1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California man blasts Texas 'dystopia' after moving to Austin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jan 21, 2021.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Bee caves is like the most expensive part of austin. It's like moving river oaks, and complaining about costs. That being said, Austin is crazy expensive these days. Hard to get a nice place here for under a half million.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's really that expensive? That's like Boston metro bad.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Is Bee Cave expensive? Not compared to these areas . . . Tarrytown, Old West Austin, the different areas of Westlake, of course, Barton Creek, the Mt. Bonnell area. Bouldin Creek/Travis Heights, Hyde Park. Those, and some I'm forgetting. Several of those neighborhoods used to be really inexpensive. I lived in a couple of them when we were renting in the '80's and had friends living in really cool parts of town in the '60's and '70's that I visited from Houston. Neighborhoods that are crazy expensive today. Your point is well taken, however. Austin, at least for Texas, has become very expensive.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ahhh
    He got some cedar fever ??

5. tinman

Supporting Member

I met up with some friends who moved to lakeway.
    Deck, it’s way more populated then back in the Mack brown era

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude the realtors have turned into wolves in Austin.
    Last year I was at friends place who had realtor friends , someone tried to selling me a ranch in dripping springs.
    Yo ease up realtors. I ain’t Elon

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

the only places I’d want to live in in TX are Austin or Houston and it’s surrounding suburbs (I live in Sugar Land)

As for the rest?

[​IMG]

A place like San Antonio gets a hell no from me. All these little towns? No way

fchowd0311 and Ubiquitin like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I liked Dallas's weather the most among Texas cities. Hot was...hot.

Their freeways and public rail is better too.

I worked in Plano so I didn't get a great vibe of the city itself... The heat, cars, and food made me gain fifteen pounds in the year I worked there.
    Dude, Austin has something for everyone all year round.

He's a bit stuck up and over entitled. One of his complaints is Yelp not having good reviews. That happens everywhere...Try scanning for the less fluffy reviews Yelp encourages their "elite" to churn out. Also look at pictures rather than the "experience"

I dunno. I lived in Austin ten years ago, and it's changed twice as fast as the ten years before it. Real estate gone wild in the last three years.

Good luck for anyone joining in on that, though if you have big money to tear something down and build up near campus or the capital, it'll certainly give back big returns in less than five years

9. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Austin has always been better 5 years ago.

gifford1967, Blake, rockbox and 2 others like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh dude I know about the cedar fever very well.
    But when I was up in lakeway people were driving Audi R8s instead of pickups
    Times have changed

dachuda86 likes this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

End thread.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^ While driving 85 on 290

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If I moved back to Texas I'd probably pick a suburb of Dallas.

Unless you're young and single moving to Austin seems like stepping on a rake at this point. If you're not out of there by the time you're 30 you are doing it wrong.

Houston, I love you, but humans were not meant to live in a place where the water level never recedes and when it does its because the annual 100 year storm is barreling towards your face.

tinman likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

USER HAS BEEN BANNED

dachuda86 and Ubiquitin like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

*20 years ago, but point taken.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

@Deckard

some of the folk here don't know what's been going on for the last 10 years in Austin

A bunch of california people outbidding each other by 50K for property in East Austin so they can park their audis and walk across 35 to see Chappelle at Stubbs.

And a whole bunch of random LA people are Austin residents
    @fchowd0311

Deckard likes this.
  17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not just east Austin, it's all over town. My wife and I bought a home in central Austin last spring and the house-hunting process was absurd. We got very lucky with our seller taking his house off the market and accepting our bid without any competition. We lost every other offer we made by tens of thousands to people who were waiving appraisals and inspections. Houses were on the market for less than 48 hours in most cases. It's an outrageous state of affairs in Austin.

tinman likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

@Deckard
    These people don't understand that when all these music and celebrity people show up in Austin for SXSW every year, they get that idea in their head that they can live here.
    Then you add on the Tech People who fly in from their Cali headquarters and realize their Texas counterparts have two car garages and they have to pay $500 to park in a city garage back in the Sil Valley.
    Then you got Dallas and Houston people who don't want to move back after leaving UT.

So your house in south austin , suddenly is now worth close to 1 million dollars and your brother's house in Steiner is worth 2 mill and suddenly Chris Bosh is at HEB buying some Shiner bock and some Doritos.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

I like when people who are from Texas talk about Texas instead of people living in Delaware pretending to know what the hell is going on .

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Remember when people swear they saw Robert Plant shopping at Fiesta??? LOL