1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rotation by Silas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 21, 2021.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Sorry but I have to vent my frustration on yesterday’s game. It was a very winnable game but I thought the reason we lost was the rotation by Silas.

1. Either one of Dipo/EG/Wood should be on the court at all times. Taking them all out makes no sense at all. I think you can have Dipo leading our second unit because he is our best individual offensive player right now. With him on the floor we could probably avoid scoring droughts.

2. Tate and Nwaba shouldn’t be on the court at the same time. Two bad shooters kill the spacing. I don’t think Nwaba should even be playing. Can’t shoot and fouls too much when defending. Sterling Brown is more versatile and smarter.

3. The start of the 4th quarter the Suns made a run and we never recovered. I don’t know if Dipo was on minute restriction but Silas did nothing. For five and a half minutes he made no adjustments. No timeout or substitution. And the lead ballooned to double digit. When he finally did something and put Dipo and Wood back, we made a run.

Rocket River likes this.
  2. xaos

xaos Member

As I was watching I seriously thought we are actively tanking.

chadyang, Rocket River, fattz and 2 others like this.
  3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I actually like the way we play. Lots of passing and movements. But he is not putting the right personnel on the court.

xaos likes this.
  4. jaychi

jaychi Member

that's what i first thought. they were doing well at the end of the 3rd then a weird and wrong lineup to start the fourth and he let them play until the 7th minute when the suns made the run. I think he is resting Dipo too long too. It's nice someone noticed it too. Hope he noticed it too. EG was and is playing well too.

ashleyem likes this.
  5. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

The same rotation issue happened in Chicago. Back to back games Silas waited too long to bring back the starters in the 4th quarter.

BigShasta and ashleyem like this.
  6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Rookie mistakes, hopefully he learns from them..

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

His timeouts are still much more on point than MDA

chadyang and fattz like this.
  8. paboy1984

paboy1984 Member

Silas is just not a good coach

9. xaos

xaos Member

I agree. Silas is amazing. I meant the lineups seemed almost intentionally tanking

ashleyem likes this.
  10. OpportunityCost

5 out offensive is hideous. Please scrap it. Give us more of what we were running against the
    Spurs. That was so fun to watch and to root for. I won't waste my time watching the 5 out, ISO ball.

11. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I agree and I think it's soft tanking using the injuries as an excuse to test rotations. I also think they may be big on the Mason Jones Scoring from the bench and that's why they are running with that lineup.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. carib

carib Member

We have to keep in mind that we have a lot of key players who have had major surgeries and missed a lot of games over the last two years. Not sure who is on minutes restrictions but staying healthy is a big worry for this team given the injury history.
    Figuring out the right mix on the floor has been rough with 9 different starting lineups, injuries, COVID self isolation and new system etc.
    I see the OP's and others point about the team being out of sync on offense at times in the Suns game and few other games before, and it might be more to do with the coach sorting the various players strengths in terms of the mix and their roles as previously mentioned.
    For the other rotation players outside of Wood, Dipo, Wall, EG, Brown and Jones who all score in a variety of ways, the roles need to be more consistent offensively. Really tough with guys in and out of the lineup during practice.
    Cousins, needs to establish himself more in post using more pump fakes against quicker or aggressive bigs for him to score or get to the line. When he has the ball at the top of the key he should keep looking for slashers like Nwaba, Brown, Tate and others cutting to the basket as he has done.
    Tate is a good all round player, his 3 pt shot will get better as he adjusts from the Australian league 3pt line to the NBA 3 pt line. When he drives, if he can't get to the basket due shotblockers or the defense collapsing the paint he needs to continue to find shooters like, Dipo, EG, BMac, Brown, Jones or Tucker in the corner.
    Nwaba is a good defensive player, good slasher to the basket, until his 3 pt shooting form from last season returns they need to utilize his quickness on the offensive end more (cutting to the basket). He is one of the guys (Tucker, Tate, EG also) the rockets can use defensively when dealing with a high scoring opponent wing.
    BMac, needs to get screens or wait for a drive and kick to get open, he is one of the better spot up 3 pt shooters on the team. Once he is on the court they should be looking more to get him open looks and space the floor.
    Tucker needs to stretch the floor with his corner 3's and crash the boards when someone else puts a shot up.
    Hopefully the players find their better perimeter spots and keep on shooting threes and teams 3pt% shooting climbs.
    Hopefully no more long two point attempts from Dipo, Wall, Wood, EG, Brown or Jones (unless trying to beat the shot clock), I prefer if they get much closer to the rim (like 10 feet or less) and pull up for a jumper instead.

ashleyem and Rocket River like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A Lack of an offseason, PreSeason, Practice and consistency in the Roster.

Rocket River

chadyang likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Getting Better?

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Post Ups are the least efficient shot in terms of cost/reward
    and that's why it's not winning basketball

D-rock likes this.
  17. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Postups for just about everyone outside of a few elite players (Embiid, Jokic, Sengun soon) are as useful as a mid-range not shot by CP3, KD, or Leonard.

I see both as a pressure release valve when the defense plays you perfectly and forces you into a bad shot, never something to actively seek.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Its fools gold....because you can send players to crash the
    boards from those mid range shots of CP3 and others.

The post up brings defenders closer to the rim which quite
    often results in box outs. Most often the post up ends as an
    8 to 12 foot fadeaway.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

True, but you tend to get fouled far more often on post-ups than mid-range jumpers.

I do agree on your second point, a post-up not going at the rim is a wasted possession.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I disagree, most post tend to result in a 8' to 12" fadeaway.

Fadeaways are rarely fouled.

Sengun shoots mid-range more towards the modest end with
    Jokic than with Embiid.

per basketball-reference.com
    21/22: 10 feet to 16 feet
    Sengun: 7 (FGM)....14 (FGA)..... .500 [ 39 games small sample size ]
    Jokic...: 35 (FGM)...66 (FGA)..... .530 [ 39 games ]
    Embiid: 70 (FGM)..157 (FGA).... .446 [ 34 games ]