.

In 1700, the so called Islamic gunpowder empires (Ottoman/Turkey, Safavid/Iran and Mughal/India) were on par power and prestige wise as the various European powers. But the divergence during the 1700 and 1800s was fueled by colonial expansion by European powers driven by industrialization. Specifically, the European powers needed raw inputs to fuel their ever growing economic machines and they needed more powerful militaries to maintain their territories. This is neither a condemnation nor condoning of Western colonialism, but the process led to the anglo world order that we live in today. The UK went to great lengths to protect its economic interests whether it was the Suez Canal in the 1800s or securing oil in the 1900s with the Anglo-Persian Oil company. While Western colonialism was justified using various Christian theories, there is no reason why Islamic versions of those same theories could not have been used if the Gunpowder empires were the ones colonizing the world instead. The issue in these countries today is not their religion (forms of Islam) or their levels of Arabization (fully Arabized for Egypt or partly for Iran), its their position on the global pecking order. Greece is not weak because the Greeks follow Christianity instead of Olympianism.

It's true that monotheistic faiths are quite intolerant of other faiths to the point of genocide, especially compared to polytheistic peoples but polytheistic peoples today (e.g. Hinduvata) are just as intolerant of Abrahamic monotheistic faiths as well. We can let religion divide us or look reasons beyond to bind us (animosity between catholics vs protestants historically compared to today). We have a word for throwing people out the window, defenestration https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestration, because of the hatred catholics and protestants had for each other historically. Jewish people have been scapegoated for millennia by Christians and Muslims. Yet all three groups share the same religious mythologies.

Cultures rise and fall. But holding grudges for the deeds and misdeeds of our ancestors is unproductive and certainly not a reason to support Trumpism unless you're otherwise wholly committed to social darwinism and all the baggage associated with it.

15. Buck Turgidson

I do the exact same. It's amazing what you can learn by not talking, then asking questions and listening.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Many Coptic Egyptians are still angry at what transpired in 2011 and 2013 in Egypt and blame the Obama administration and by proxy democrats. As a result many have supported Trump over Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden.

The Arab Spring has not sat well with Egyptian and Syrian Christians. Muslims in Egypt destroyed 1500 year old churches, raped and enslaved Coptic women and girls and killed Coptics. It was a disaster.

Also Coptics in Egypt have a history of supporting authoritarian rulers. Coptics are treated horribly in Egypt and the Muslim Brotherhood is especially bad. With that in mind it isn’t surprising that many Coptics would support Trump’s Muslim travel ban and other policies.

17. Nook

Nook Member

This, Muslims have treated Christians in the Middle East horribly, specifically Coptics in this case...

AleksandarN and Ubiquitin like this.
  18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the late Jamal Khashoggi:

“Opinion by
    Jamal Khashoggi
    August 28, 2018 at 3:26 p.m. EDT

During the Obama presidency, the U.S. administration was wary of the Muslim Brotherhood, which had come to power in Egypt after the country’s first-ever free elections. Despite his declared support for democracy and change in the Arab world in the wake of the Arab Spring, then-President Barack Obama did not take a strong position and reject the coup against President-elect Mohamed Morsi. The coup, as we know, led to the military’s return to power in the largest Arab country — along with tyranny, repression, corruption and mismanagement.”

Egyptian Muslims felt emboldened to target Egyptian non-Muslims as law and order broke down in the wake of Mubarak's ouster and Egypt’s brief foray in direct representation. Things remained dangerous following the military coup.

But look across the world and you will see that sectarian conflicts are driven by any measurable difference between the majority and a minority group, and these conflicts are not universally a Muslim vs non-Muslim conflict. Egyptian Copts want to be allowed to prosper and follow their own laws, not subjugate the muslim majority. Frankly our policy under Biden should be to support them and other at risk minorities across the globe.

Ironically, supporting Trumps vision for America is the same as supporting the Muslim brotherhood or the Ayatollahs despite Trump and his core’s open hatred for Muslims.

Nook likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

One of the oddities of the Middle East has been that authoritarian regimes have often treated religious and ethnic minorities much better than popular uprisings. For how bad the Baath Party was in Iraq and Syria they protected minorities and even gave them prominent places in their governments. Tarqi Aziz who was Saddam's foreign minister was a Christian and the Al-Assad family in Syria are from the Alawite minority.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Agreed with the bold.

But holding grudges for the deeds of our ancestors?
    They don't have to do it. Their fellow citizens do plenty of deeds and misdeeds right now with the silent consent of the police.
    The persecution of christian Egyptians is not over and a thing of the past.
    It is a daily SYSTEMIC occurence.
    Be it arson, theft of property, rapes, murder, forced marriage of underage christian girls.

I haven't studied modern egyptian history but I don't think that it's fair to say that the arabisation of Egypt was voluntarily since it was built on the murders of millions of ..infidels.
    How is that voluntary?If you don't become muslim you die.

As for the western colonisation all these eastern empires were brutal colonisers too.
    They murdered us, abducted our boys to make them boy soldiers and raped and sold the women.

And for the Ottoman empire that I have actually studied in school,
    it was the West itself with Meternich at the lead of the coalition, at the helm of the Austrohungarian empire who helped suppress most of the national revolutions of the enslaved nations in the 1700 and early 1800s.

They tried to protect and stop the fire of the weak man of Europe because they were afraid that it would lead to the revolution of the nations they had enslaved in their own empires.
    Until they couldn't anymore so they decided to chop of the dead body and eat as much as they could.

The Ottoman empire was no innocent victim of the Western colonisers. They were murderers thieves and slave owners.

According to the logic of your post because the christian balkan nations were enslaved for almost 500 years and they were in the minority in an empire they shouldn't rise up or feel hatred but accept the situation and decide to coexist in peace with the murderers of their fathers?