1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California man blasts Texas 'dystopia' after moving to Austin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jan 21, 2021.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HA, I had forgotten about that. Back when people were excited by the idea of a celebrity sighting in Austin.

tinman likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There have been other times in the past when the housing market was extremely tight in the areas where “everyone” wants to live, exactly as you describe it. Heck, over twenty years ago we attempted to get a place in and around central Austin and the competitiveness for properties was ridiculous. Location is everything here. The only way to get a house was to get lucky, as you did, yet compared to today, the prices were fantastically low. They didn’t seem low at the time, however, and they weren’t. Just low in comparison. We ended up buying the house we live in now in SW Austin, paid for years ago, thank god. Great schools, safe neighborhoods, a good investment. Yet I still sometimes wish we’d looked longer before “settling” for what we have now. Having a kid complicated things immensely. They tend to do that. ;-)

People think that they would be foolish to buy, that it’s a housing “bubble” that’ll pop and both prices and availability with return to some semblance of “normal,” given time. Yes, there will be some ups and downs, with housing overbuilt and the market saturated. It’s happened time and again here, but as someone who moved to Austin in 1980, my experience is that when the market becomes tight again because the builders quit building, a large corporation or two will relocate here paying good salaries, the area and lifestyle remains a pull, and availability become crazy tight again.

What makes the market so hot today and complicates things dramatically is that you have a combination of historically low interest rates and an enormous number of people, primarily from out of state, coming to Austin from places where what we might consider high prices for real estate, they believe are bargains. Again, this has happened before, but not on this scale, in my opinion. Add the fact that Austin has tripled, probably quadrupled in size since we’ve been here, backfilling “central” areas that used to be far more available, the suburbs have been pushed out, and then pushed out again. Bee Cave becomes a hot area again, with a much higher baseline from which home prices rise. Crazy!

tinman and mtbrays like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure why there were multiple news articles written about a butthurt Californian. Millions of people live by choice in both these states. Why would anyone care that someone chose one over another?

Ubiquitin and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This sounds like something someone from Oklahoma would say.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I say this as a fully redblooded Texan...Eastern Oklahoma is nice.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yes Bee Caves is expensive but I was kind of grouping everything south of Lake Austin including Westlake, Bee Caves since they are all off of Bee Caves Rd.

Deckard likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

USER BANNED

8. Buck Turgidson

This was not unexpected.

The Ozarks, White River (Arkansas side too), etc, if you like the outdoors close to a city...

Tulsa reminds me of what Austin was like 20 years ago.

9. KingCheetah

Yep America is beautiful they even made a song about it.

10. Buck Turgidson

I'm not sure this is your land

Ubiquitin likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

Petit Jean has my back.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Good call!

This land is indeed made for you and me.

KingCheetah likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It is a very lush and nice hilly country, with lots of trees.

The problem is the extreme poverty (and all the entails) and nasty coal/oil/gas industries that pollute the land/water. They don't call it mercury alley for nothing.

It certainly is affordable, though, but at what cost?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

True, and it all depends on where you're at, and I didn't say I wanted to go live there, just that it doesn't suck.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2019/jul/20/mine-pollution-ruling-favors-u-s-201907/

Oh...and...https://www.keranews.org/texas-news...ts-leaching-toxic-pollutants-into-groundwater

Guess you're upstream from that one though, or you'd be more upset.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Really? I have a problem imagining anything in OK as progressive and cool as Austin 20 years ago. Or even now.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Tulsa is a good town. Admittedly I've only been there with expat local guides

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I am gobsmacked. Gobsmacked, I tell you! I am utterly astonished. Astounded! I have been to Tulsa. I admit it, although it shames me to do so. I also gladly admit to having lived in Austin these last 40 years and Tulsa, sir, is no Austin, Texas.

(it really isn’t! The city is in Oklahoma. I looked at a map!)

tinman likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

I imagine Tulsa's changed a bit since 1967.

19. KingCheetah

I don't speak Old English what does that mean?

20. Buck Turgidson

How many huffs off a bottle of Old English floor cleaner does it take to transport you back to the Good Austin? The world may never know.