1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr traded to the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jan 21, 2021.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Innocent until proven guilt is a legal phrase. No one here is suggesting he should be in prison.

You can pretend he's a straight arrow if that makes you feel good I guess, but it's just flat out false. He's got a lot of problems to work through. Hopefully the Rockets are the team that makes it work for him.

I'll hope for the best like I said.

slothy420 likes this.
  2. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Agree. I'm starting to think, I know John Lucas works on troubled athletes .... but can we remember one he's actually helped and still had a career? I can't think of any.

corrado and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I knew it's about assets given up, but I was thinking about lockerroom disruption and distraction. I mean, there's a reason why the Cavs were ready to waive a talented guy like that if no team wanted to give a protected second rounder for him. If it's not high risk to keep the guy, why give him up for nothing?

But you are right. We are tanking. So anything bad is good. :D

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

5. TimDuncanDonaut

Boogie was also said to be a no risk signing (which i agree). But as soon as he doesn't play well, you see pitchforks here all over. If KPJ don't play well, it's going to be the same.

Difference in real life is, I don't see Boogie publicly complaining about minutes or acting up. Been pretty much a model citizen here. No idea what this kid is going to do.

#345 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Some encouraging stats for KPJ the player:

Hit 72% at the rim last season
    42% on corner 3s
    41% on catch and shoot 3s

I don’t see any big red flags on shooting.

Positive defensive win share as a rookie wing. That’s a good sign.

The tools to be a star are there.

joshuaao, hakeem94 and jakedasnake like this.
  7. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

This was from a few months ago.

Cole Anthony vs Kevin Porter 1 on 1

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Looking at his numbers I’d say the biggest red flag so far is over 20% of his shots have been mid range jumpers and he has shot under 30% on those shots. Has to change that shot selection or his efficiency will always be subpar.

finsraider and justtxyank like this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, I totally agree with some risk always with bad apples, even significant. i was making special exception to us, since we're tanking, and don't really even have other young keepers who we might worry about being tainted....like CLE does in several recent lotto picks.

For them, makes sense to weed-out bad apples as drawing a line of accountability in the ledger. But for Rox, we don't care about cancer, atm.

Easy and BossHogg713 like this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This organization needs to remember the lessons of Morey and start drilling this right away. Christian Wood already takes too many long 2s that are dreadful. John Wall can't be changed but the guys in their mid 20s just can't be taking these bad middies.

ElPigto and jakedasnake like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

your delusion about analytics is getting near LOF delusion

Htown's Finest and BossHogg713 like this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Based on this post I’d question your understanding of the definition of delusion AND analytics.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. mightybosstone

That being said, his overall shooting efficiency last season (53.5%) is pretty solid for a rookie, if albeit still a little below average. It feels like most rookie guards and wings come in shooting like 40-42% from the floor and struggle from 3, so for Porter to already hit 44+% from the floor as a rookie with an average mark from the free throw line and at least 33+% from the 3-point line is really promising.

Htown's Finest and hakeem94 like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Innocent until proven guilty means just because some random skank off the streets says a nba player punched her in the face to try to get some money or ruin the guys life, doesn't make it actually true. It needs to be proven in a court of law, which in this case it was not, making him - innocent.

mar1juana and firearms are also legal in the United States under certain circumstances, which again in his case were determined to be the case.

"Charges" do not equate to "guilt", but the Cleveland cavaliers certainly have no problem making that association, it seems they are more interested in preserving their own image and perception than the pursuit of truth and the interests of this 20 year old kid.

We know that kpj is from a bad neighborhood, brought up in a bad life style, and has had issues with prior teams which we don't know the details to. Now it seems like he is being put into that box and thrown under the bus no matter the validity of "Charges". I would be pretty pissed too if I was proven innocent and the team still doesn't allow me to play, disrespects me, just to uphold their own image.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I like this trade, but I hope we are quick to dump the guy if he proves to be an issue. I don't want us to hold on to him for too long if he's just negative to our team. Sometimes guys need multiple years to grow up or better themselves - maybe some time in an overseas league or something. So as long as we're quick to cut bait, I like this deal.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Agreed. Lots of really positive markers. But it won’t matter if he continues to shoot under 30% on over 20% of his shot attempts. Maybe he turns into a CP3 level midrange master and he can continue to take a gigantic number of mid range shots, but for NOW it is the one facet that is killing his efficiency.

18. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

He is definitely a bigger guard. Might be able to play him at SF some? He makes Anthony look small and Anthony is a 6' 3" guard but Porter looks taller and thiccer.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You don't have to drill ppl to stop taking long-range 2s.
    You do have to drill defenses to try to force teams to take them, though.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree. He built his game based on Harden, so I would think he could be persuaded to look at efficiency as much as Harden did.

I don’t worry too much when I see this from a rookie. Now if he’s still doing that a year from now, that would be concerning.