1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Still sad to see this team go downhill so fast...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jan 20, 2021.

1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Oladipo and PJ for Herro and Precious
    EG for Collins(Atl)

Walls
    Herro
    Tate
    Collins
    Woods

If we keep this team together we can win a championship

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. . .I had to Good Precious. . . .cause I thought it was a nick name
    Clutchfans had given someone . . .
    but no . .. .real name . .. Precious Achiuwa
    lol .. . . .

Rocket River

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Rocket fans waiting for another championship. It's only been a quarter of a century.

[​IMG]

BossHogg713 likes this.
  4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This is just silly.

6. Milos

Milos Member

Absolutely
    I think we agree it's not worth the price to move Wall, and that moving Wood now may be selling low, so it's probably those 2 leading the way next 2-3 years

I genuinely struggle to see anything more than 2nd Rd picks and salary filler coming back for the other 3

I could see a contender adding Boogie for 10 MPG since he's cheap and expiring
    Then again, his production has been so awful, contenders may not consider his attitude worth his talent any more
    Maybe a future 2RP or a flier on a dissappointing rookie deal?

I heard somebody on 790 mention a rumor that the ask on PJ is 3 F2RPs
    Hard to imagine a team like DEN wouldn't pony up at least a heavily protected F1RP to have PJ guarding LBJ, LeBron, etc in playoffs
    If Ariza's corpse can net one of those, PJ has to be worth at least as much

Those are the expirings (easy to move) ...
    I have no idea what the league-wide value on Gordon would be

On one hand, you could be adding a major upgrade as 6th man, 3rd combo G that can impact both ends and maybe win you a playoff game if he gets hot (suck it j*zz)

On the other hand, you're locking in for 3 years at starter money on an injury-prone, over 30 'shooter' who usually hovers around league avg (35%) from 3

Honestly asking ...
    As a starting 2guard, is EGo on his current deal the worst value among the 30 starting shooting guards?

There are worse players, more expensive, older, more injury prone, more inconsistent, etc ...
    But is there a worse combination in terms of value currently starting at 2G?
    Maybe Gary Harris?
    I'm struggling to find another comp ...

#126 Milos, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  7. Milos

Milos Member

Absolutely zero chance MIA moves Herro, Nunn, Precious or any young rotation players with upside to have Dipo a few months earlier

Not when they can sign him in FA and lose nobody this summer

Olynik's expiring, Avery Bradley, protected F1RP seems reasonable for the slightly better chance at a ring this season by adding Dipo now

Same for ATL

I know they just lost Bogdanovic, but it's not like they are lacking for backcourt options to pick up the slack
    EGo would struggle to see the court in a back court with Trae, Reddish, Huerter, Rondo, Dunn ... and Bogdon will return next year

They would have major buyer's remorse in a year or 2 paying Gordon while trying to keep their young core together

I also know Collins is not part of the future anymore, but somebody will make a better offer than EGo for him

He's a guy I would consider worth a look as a long-term piece
    Collins + Wood would give us a pair of young, athletic rim runners who can board and shoot from deep
    Defensively .... well ... young stud bigs with no glaring holes typically don't hit the market coming off rookie contracts

PJ is probably our best chance at him, but again, Collins would be an upgrade as starting PF for at least 20 teams

Realistically Tony Snell's expiring alone would be doing us a big favor

#127 Milos, Jan 22, 2021
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

It couldn’t last forever. Those 4 years were special. I still mostly blame Morey for everything. Once his small ball experiment failed he left town knowing he had traded away all of our assets for the future and the likelihood of Harden leaving. He knew Rockets window had probably closed and jumped ship. He calculated that he would be able to lure harden away with his and MDA’s departure playing a vital role in this. There might have been a glimmer of hope that Harden stays of Morey is still here. But in the end here we are. All good things come to an end. Time to look forward.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It couldn't last forever, but it certainly could have lasted much longer if not for the embarrassing Westbrook trade

Stephen_A likes this.
  10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Or if Harden did not demand a trade unless the Rockets brought his boy Westbrook here they wouldn't have had to force a trade. Morey's mistake was not trading Harden a year before bringing in Westbrook.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sad? **** NO!!!!

This is exciting, most of us KNEW that the team with Harden as leader was NEVER going anywhere and winning in the regular season is meaningless.

Once we traded CP3 it was over...his window shut.

I am THRILLED we are churning the roster - to try to get a championship team back.

GO ROCKETS !!!

DD

javal_lon and Milos like this.
  12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yeah because CP3 has so many rings. That’s funny. The team is just a bad team with or without Harden. With Tillman tightening the purse strings it was time to start over.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CP3 alone can't do it, you are right, but with Harden and CP3 it was a perfect fit for our team, CP3 protected the ball - Harden didn't.....CP3 played great on the ball defense - Harden sort of didn't........CP3 could catch and shoot - great for Harden's passes........We had an elite passer/playmaker on the floor for 48 minutes....and together we had 2 - and both could catch and shoot from 3 on in.

It was a PERFECT fit....

57-3 with Cp3, Capela and Harden.....is hard to beat.

DD

javal_lon likes this.
  14. Milos

Milos Member

CP3 & Harden were both miscast as leading men when both were better suited as second leads

The Hall of Fame is full of them
    It is also full of guys who were dramatically inferior as individual players, but found their way into a situation where team success punched their ticket to titles

Some stars are lucky enough to play their entire careers in their proper roles and never get labeled as 'chokers' while piling up rings next to a better player like McHale, Worthy, Pippen, Klay

Others are miscast initially and spend the bulk of their careers falling just short of the trophy, then finally win once paired with a better teammate like Clyde, Admiral, Gasol, Kidd, Lowry

Then there is a third group who never get the chance to play with a better teammate until past their primes (or ever) and retire without a ring like Dominique, Ewing, Barkley, Mailman, Payton

I don't think McHale was better than Malone
    I don't think Lowry is better than The Glove
    I know Bird was better than Stockton, just as Kawhi is better than Kemp
    Thus the difference between a 'loser' and a 'winner'

I am pretty confident Tony Parker and Manu would have struggled to consistently even make the playoffs if either were expected to carry teams the way Harden and Paul have been
    Instead, they were fortunate to spend their entire careers playing with Duncan and for Pop
    As a result, both have 4 rings that got them into the Hall of Fame

If either spent their entire careers leading the Kings or Hornets, I seriously doubt either would have a chance at the Hall
    Parker had his 1 MVP-caliber season (so did Boston Isiah Thomas), and Manu was clutch off the bench, but I'm not sure either was ever a Top 20 player overall at any point in their careers, much less spending a decade as THE BEST at their respective positions

Of the dozen+ listed above, I'm not sure exactly where Harden or Paul slot in, but both spent the better part of a decade as the premier players at their respective positions

While his scoring prowess, durability and consistency stack up against anyone to ever play the game, Harden's shortcomings (defensive effort, offcourt leadership, clutch factor) prevented him from leading any of his teams to the mountaintop

Conversely, Paul's excellence as a leader, defender, and playmaker were not enough to overcome his myriad injuries and his own penchant to shrink up in the biggest moments

Sadly, it appears CP3 will never get a chance to get his unless Booker starts winning MVPs

Maybe Harden can get one now that he's playing with Durant again
    If OKC hadn't been so foolish as to choose paying Ibaka over Harden, maybe the Thunder would have become a dynasty instead of the Warriors
    We might all be talking about the notorious loser Steph Curry, and how he could never compare to the winner Harden and all his rings

#134 Milos, Jan 22, 2021
    hakeem94 and DaDakota like this.
  15. Milos

Milos Member

Also ...

What if Stern hadn't vetoed that Lakers - Rockets - Pelicans trade??

Maybe CP3 gets a ring or 2 playing next to Kobe?
    Mamba surpasses Jordan's 6 rings and makes it a legit 3way battle for GOAT with MJ & LeBron
    Paul's choker label is gone forever just like Elway & Kershaw

We definitely do not have the ammo to trade for Harden
    Instead we get to watch Gasol slowly fade away and miss out on the second greatest Rocket altogether
    We lose in the 1st round as 8th seed for 9 straight seasons as Morey preserves his precious flexibility in perpetual search for his '3 & Free' muse

Perhaps somebody else deals for Harden?

Maybe LeBron never goes to MIA and instead orchestrates a deal to bring Harden and Bosh to CLE?
    Harden dominates just as he has here, but this time as LeBron's sidekick instead of DWade/Kyrie
    CLE makes 10 straight Finals, winning 5 titles along the way, and Harden is now lauded as the ultimate team player and winner

Maybe sophomore Klay is dealt for him instead, and Harden wins 75 (and multiple titles) next to Curry?
    The debate becomes who is the true alpha, Steph or James
    Or James wins 4 MVPs and gets all the credit, while Steph settles in as his Klay

So many potential variables
    Multiple legacies radically redefined simply thru circumstance
    Yet the talent / personality / production of each player remains the same
    Only perception changes

All because of 1 trade that never happened
    Dems da breaks

#135 Milos, Jan 22, 2021